1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many points out of 10 do you give yourself for your time management, and why?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by malcsimm, Feb 21, 2013.

?

How many point out of 10 do you give yourself for your time management, and why?

1. 1

6.7%
  2. 2

6.7%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

16.7%
  5. 5

6.7%
  6. 6

13.3%
  7. 7

6.7%
  8. 8

13.3%
  9. 9

13.3%
  10. 10

16.7%
  1. sweeper240

sweeper240 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    HI Malc,

It seems like you find some concurrence with your personal beliefs here. If you would like to share specific tips I would be happy to share back and forth with you. One specific that I am passionate about is data management; working with hierarchical folder/label structures, that make sense.

In some ways its easy for a hierarchy to get out of control or generate extensive multilevel complexity but without a hierarchy a giant mess can be created that is nearly impossible to sort after the fact.

sweeper240, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  2. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, interesting.

As far as storing data goes - files, folders - I agree that having a decent structure is important.

For example:
    Projects: Each project I work on has a unique project code. This is allocated in a mind map. For example IM33 will be my next IM project. H12 my next health project. I only have IM, H, and M for miscellaneous.

Any files relating to that project are also named "IM33 XYZ planning", etc, and stored in my IM/Projects/IM33/XYZ folder.

I then use the same codes as tags in Evernote to tag any notes to do with that project.

Tasks: I use Evernote to implement Getting Things Done for time management. I describe this here. It is a fantastic combination for efficiency.

http://heymalc.com/time-management-made-really-easy-gtd-evernote

Desktop search: I make extensive use of tools to help me find documents and folders. This means that if I have not touched a project for 6 months and then return to it, I will more easily be able to find every file relating to it.

For this, I use:
    - Everything desktop search which is blisteringly fast and is used if you know the file name. Eg you can enter "xls project xyz", it will find every excel file whose name contains that project whether or not it is in the usual folder. It is free.
    http://download.cnet.com/Everything/3000-2379_4-10890746.html

- X1 - for when Everything is not enough, X1 indexes every word in every file on your computer or external hard drives. Including Outlook pst files. This is paid for.
    http://www.x1.com/ I use "X1 professional client."

- A folder utility - I use Chameleon folder. It's free. All my frequently used folders are accessible in a couple of mouse clicks. This is a nice hierarchy.
    http://www.chameleon-managers.com/

These tools help me to organise my data and to find it quickly.

Any more tips you would like to share would be very welcome.

Malc :)

malcsimm, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  3. My Property Stores

My Property Stores Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't require to take any feed back process, mainly i kept the track record of work done by me in my mind.Normally i divide my schedule in hourly basis.I plan my next work with in a minute and utilize the time according to that or otherwise when we relax for some time then prepare the whole plan means what to do at when time like that ....Because Time is Money

My Property Stores, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  4. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Well, it sounds as if your work falls easily into 1-hour slots, so that makes things a little easier.

Thanks for elaborating and good luck.

Malc

:)

malcsimm, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  5. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Wow - clearly you are great at managing your time - because you seem to get 48 hours work packed into 24 hours!

God luck with your studies.

6. SamantaKowalsky

SamantaKowalsky Peon

Best Answers:
    I rated myself at 4/10, I'm very inconsistent when it comes to working regularly, on some days I'd work for many hours straight, and on other days I'd do nothing productive.

SEO Princess sounds amazing :p

SamantaKowalsky, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  7. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Well, there's always time to improve! Maybe you want to do "nothign productive" on some days?

If so, then you are managing your time well in a way... ;)

Whereas if you are dissatisfied, you can change things. Slowly but surely.

>SEO Princess sounds amazing
    Yeah she is - but then having a family and being committed to studying means you have to maximise your organisation! Hope she finds a little time to chill out too.

Cheers, Malc

8. SamantaKowalsky

SamantaKowalsky Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, finding time to relax is important for one's mental health.

What would you suggest for improving myself in this field?

SamantaKowalsky, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  9. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This is a great reminder for me of how much more productive I think I could be. I get lost online sometimes...and I work online most of the day, so it is an occupational hazzard. I know that if I can focus more, my income could double. This was a good reminder.

Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  10. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    What - to help relaxing?

Meditation is a great way to calm the mind. Just watch your thoughts for 10-15 minutes daily. It's sometimes called "the silent watcher". Google it ;)

Now, that will really help you to chill.

Malc

Hi Rocky - very cool. It's so important to "REVIEW" how you are doing. Because you know you are going to get sucked into work every day. Then, suddenly, a week has gone by.

So, once a week, sit down and ask yourself: "How did I plan my time this week? What worked? What needed improving?" Then work out 1. improvements and 2. how you are going to implement them.

The fact that - maybe - you didn't apply last week's decisions doesn't matter. Because now you need to find a different way of making it happen.

