1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A new kind of social network "over the top"

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Deptroco, Mar 30, 2014.

Hi ! I just released a whole new kind of social network :

http://PoxiPoxi.com

The idea is : You put all your favorites posts (from Twitter, Instagram, Google+...) together in a single place, called Mix.

here is a Mix exemple : http://poxipoxi.com/antoine.debuisson.1

I'm very excited to hear your reviews!

if you like, help me to launch PoxiPoxi!!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Deptroco, Mar 30, 2014 IP
  2. meetdilip

meetdilip Active Member

Best Answers:
    You mean the site can pull users favourites from other sites ? Seems like a good idea to me.

meetdilip, Mar 30, 2014 IP
  3. mrgadget

mrgadget Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Your idea is not unique. I've seen some apps that can do the same thing. I think it would be better if you make a mobile app in this case. Just my 2cents

mrgadget, Mar 30, 2014 IP
  4. Deptroco

Deptroco Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly, that's the idea! Basically, it is an About.me but better! I'm so glad you like, help me to spread the world! Tell it to your friends! I've got only 10users :'(

I'm so agree with you, but creating an app requires some languages new to me...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
    Deptroco, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  5. AbstractChaos

AbstractChaos Member

Best Answers:
    so kind of like a pinterest board?

AbstractChaos, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's nice to see an elastic layout with dynamic fonts... no, it's REALLY nice. I mean it. I know, he's complimenting something... people's heads are likely exploding.

That said, not a fan of the tiny little boxes and three across layout -- an option for a flat one column delivery would be nice. Much like the steaming pile known as the start page on Windows 8, having everything in sloppy multi-column 'any-old-way' boxes would make it very hard for me to find... anything. (Though at least in your case they're not an illegible acid trip of color too). Never been a fan of that type of content layout.

Be really nice if you could post directly from it with accessible fonts -- that's my biggest problem with twitter and facebook, the fact I'm constantly having to play with the zoom thanks to their idiotic design teams having no clue what WCAG means, and declaring all their widths, breakpoints and fonts in pixels like some halfwit HTML 3.2 developer.

Which is probably why they're on the HTML 5 bandwagon since that's the target audience.

Under the hood it could use some markup cleanup, but for a HTML 5 train wreck it's one of the better I've seen; still I'd swing an axe at the HTML 5 bloat and pointless redundant HTML 5 tags, using logical heading orders instead of "everything's a H1" so it actually has accessibility again. 51k of markup for 2.8k of plaintext is likely four or five times what you actually need there.

deathshadow, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  7. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Just to give you an idea what I mean by pointless bloat, where you have this (618 bytes)
    <body><a href="#header" class="action scroll" id="scrollTop"></a><header id="header" class=""><nav><ul id="site-nav"><li><a id="logo" href="http://poxipoxi.com"></a></li><li><a href="http://poxipoxi.com/discover"><span class="title">Discover</span></a></li><li id="nav-toggle-container"><a href="#" class="img action" id="nav-toggle" data-active="0"></a></li></ul><ul id="user-nav"><li><div id="loader" class="img"></div></li><li><a href="http://poxipoxi.com/login"><span class="title">Login</span></a></li><li><a href="http://poxipoxi.com/signup"><span class="title">Create my Mix!</span></a></li></ul></nav></header>
    Code (markup):
    I'd have this (310 bytes)
    <div id="top">
    	<h1>
    		<a href="/">
    			<span>PXI</span>PXI
    			<b><!-- image replacement --></b>
    	</h1>
    	<ul id="mainMenu">
    		<li class="alternate"><a href="/discover">Discover</a></li>
    		<li><a href="/login">Login</a></li>
    		<li><a href="/signup">Create my Mix!</a></li>
    	</ul>
    <!-- #top --></div>
    Code (markup):
    Pretty much half the code -- there are sections in there that would be shrunk even further if you had semantic markup and didn't keep throwing endless pointless classes on things for nothing, and endless pointless wrappers for nothing. A is a perfectly good inline container, what the devil is that SPAN for? You've got perfectly good classes and ID's on parent elements, why are you throwing classes and ID's on their children?

... and really that pointless allegedly semantic HTML 5 bloat isn't helping you.

deathshadow, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  8. cyqnusnite

cyqnusnite Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You should resize the image in the header, it loads really slowly before it is cached.

cyqnusnite, Mar 31, 2014 IP
  9. Deptroco

Deptroco Peon

Best Answers:
    Not exactly, in fact you can publish only your favorites posts, not others's posts, however the design is close to the pinterest boards, you're right :D

Deptroco, Apr 1, 2014 IP
  10. Deptroco

Deptroco Peon

Best Answers:
    Woow thanks for your work, really apreciated! I will try to reduce the code size! Very good idea, however, I think links are better in absolute, to handle them when pages are situated in subfolders :/
    Yeah, the .title span is weird, I constructed him to handle two lines text (with subtitles), I will delete him.

Thanks! very interesting suggestions! You're helpfull!

Deptroco, Apr 1, 2014 IP
  11. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you mean by "in absolute"... Are you saying you aPo (absolute positioned) them? If so that's inflexible and probably part of why it fails at narrow widths.

Float the h1, set the LI to display:inline (since their default behavior will bite you in the ass in IE8), float the first anchor (using the .alertnate class) left, float the rest right. When there isn't enough room they drop (or use a media query to strip floats off them and set text-align:center on the parent.

deathshadow, Apr 1, 2014 IP