1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

One site that covers many niches or Many sites each for a different niche?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Octohedron, Apr 15, 2014.

?

One site that covers many niches or many sites for each individual niche?

1. One site that covers many niches is better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Many different sites that cover different niches is better.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Both are okay, even if your site approaches completely different niches.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I dont know.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
    After starting my first "big site" I decided to keep adding sections and sections.

Now I wonder if its not better to start many different sites with different domains each in their individual niche.

Example
    • A big site with a photography section, a section about music, a section about cars and a section about digital art etc
    Or
    • A site about photography
    • Another site about music
    • Another site about cars
    • Another site about digital art
    • etc

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Octohedron, Apr 15, 2014 IP
  2. DEBooks

DEBooks Guest

Best Answers:
    It is best to have a particular theme per site . Therefore it is best to create a separate site for each niche
    On your contact page you coul put "hot" lonks to the other sites for those that are interested

DEBooks, Apr 16, 2014 IP
  3. Octohedron

Octohedron Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea figured, gotta remake all what i've done and buy some domains lol.

Octohedron, Apr 16, 2014 IP
  4. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    If the niches are closely related, go for one site. For example, photography and digital art would work together, as they're similar (well, no, they're not... but you know what I mean - they're both visual arts) and the people who visit one may well be interested in the other. Music and cars are kinda different, though. :)

TIEro, Apr 16, 2014 IP
  5. Octohedron

Octohedron Peon

Best Answers:
    Good. That is exactly the type of thing i was considering.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Octohedron, Apr 16, 2014 IP
  6. nixande

nixande Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Before buying a lot of costly domains (it will start to get expensive) you could also think about one big site name which then has subsections which you run as subdomain sites, however, separate domain names are better. Especially since search engines as well as visitors like separated topics in order to rank you for authority.

As it is unlikely that you are good at all of these things equally, you might want to make one page your main page which you then vamp up to full potential before moving on to another and put into perspective what the competition is. Also what your monetization is supposed to be - times when people go through search to website from a desktop are over, they surf on their smartphones on facebook, with all implications.

Alternative: build everything with categories under one big main topic. I am not interstd in a site about 15 different areas, but i might be interested in a site about a topic Digital Art which then has interesting content in the subsections "Digital Art music style". Content planning and roadmap probably are very important to make it worth your while.

nixande, Apr 18, 2014 IP
    TIEro likes this.