1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How and where to get high paying clients

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by mr.sidney, Mar 20, 2014.

1. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've had success on craigslist. I offer wordpress services. I try to pitch my services as 1) Highly responsive and attentive to the clients needs 2) quick turnaround 3) flexibility. Showing the clients that they are getting a SERVICE and a PRODUCT at the same time is valuable. My 2c.

rmt99e, Mar 28, 2014 IP
    Rebecca likes this.
  2. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    Also - if you deliver good services you will get referrals from your clients. I have got tons of business of referrals. Build your network.

rmt99e, Mar 28, 2014 IP
  3. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the list Rebecca.:)
    Photoshop tutorials are indeed greatly in demand. I think there is a big need for content related to programming as well - tutorials especially. But you need at least a basic command (of programming) to be able to write effectively. Also not sure about how well you get paid on most of the sites. Looking for some good-paying ones actually.

Anyway, I have found another page that lists around 25 sites paying in higher brackets.
    http://www.workersonboard.com/Higher_Pay_Writing_Jobs.html

Hope this is useful.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    Content Maestro, Mar 28, 2014 IP
    Rebecca likes this.
  4. hnicolassuero

hnicolassuero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Rebecca: That's an amazing source of writing jobs.

hnicolassuero, Apr 4, 2014 IP
  5. damarndis

damarndis Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Agree with u.....two thumbs up

damarndis, Apr 7, 2014 IP
  6. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some good points, but I don't agree completely. While you do take some smaller jobs in the beginning on a site like ODesk, if you do too many $4 projects, then the only experience that you show is that you can do $4 projects.

I say again, big clients look for big writers. If you want a job that pays $25 per hour, you will have a very hard time if all you have to show are a bunch of little $10 article jobs and a couple of websites you did for $6 an hour.

The client who undersand the value of his business will shy away from hiring what he perceives to be a cheap writer. in the mind of a client, if you're worth so much, why are you working so cheap?

It's a balancing act. yes, take 2 or even 4 small jobs, but work your way up. Have an opinon of yourself as quality and act like it. don't be afraid to go after a good job. Go beyond your comfort zone and you'll make some money.

SCookAAM, Apr 8, 2014 IP
    mr.sidney and Content Maestro like this.
  7. hitman02

hitman02 Peon

Best Answers:
    For my travel online luxury meg i pay between 5 et 10 usd for 400 to 450 words depending of the delay but it is for top quality writers native english and with travel writing experience. If it is for seo text with mistake and bad writting 1 usd is the rate

hitman02, Apr 8, 2014 IP
  8. Gregory Kowalski

Gregory Kowalski Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is all about your perception, and how you position yourself in the market,
    If you start cheaply, then it would be extremely hard to take this label off that you are "cheap", you offer "cheap services" etc.

Marketing and box/package are key factors here, see how your present yourself and how the market or your clients perceive your value,

Below links were very helpful for me, please have a look at these advices:
    1. http://www.thelaunchcoach.com/how-to-get-more-high-paying-customers
    2. http://www.deckmeyer.com/how-to-attract-high-end-clients/
    3. http://seamlesssuccess.com/business-success/5-simple-strategies-for-attracting-high-end-clients-and-customers/
    4. http://www.raintoday.com/blog/want-high-value-clients-offer-a-high-value-experience/
    5. http://actionplan.blogs.com/weblog/2011/02/five-steps-to-high-end-clients.html
    These strategies to attract high-end clients will work with every business.

Gregory Kowalski, Apr 12, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  9. mr.sidney

mr.sidney Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I will definitely check them out.

mr.sidney, Apr 13, 2014 IP
  10. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm amused that this is the best answer, as it's not true. All my high-paying, regular clients have come from bidding sites. It is, of course, true that it's harder to find them there, but it's not true that you won't get them.

TIEro, Apr 13, 2014 IP
  11. prince mondal

prince mondal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Rebecca,
    If I do work outside of any marketplace, how do I get payment grantee?
    Thanks

prince mondal, May 7, 2014 IP
  12. transcriber

transcriber Member

Best Answers:
    When you really think about it, writers don't need tons of clients from freelancing sites to make a livingn. Really good writers need just one to two major clients that can give them a continuous flow of job. Stay clear of freelancing sites. They'll only drain you out. Instead, focus your efforts in looking for that one client that can sustain your lifestyle and nurture your talent at the same time. The working experience will be more fulfilling as well.

transcriber, May 21, 2014 IP
  13. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    I cannot agree with the post above. While locating and sustaining a smaller number of long term clients is certainly a good idea, putting all of your eggs into one basket is not.

