1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Web design feedback

Discussion in 'Design' started by Dane Dillon, Mar 31, 2014.

Can i get some feedback on how i can improve this design:
    https://www.behance.net/gallery/K9-Travel-Agency/15722805

Dane Dillon, Mar 31, 2014 IP
    Max Singapore likes this.
  2. online virtual assistant

online virtual assistant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    it's nice but it's just mockup. You will get complete feedback when it will live... :)

Max Singapore likes this.
  3. Megamon

Megamon Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You did an amazing job i could say i have no complains to make you know what you are doing:)

Goodluck and keep it up the good job:D

Megamon, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  4. Dane Dillon

Dane Dillon Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks :D, Just started web design though, have less than 2 months experience but i am slowly getting better and thanks for the encouragement.

5. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I love your design, very user friendly and catchy. Very :windows8: i must say. Keep up the good work!

webcosmo, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  6. Dane Dillon

Dane Dillon Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks :) I wanted to take a different approach instead of the traditional top navigation bar and plane text on the page.

7. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    --- edit --- my bad, I reviewed the site he had his pictures on, NOT his pictures... I'm leaving the rest of this post up for humor factor alone.

Well... first off lose that STUPID MALFING IDIOTIC HALFWIT 'Javascript for nothing' menu crap that 'allegedly' helps responsive on mobile and instead makes the page impossible to use on small displays and sucks users batteries dry. Whoever came up with that (and I'm seeing it on a lot of sites now) needs to be dragged around the back o' the woodshed and put down like Old Yeller.

While it's nice to see an attempt at responsive design, the fixed metric fonts and lack of elasticity really pisses on the accessibility part of that. Illegible absurdly undersized px fonts is NOT good design.

Likewise that goofy broken scrolling/fixed sidebar crap on desktop is a massive waste of code and near as I can tell doesn't work right here. I'd swing a giant axe at that.

Under the hood it's the usual train wreck of jumping the gun on HTML 5 (or as I call it the worst of 1997 style coding practices), starting out with that stupid malfing halfwit "Let's wrap the HTML tag in a half dozen IE CC's to cover up developer ineptitude" CRAP that Paul Irish came up with, which of course means -- Huh, I figured it was blueprint or bootstrap, but can't find the include for it... whatever idiotic trash framework that was sleazed otu with, do yourself a huge favor and get rid of it!!!

See this train wreck of pointless bloated nonsense for why:
    <body class="logged-out flag-inbox-v2 corepacki networki no-padding project-view project-styles show-cta editor-version-4 no-right-column be-network"  owners="199682">

<script type="text/javascript">
        require(['has'], function(has) {
          $(document.body)
          .addClass(has('touch') ? 'has-touch' : 'no-has-touch')
          .addClass(has('input-placeholder-standard') ? 'has-placeholders' : 'no-has-placeholders');
        });
        </script>

<div id="navmenui-primary" class="">
                        <div class="navmenui-primary-content grid-site cfix">
                          <div class="navmenui-left left cfix"><ul class="left nav-large nav-items cfix"><li class="nav-item nav-item-logo cfix first" id="nav_item_logo"><a    class="nav-item-logo-link nav-sprite nav-sprite-logo" href="/"><div class="nav-text">
    Code (markup):
    If you don't know what's wrong with that, do the world a huge favor, back the **** away from the keyboard, and take up something a bit less dangerous like macramé. A brief explanation of what's wrong with the above goes something like this:

<body>

<div id="top"><div class="widthWrapper">
    	<h1>
    Code (markup):
    ... and that's before it even gets to the first bit of CDATA... Hence the completely absurd 61k of markup to deliver 2.1k of plaintext and a dozen content images -- as much as SIX TIMES the HTML that should have been used for such a simple site.

... and what a fine example of everything WRONG with that approach to development it is; endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless classes for nothing, static style in the markup, static scripting in the markup, scripting doing CSS' job, endless pointless META nothing actually gives a flying purple fish about, little if anything remotely resembling semantic markup, separation of presentation from content... I could go on for quite a while. (It is 61k of markup doing 10k's job after all...)

Which of course is how it ends up a massive and ridiculous 3.4 MEGABYTES in 51 files -- setting aside the absurd 1.5 megabytes of content images (that should be more like 500k if you bothered encoding them right), the 1.2 megabytes of "I can haz intarnets" scripttardery and 200k of CSS "FOR WHAT?!?" is such mind-numbingly bad trash that I truly pity anyone dumb enough to deploy that as a live site.

My advice, throw it out and start over from scratch using a recommendation doctype, semantic markup, separation of presentation from content, elastic semi-fluid responsive layout -- WITHOUT any of those stupid frameworks and pointless "gee ain't it neat" scripttardery.

As I'm saying four or five times a day now, it belongs in the trash, as there is nothing I'd even try to salvage from that buggy bloated slow loading inaccessible MESS!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    deathshadow, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    First, I was laughing all the way to the end of your post.

I didn't know anyone still used that word. And with the french character! :)

Also, where did you get the code for his K9 travel agency project? I mean, it's just the images of the project that he listed on behance. Are you trashing behance? Because I don't think that K9 site is available to view. Or am I missing something??

qwikad.com, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wait, you're saying he linked to some goofy drawings of what a website MIGHT look like?

My bad, never heard of "behance" -- wow, that's a steaming pile -- so that's NOT what he wanted reviewed? My bad, I assume when someone wants a site reviewed they link to the site. To be honest, I never would have thought those pictures were even OF an actual website, as... well...

My answer would be much better if what's to be reviewed is those images; given they appear to use massive background images that have no business on websites, false simplicity thanks to icons nobody knows what they *** mean, illegible color contrasts (white on light green? REALLY?), and reeks of "But I can do it in photoshop" fixed layout asshattery. Laundry list of how not to DESIGN a website.

Though that's par for the course when someone starts dicking around in photoshop before they have content, semantic markup of said content, and responsive layouts built in CSS. Drawing goofy pictures in some halfwit paint program is NOT web design, no matter how many artsy-fartsy types crap all over the Internet claiming such.

deathshadow, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  10. Dane Dillon

Dane Dillon Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback both good and bad. But @deathshadow was criticism that drawn out and harsh necessary? It is possible to critique something and say something negative without sounding like an ass. Thanks anyway :D

Dane Dillon, Apr 1, 2014 IP
  11. Vagz

Vagz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try waiting until your site is "review ready" before posting...then deathshadow's harsh criticism will seem more justifiable

Vagz, Apr 3, 2014 IP
  12. NextGe

NextGe Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is a good design. Consider you only have two months experience in web design. Maybe you really have some talent!

NextGe, Apr 5, 2014 IP
  13. shurpa

shurpa Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Looks like a great concept. It feels very Metro-eqsue (Windows 8). I'm curious to see how you'll code it.

shurpa, Apr 8, 2014 IP