1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do You Use Google Trends for Research?

Discussion in 'Google' started by BradySEO, Mar 5, 2014.

Hi guys,

I'm pretty good with most tools in the book when it comes to keyword research, but I've never played around with Google Trends. I've heard it's a great tool to discover niches.

How exactly would this process work? Basically, how do you use Google Trends?

BradySEO, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  2. phptechie

phptechie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have little experience that I can share with you

I use Google Trends to compare 2 or more keywords , so that it will give you an insight on actual competition & no. of searches queried in Google for each of those words . That will help you to understand the traffic potential for those keywords & you can select the best that is suitable for your website or online business.

For Ex:
    If you are a Freelance Wordpress Developer & you have a portfolio & your target audiences are people searching for wordpress programmer / developers / freelancers.
    Now you don't know which keyword yields best traffic from organic search by google , then Trends will help you analyze the traffic based on those keywords & will give you a detailed summary on the traffic stats for those keywords.

Assuming you are searching for WORDPRESS PROGRAMMER , WORDPRESS DEVELOPER , WORDPRESS FREELANCER in Trends

http://www.google.com/trends/explor... , WORDPRESS DEVELOPER , WORDPRESS FREELANCER

you will see the stats as shown in the above URL.

This will give you info about the Geographic details from where the queries had been requested & also you will get some suggestions on related keywords

There is lot more to do with Trends , but just gave you a brief details on how I have been using it.

Hope it helps :)

phptechie, Mar 5, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  3. BradySEO

BradySEO Member

Best Answers:
    BradySEO, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  4. phptechie

phptechie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome @BradySEO , if you spend sometime playing around with Trends , you would still be amused on the features it has & you can use it wisely to decide your target keywords

All the best :)

phptechie, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  5. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've used trends to some extent and it can be helpful. Understanding trends and keywords can help increase traffic a bit.

danasurvey, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  6. Babur

Babur Member

Best Answers:
    Google trends also gives you an over view if you are targeting a seasonal keyword or its a hot keyword for whole year. Hope that helps.

Babur, Mar 22, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  7. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    Did you use also Google Hot Trends? it displays the top 20 fastest rising search-terms of the past hour in the United States

danasurvey likes this.
  8. MOURAD78

MOURAD78 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes I Use it To Found a Veritable nich it's awesome

MOURAD78, Mar 27, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  9. Oskar28

Oskar28 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use google trend for keyword ideas search, it is more helpful in searching up to 3 to 5 tier keyword search layering.

Oskar28, Mar 27, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  10. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google trend just give you the approximation means in the upcomming time this keywords are going to search more or ...... In this way helps you in planning for the future. With the help of it you can plan your future approach which includes optimising your content, keywords etc. :)

John Dave, Mar 31, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  11. dailycoins

dailycoins Member

Best Answers:
    I'm using Google trends all the time and find it very valuable tool for anyone who like to grow their business and stay up to date what their customers want. It's great for finding out when demand is highest for the specific product and to discover competitive advantages.

I don't know why people don't use it more as it can really give you insight what's going on around your niche.

dailycoins, Apr 2, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  12. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I used to love Hot Trends, back in the day when it showed 100 search terms (I think it was) & it had a live RSS feed, I used to scrape the feed for the words, send them to my RSS importer in wordpress & then have that on auto post, then in the post/page itself I had several more RSS feeds that pulled content from various news sites based on the Google Hot Trends key word, so say if the trending term was "hot dogs"the post would automatically update with hot dog content... it was pretty damn good - until Google cracked down on automated content & started eliminating scraper sites like mine. Nowadays Google is on to key word spam & the use of Hot Trends so it's a bit shite if you plan to go black hat with it... or even just spam articles based on the terms. It's good for relevant terms related to your niche/site. Trends itself is also useful to find out what's hot or not in your niche - gives you something to write about or ideas.

thsadmin, Apr 2, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  13. TopSmyk

TopSmyk Member

Best Answers:
    Nowadays it only shows really big terms, so i don't use it anymore. I used to use it with the RSS feed as well!

TopSmyk, Apr 2, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  14. almyty

almyty Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yeah using google trends when it comes to research, sometimes it will find you awesome niches that really CAN get you much money

almyty, Apr 3, 2014 IP
  15. Boost_Software

Boost_Software Member

Best Answers:
    I thought this thread was about writing research, not keyword research. Therefore, I was going to say it with having alerts about topics that a writer is interested in so they can complete a certain assignment on that topic, but I see it works for finding keyword ideas.

Boost_Software, Apr 4, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  16. Owl Writer

Owl Writer Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I myself ever using those tools, and in my opinion, the tool is very useful to get different keywords.

Owl Writer, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  17. Panks7077

Panks7077 Member

Best Answers:
    First of all thanks to you for asking such good question. Most of the webmasters these days don't even know about Google trends. It is one of the major tool for SEO. It can be very beneficial if used strategically.

Panks7077, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  18. rankwatch.com

rankwatch.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google Trends can be pretty useful if you are looking to target a particular section. Compare upto 4 keywords and their trends over time and choose which one is the best.

rankwatch.com, Aug 28, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  19. LinnieMoneyMaker

LinnieMoneyMaker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Google trends is a genuine showcasing system apparatus that can be utilized for keyword research. In fact it should not contemplate simply any other keyword research tools.

LinnieMoneyMaker, May 27, 2015 IP
  20. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When it comes to keyword research don't just rely on one tool or another but also consider other platforms that will provide more effective results most importantly in real-time like Reddit discussions in the related field.

KylieSweet, May 28, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.