Remember Edison had to try 1000s of ways to make a light bulb that lasted more than 5 seconds.

Be Edison. Plan your day and schedule in a review every week.

Good luck: "The first step in achieving change is becoming aware." (Me. LOL)

;)

Don't forget to squeeze in a little time for youself, when you can. You don't wanna be a martyr!

All the best,

Malc

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
    malcsimm, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  11. dealeris

dealeris Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand you are an expert in time management so i want to ask you a question.
    What could i do if i feel i am doing good and stop trying to optimize my usage of time? For example: I make enough money to pay all the bills, spend enough time with family and friends and i feel good about myself, but i spend 2-3 or even 5 hours a day watching interesting videos on youtube and deep inside i know i could do better. What would you recommend for keeping yourself on edge, vigilant and continuously improving?

dealeris, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  12. SamantaKowalsky

SamantaKowalsky Peon

Best Answers:
    I meant the time management when working online from your home :p

SamantaKowalsky, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  13. Fosterseo

Fosterseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    My time management has improved a lot. I used to get easily distracted by watching youtube videos or playing games but now I spend a lot more time doing what I need to do

Fosterseo, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  14. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Hi SamantaKowalsky and dealeris -

It seems that you are dissatisfied with how you are organising your time during the day. It's best to make a plan for the day. And a good time to do this, many people find, is the night before.

Or you can just as well do it first thing if you prefer.

Make your plan for the day of what you intend to achieve. Don't make the mistake of planning out the whole eight hours – because emergencies will probably occur that have to be dealt with. So be realistic – and this will vary from person to person.

You might end up with six things on your to-do list. Maybe three of them will take five or 10 minutes, one or two a couple of hours each, may be the last one is just to do a good chunk of a big project.

So maybe you end up with five or six hours planned, with three hours left for emergencies and interruptions.

Of course, if you are working on the internet part time then the same will apply: but for just the time you have - 1, 2 or 3 hours at a stretch.

You also need to take account of daily "maintenance" tasks such as checking your email, maintaining your computer, and of course personal matters such as eating.

If you find you tend to be distracted and play computer games, or go on Facebook for too long then simply set yourself a limit. Even use a stop watch to try to make sure you don't overrun.

Working from home is certainly a challenge. Problems can range from trying to deal with family matters and simultaneously working; being in a noisy environment; to being interrupted by inconsiderate family members (or crying babies :| ).

You can only do the best you can in the circumstances.

But the main thing I am saying here is to have a schedule for the day which you are tempted to stick to. Okay, maybe you don't do it perfectly; but actually having a schedule – a written plan – means that you are more likely to stick to it. And practice makes perfect :)

If having a schedule only improves your time management by half – then that is still a very good step indeed.

So set yourself a schedule up tonight – for tomorrow morning. Then tomorrow hit the ground running.

I do hope this helps both of you.

malcsimm, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  15. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Cool - that is a great step forward. Now take that up to the next level. Set yourself a goal for the week or month - regularly.

And good luck!

malcsimm, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  16. John Gaziano

John Gaziano Peon

Best Answers:
    I would like to give myself 8 out of 10 . As I set my goals monthly and weekly. For this I use Time management software which helps me to manage more work in very less. Due to which my career growth has increased.

John Gaziano, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  17. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Wow - 8's pretty good! What software do you use? Do you spend more time managing the software than you do managing your time? LOL

Malc

Well, at least you put your first post up on Digital Point!

Let's see if you get your second – then you won't be a slacker any more :)

Malc

malcsimm, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  18. YJunK

YJunK Active Member

Best Answers:
    I manage to live on 24 hours and do everything I need to do, but I would still only give myself a 3, because I know I could be doing much, much, much more with my time.
    At least I'm relaxed and I seldom get stressed because of time management. However, even that took a LOT of work and discipline.

YJunK, Mar 13, 2014 IP
    malcsimm likes this.
  19. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Geeez like a 4 maybe, somedays I'm on top of things and other days I'm very unproductive

Dionne Taylor, Mar 13, 2014 IP
    malcsimm likes this.
  20. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Time management is really about doing as much as you want to with your available time. If you are chilled, and happy, and getting as much done as you want, then that's very satisfactory.

But if you have applied a lot of work and discipline then I think you are doing yourself down to only give yourself a three. It sounds to me as if you deserve a seven – at least!

Hey Dionne -
    I wonder, if you are a bit more consistent if you could be satisfied with your output every single day. ??

It's really not about how much you achieved in any particular day; after all, there may have been all sorts of demands on your time. These might have been personal or family issues.

Achievement needs to be seen in terms of personal satisfaction and how much you help yourself and help others.

Life isn't a race.

So maybe you need to be kinder to yourself and give yourself a higher score :)

malcsimm, Mar 13, 2014 IP