1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Coding article spinner

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Vooler, Apr 4, 2014.

I had an idea that I would like to share in DP is a php based article spinner that is based on synonyms. I would like fellows to evaluate and suggest me improvements, as I plan to make it open and free to use:

Article Spinner
    http://www.mukalma.com/spinn/

Thanks for you input...

stay well ..

Vooler, Apr 4, 2014 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a bit unsure as to what this is supposed to be used for - are you thinking it should be able to "rewrite" a text using rephrasing an synonyms? Or are you just thinking about some suggestions which can help when you don't really wanna use the words you have, and wants suggestions?
    If it's the first, you need to do a LOT of work - and as plenty of vastly greater entities (say, Google) has understood, making a natural language flow in a web-app is NOT easy - as the example text shows when you click on rephrase - the rephrase doesn't make any sense.
    Getting synonyms isn't very hard, but having it all fit in a coherent text is a whole different matter - also, this would (as far as I understand) just be available in English (as catering for other languages wouldn't just be about the different words and phrases, but also catering for different grammar and syntax).
    It's a very ambicious idea, and it would be awesome if it works, but currently, it doesn't (unless I misunderstood the basis)

PoPSiCLe, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    Vooler likes this.
  3. Ryan Viola

Ryan Viola Member

Best Answers:
    Lol.... these things are not working NOW for Search engines.

Ryan Viola, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    Vooler likes this.
  4. Vooler

Vooler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for detailed reply; well the first one [too] :) am talking about. I want to equip this tool with POS [part of speech] Tagger tool as well thatwill enable it to really shuffle the sentences. What you say about it ?

Vooler, Apr 4, 2014 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    ROFL
    I put in this
    and got back
    I think it would be easier just to do it manually because it would take so long to work through the original to find how on earth I ended up with "squad edifice corporates" and then change it something more reasonable. Even then I'd be worried I'd missed something.
    I have no idea what a remainder home is but it sounds nasty.

Repeated requests returned the same result - if you were going to pursue this (and I'd recommend not) then you have to be able to churn out more than one version.

sarahk, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    Vooler likes this.
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Ooh, the output from that can be really funny. Reminds me of the episode of News Radio where Jimmy James has his biography of his rise on Wall Street translated to Japanese then back to English because it tanked in the US but was a bestseller in Japan.

Though my scammy sense is tingling, since most 'spinners' are used by people who are trying to rip off other people's content without getting caught...

deathshadow, Apr 5, 2014 IP
    Vooler likes this.
  7. AbstractChaos

AbstractChaos Member

Best Answers:
    Though I don't like the possible nefarious uses of it, I like the concept... that being said you cannot simply rely on synonyms.

When replacing a word try to first understand its context, that will enable you to notice things like
    shouldn't be
    While an option is like a 'derivative instrument' in this context closer to choice, unsure how this could be achieve except maybe weighting the possible synonyms against others in the text (in this example Cruises could be an indicator that its likely not on about stock trading).

This link also has some good ideas about determining context.
    http://umumble.com/blogs/Artificial_intelligence/308/

Abs

AbstractChaos, Apr 5, 2014 IP
    Vooler and sarahk like this.
  8. ThePHPMaster

ThePHPMaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like it. You should work on it so that it is more realistic in spinning.

ThePHPMaster, Apr 5, 2014 IP
    Vooler likes this.
  9. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Technically speaking, the main thing to improve would be contextual replacement: spotting phrases, how particular words are used, which of several similarly-spelled words is appropriate and so on.

From the point of view of a user, rather than as a technical exercise, I have only one comment/question: why bother doing this? Spun articles are always instantly identifiable and completely useless for any purpose other than spotting funny sentences. They're just word-vomit.

TIEro, Apr 5, 2014 IP
    Vooler likes this.