1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

google still considering directory links as backlinks?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by sendtogeo, Mar 13, 2014.

I can see many directory links as backlinks in google webmaster toll. Is google still considering directory links as backlinks?

sendtogeo, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  2. YJunK

YJunK Active Member

Best Answers:
    The answer to this question is "it depends". Sometimes directories aren't banned by google because they provide good, relevant links in logical niches. So, sometimes directories still work as backlinks, sometimes they don't.

YJunK, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  3. rahulmca2006

rahulmca2006 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Possibly that particular directory is not a spammy directory site that's why. Else Google only counts directories sites as spam nothing else. So, try to no to do off page submissions.

rahulmca2006, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  4. Patricianian

Patricianian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It still counts and quite honestly it works for me for niche keywords.

However, it all depends on which directory you're submitting to. Always ask your self would want a link from each directory/domain before you submit to it.. if your answer is yes it would help in term of backlinks and maybe traffic, go for it.. otherwise, you know you shouldn't submit to the directory or you will need to get that link removed in the future.

Patricianian, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  5. lbtriggerman

lbtriggerman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think it's still all about the directory's value. I also think that specific local directories carry more value now although still very minimal.

lbtriggerman, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  6. malteseo

malteseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. The backlinks in Google Webmaster Tools represent most of your actual backlinks, not all. In fact if you download them every day for a week for example, you will notice that some drop out and others pop up;
    2. You will find in the list all types of backlinks whether Google gives them any value or not, in fact even nofollow links are listed in there;
    3. As regarding directory links, if it's too easy to be included in any of them, then they're not good enough. I would suggest submitting only to high quality ones and ideally those authoritative in your niche.

malteseo, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  7. deepsk

deepsk Peon

Best Answers:
    i think high quality directories matters... Instead of submitting your site to low quality directories... Submit it to high qualities in same niche..

deepsk, Mar 16, 2014 IP
  8. karen9999

karen9999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google does not like links from low quality directories or bookmark sites. If you're submitting your website to hundreds of Internet directories that will never send you a single visitor, you don't need to bother. These links won't help your Google rankings. If a directory sends your website visitors, it's worth getting the link. You can ignore other directories.

karen9999, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  9. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on the directory.

ash1ey82, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  10. Fuel.Comp

Fuel.Comp Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google considers it as "SPAM" now a days. :)

Fuel.Comp, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  11. SEOArbiterJoanne

SEOArbiterJoanne Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Not all directories are the same. There are still a lot of valuable directories.

SEOArbiterJoanne, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  12. fadhi123

fadhi123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    any body share good free directory list ?

fadhi123, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  13. gknugurlu

gknugurlu Member

Best Answers:
    Google has changed its algorithm and not all directories are accepted as backlinks and most of them now are considered as spam links.
    The general ones for directory listing that get you high rankings are dmoz, yahoo directory, yellow pages. If you can get approval for being listed in their directories it would be enough. You can also use yellow pages, foursquare, and google places and other search engine places to locate your business location which will get you to appear in search results.
    You can check here this post where I've answered about web directory.
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...ssion-is-still-working.2708112/#post-18888069

And for your question, here are some list of directories that I had listed in one thread:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...is-still-working.2708112/page-3#post-18896951

gknugurlu, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  14. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the directory you are registering in is an authoritative business directory and if it provides with a dofollow backlink, only then it is considered as a backlink. Submissions made to low quality directories will not be counted.

MilesWeb, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  15. Dittmoe

Dittmoe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Google has cracked down big time on directories. Penalties are getting rolled out all the time to site owners because they have a bunch of directory links so be careful buddy.

Dittmoe, Mar 20, 2014 IP
  16. Lijo

Lijo Member

Best Answers:
    Google is nowadays Unpredictable. Directories are good source of backlink if its High Quality probably the Business Directory like Yellowpages etc not the normal one where 1000's of websites listed for seo purpose.

There is lot of debate going on whether to include directory in seo link building or not. Everyone has different answer, its better to avoid for now.

Lijo, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  17. enikram

enikram Active Member

Best Answers:
    99% of all the directories are spam. If they accept anchor text other than business name -they are spam. If they ask for money, 99% they are spam. If they arent categorized properly, they are spam. I personally don't think there are even 100 good free directories

enikram, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  18. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt if there are even ten. I've abandoned directory submission.

Jim4767, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  19. golden7849

golden7849 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Only submit to high quality directories, don't mass submit to thousand of sites

golden7849, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  20. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that DMOZ is a good example of high quality directory site that still considered by Google..

Patricia Ann Lee, Mar 31, 2014 IP