These types of clients come after some time of weeding trhough others. Freelance websites, for all of their troubles, do supply a steady stream of quality clients who may or may become permanent and who may or may not generate referrals.

The reality of writing professionally is that their are far fewer long-term high-paying clients who will "sustain" your lifestyle than there are short-term jobs. Every short term job can potentially lead to more,

And how else would you find that 1 or 2 or 3 awesome clients unless you seek many? Either on freelance sites or through your own direct efforts.

In most cases, those cocoveted clients are lucked into. Any business - and that's what we are - that thrives is one that is aggressive. Yes, you can't live on blogs alone, but you can focus on what you want.

Sorry to toot my own horn here, but this is exactly what I wrote about in my book. And it's what it costs $99 - because it's valuable and teaches writers how to actually make a living.

So, to sum up, I'm not bagging on searching for that small group of great customers, but I am bagging on the idea that it's made to be sooo easy. I've been a writer for years and have also started and run several successful businesses, and I can assure you that sitting around and waiting for one good client will get you a sure trip to the poor house.

Transcriber's advice has merit, but don't give up on freelancing. Not entirely, at least :)

SCookAAM, May 21, 2014 IP
  14. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with ScookAAM's points above. It's quite understandable that the rates majority of employers offer on freelance sites are surprisingly poor. However, giving up on them completely is not advisable. There are some high or at least good paying clients in search of serious and quality writers who keep on visiting these sites time and again. If you have a portfolio to showcase that you have good writing skills and can convince these clients that you will be able to deliver their pay's worth, you don't need to vie for the low-paying jobs. This way, even sites where freelance gigs are available (which are otherwise considered the hub of lower-end writing market) can become good and useful resources for hunting clients that pay better.

I don't know whether the undermentioned point has been discussed in this thread, but it depends on the writer for the most part. If you always bid low and price your work stingily to grab a large number of jobs, that's what you will end up doing all the time. Your profile will demonstrate that you work ONLY for the nickel-and-dime segment. Higher paying clientele will never or leastways hesitate to approach such writers. On the other hand, if such writers proactively ever approach these employers, rejection is the only possible outcome. Know your quality, be confident about it, refuse to work for rates that don't justify your ability, time and skills and you will eventually find yourself working for the higher-paying patronage. This takes time and you might not make it at the word go, but being patient and not giving up or persevering is the key here.

I also second the point about referrals. There may be a time when you have to take up jobs that don't pay what you wish, esp. when you are a novice in the writing industry and don't have a strong portfolio or other ways to prove your merit or when the market is badly depressed. But if you try to work to the satisfaction of whatever clientele you have gathered, give your best and deliver good quality consistently, there are high chances that people who have hired you will refer your work to their contacts and this directly increases your prospects. IMO, referring is an equally important factor that drives your target audience or market towards you and makes your business run and expand as much as directly approaching potential clients does.

Hope this helps.:)

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    Content Maestro, May 21, 2014 IP
    SCookAAM and mr.sidney like this.
  15. mr.sidney

mr.sidney Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Even though freelancing sites can be a huge struggle, I`ve come to realize that they`re not really a lost cause.It`s very easy to give up especially if you`re just starting out and the number of worthy gigs doesn`t equal the amount of time that you spend sending job applications.I wish it would be easier, but you have to start at the bottom of the ladder and rise gradually.
    I`m happy to say that I`m not in the same place I was when I started this thread.Persistence and consistency will definitely move you places.However, I still believe there should be an easier way to get high paying clients, besides the freelancing sites where you have to be `nice` to clients who don`t even deserve it, so as to maintain your ratings and ensure you`ll attract more jobs tomorrow.
    I agree with SCookAAM, that freelancing sites might provide you with a steady flow of clients, but Transcriber also makes a strong point. There should be an easier way to get high paying clients, which does not involve having to work for lower rates just to build a portfolio.
    The only problem I have is that sometimes people are quick to downplay the freelancing sites, but they don`t give you an alternative.

mr.sidney, May 21, 2014 IP
  16. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised how seldom this thread appears on forums, to be honest, because it's the writing equivalent of "How can I make money online?" - the subject is enormous (had to resist putting about a dozen 'o's in there, it's so big), it depends on millions of factors and there is no easy answer.

