1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Flipping websites still a viable business?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Dionne Taylor, Mar 10, 2014.

Anyone here making money from flipping websites?

Dionne Taylor, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  2. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yes

its the easiest business of them all :)

and your signature says - visit my blog to learn how i make money online!!

competent123, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  3. kush86

kush86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, as long as you set up a great website. People will buy your website. So it will always be a great business to be in.

kush86, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  4. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ya but flipping websites just seems so complicated and there is a big risk involved.

Plus that is not how I make money online lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
    Dionne Taylor, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I guess it depends on your experience, your skill set, the value you place on your time.

sarahk, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  6. web3k

web3k Member

Best Answers:
    The level of risk is easily mitigated when flipping sites. Spend too much time on a site that is a) easy to build, b) has no relevance, c) has no traffic and d) isn't generating an income and you may as well not waste your time.

Serious website flipper's go after niches and build their sites over time. There are some people who make money from unsuspecting buyers, who create 'template' sites and flog them off a dime a dozen.

We don't follow the flipping scene to the detail, but there have been a few nice wins for Australian based flipper's in the last few months, which have all been on sites which have been around a while (3+ years)

web3k, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  7. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    haha, the most popular being the social media traffic providers, the ones that supply Youtube plays, pinterest, FB likes, etc. Those are a dime a dozen, I've seen the same templates & idea being flipped for the past 3-4 years... that is the one that really annoys me. They must sell, I suppose, as they keep putting them on the market.

thsadmin, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  8. ImCanuck

ImCanuck Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure how buyers can be unsuspecting when the seller for these types of sites claim that the design isn't unique, have a low price point and usually a history of selling similar sites that is easy to find when searching sellers profile. To OP yes you can make money with Flippa. Start small, you will make mistakes and learn from them. It probably isn't as complicated or risky as you think. I thought the same way before I started. Good luck :)

ImCanuck, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "Website flipping" is pretty shady and extremely competitive.

A large majority of people are buying sites based on traffic and earnings, both of which are usually faked in the world of "website flipping". This means unless you are creating fake stats then your competitors will always out sale you with theirs. By the time you create one site with real traffic and earnings the other guys have made 10-20-30? with fake stats.

Flippa is the main market right now and they take half of your profit.

Seems like you would have to work your ass off just to be a lowly scammer, making just enough to pay flippa, internet connection and hoping your fake bids don't win yet another auction.

averyz, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  10. ImCanuck

ImCanuck Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are most certainly scammers on both sides of the fence. That is a marketplace problem on the entire web. There is a lot of competition. If you offer value you can sell. You base your price realistically on the value you offer. Scammers get banned all of the time. Flippa's fees aren't cheap but it's not 50%. Take a look at all paid, targeted and effective advertising on the web now a days. Way more expensive than it was 10 years ago. Nothing is easy but just because it's not easy doesn't mean it isn't worth doing.

ImCanuck, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  11. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah and flippa fees are ridiculous. That's why I didn't take action with website flipping.

Dionne Taylor, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  12. flippingdesk

flippingdesk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Website flipping doesn't means creating and selling same crap templates/services several times using different domains. It means acquiring websites which are undervalued/un-monetized/not properly monetized or even good websites and selling it at good price after proper monetization and maintenance at the right value.
    You need be expert in due diligence to filter the right from thousands of site listed on marketplaces. Must be expert in negotiation and provide great customer support to your buyers to make them regular investors.

flippingdesk, Mar 12, 2014 IP
    Kwaku and kush86 like this.
  13. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As with everything in life ; if you create value you can sell it for money. If you think a website is valuable then probably other people will think so as well. I have bought and sold many; it's definitely a great market still.

Kwaku, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  14. michaelyx

michaelyx Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I use to flip websites, but now I mainly just do currency exchange and investments.

michaelyx, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  15. mmaguy

mmaguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can make money for sure, there are many people who do this for full time and earn a decent amount. I would say focus on smaller sites first to build up your skills, and then once you have more some money to play with you can then move up the ladder.

mmaguy, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  16. MikeLugar

MikeLugar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I was in college years ago, I used to flip both domain and websites quite frequently. It is still possible, but don't even bother trying to buy a site on Flippa and expect to flip it easily. Perform a lot of research on websites that are outdated/not updated anymore, these owners are likely to sell the website fairly cheap since they probably don't have any interest in it anymore. These are the sites you clean up, then list on Flippa. I also used to contact larger companies with websites that I thought would interest them that I had purchased and was able to get a premium this way.

MikeLugar, Mar 17, 2014 IP