1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mobile video & audio Player

Discussion in 'PHP' started by beven, Mar 13, 2014.

hi guys,
    I have a website of video and now i am going to make it responsive. but could not find video Player for mobile. I have JW Player currently using for video, audio and also have .flv files. Please share the appropriate video player which works both mobile and other screen resolutions.

thanks in advance.

beven, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    JW player works, you just need to set it up properly. Do a search for JW player on these forums, for instance.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  3. beven

beven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for your reply my dear
    Jw Players works fine but not at mobile when we we open the site in mobile

beven, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Because you haven't provided the proper files. Hence why I told you to search for JW player threads here on this forum, or for "JW player for mobile" in Google.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  5. ThePHPMaster

ThePHPMaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are referring to Apple mobile (iphone, ipad) then JW (or anything flash for that matter, including flv) would not work. You will need to convert the files to MP4 and show them as such.

ThePHPMaster, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    JW has a fallback HTML5 player - it will not work with FLV-files, but it will play properly encoded MP4-files on iOS. Read the documentation...

PoPSiCLe, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  7. beven

beven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for reply. Is there any player that plays flv videos on mobile because i have many videos....or have to change them in Mp4

beven, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the HELL that HTML 5 has brought us on Video, dragging us back to the worst of the realplayer vs. WMP vs. Quicktime days. (the laugh being the last time it happened flash was the winner when it wasn't even considered a contender..)

To properly support the majority of mobile devices you generally need at least THREE other formats, so get ready to re-encode your videos over and over and over again. Just check out the compatibility chart Mozilla maintains:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/HTML/Supported_media_formats#Browser_compatibility

Generally speaking, I suggest making it available in the following:

VP8 video and Vorbis audio in a WebM container
    Theora video and Vorbis audio in an Ogg container
    H.264 video and AAC audio in an MP4 container

Don't bother with MP3 audio versions of MP4 containers -- thanks to the freetards and their 'licenses are evil' BS support on anything from the *nix world is spotty at best. They only let you play them as audio files because "it's expected", not because they actually want you to be able to do it.

... and even with all those, you'd also have to keep your FLV player as a fallback. Though one nice thing, if you change to MP4 you can use a flash player as a middle-man to play that MP4 file, so you don't need actual separate FLV files for those.

-- edit -- oh, one last thing good for a laugh, usually MP4 played in a flash player actually runs smoother than it does in HTML 5 VIDEO because it has better hardware acceleration support.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    deathshadow, Mar 15, 2014 IP
  9. ThePHPMaster

ThePHPMaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, you would need to convert them to MP4. Like popscile said JW has a fallback, but you would still need the MP4 file.

ThePHPMaster, Mar 15, 2014 IP