I've seen, read and experienced dozens of books, courses, articles and guides which all promise to show you how to find great clients and everything. The truth is that none of them do... and all of them do. (This is where you go "Huh?")

The thing is, it's different for everyone but it always boils down to the one unpleasant truth that so few people seem willing to say: you have to work for it. Everyone wants the spoon-fed, easy, step-by-step, "follow this guide" route, but there isn't one. Well, there is... but the only step is to put in loads of hard work, just like in any freelance job.

I won't go on for ages and ages, so I'll just sum up my experience from the past six years or so in the one really important thing I've learned: price is inversely proportional to simplicity.

In other words:

(a) if you want high-paying clients and jobs that don't offer low wages, you have to spend hours and hours hunting around, contacting potential clients, weeding through crappy jobs, applying online and off, getting kicked back, picking yourself up and doing it again. And again. And again.

(b) if you want everything easy and simple, you'll work for less money (on the bidding sites and places like iWriter and so on) because you're effectively giving a cut of the high prices to the site for making your life so much easier. It's like working for a company - they do the advertising, they handle portfolio presentation, they handle job listings, they handle sales. They get paid full price, you get your wages.

There is: expect (and ask for) more money at the start. :)

That's because it can't be written into a three-line forum post. How have freelancers always found clients? By expending shoe leather (whether real or virtual), trawling around, advertising, promoting themselves, publishing their own stuff and contacting people who might need their services.

Personally, I love the freelancing sites. I love the GPT sites (seriously, a few cents for two lines? Cool.). I love Postloop. I love sites like Textbroker and WLE. I'm not so keen on iWriter because it's so easy to get screwed, but the idea is great.

There's a place in the market for every price level - if you don't like the low wages, just don't use those sites... and do all the job-hunting work yourself.

Edit: sorry, that went on for ages even though I said it wouldn't. :)

TIEro, May 22, 2014 IP
  17. mr.sidney

mr.sidney Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for going on and on for ages, but you`ve made a strong point :) though cheeky in some way ;).I agree that nothing comes easy, but if someone provides you with a map the journey becomes easier because you won`t have to spend a lot of time getting lost and having to find your way back.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    mr.sidney, May 22, 2014 IP
  18. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Always cheeky. :)

Maps are odd things when it comes to earning online: they only work if you think and approach work in the same way as the author. What works for them might fall flat on its face for you.

That said, I didn't want to give the impression that guides/books/courses are not worthwhile. They ALL offer help and guidance, but there is no guaranteed step-by-step path to success. They can only ever offer rough advice - to avoid the potholes and silly mistakes, as you say - but never a step-by-step.

For example, Samar Owais does an excellent course on switching from low-pay to high-pay clients. Spike Wyatt's Half Hog book is great for people who don't want to do marketing. ProBlogger is still an awesome reference for people going the blogging route. I'm sure SCookAAM's book is excellent, too, though I've never read it.

Just don't expect anyone to hand you a "formula" that will make everything as easy as baking a cake. :)

TIEro, May 22, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro and mr.sidney like this.
  19. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for those excellent points, Maestro. Especially about the very important undertone of being a good wirter who knows what they're worth.

Just for the record, I have several ODesk client, hat are ongoing who are paying me rates that range from $20 per hour to $80. Interesting, how as time goes by and you increase your rates, you still have to do work for the older clients lol. it's ok, though.

if you want to be a well-paid writer, you have to be good at it. There's no way around that one :)

SCookAAM, May 22, 2014 IP
  20. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Re: Kindly advice me where to get well-paying clients.Thanks!

Elance!
    Based on my experience (I ordered 100s of blog posts from many different writers), I agree that when paying less than $1/100 words you get crap. Again, it depends what you need it for: if I need content for Tier 2 blogs I am fine paying 0.3-0.5c/word to some Indian writers with half-decent English because nobody is going to read it anyway :)
    Yet, when I need content for prime blogs, I am hiring people who know how to write and have flawless English: I usually end-up paying 1.5c/word for original content and 1c/word for rewrites.
    I post my jobs on Elance, for example there is now an open job to supply 20 health articles rewrites per month (open ended). I plan to pay $10 per 1000 words article there...

Jeffr2014, May 23, 2014 IP