1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Copywriter vs Content Mill: The Case Against Cheap Copy

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by CovertCopywriting, Mar 7, 2014.

1. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are doing well I don't understand why you are seeking the lowest paying jobs to complain about. ? Seriously.

People buy trade and sell cheap crap all week long on DP, so what ? Why do you care ?

Their will always be cheap stuff and people that buy cheap stuff. You guys sing the “quality is better” on the stuff you market but how much cheap stuff do you buy ?
    Do you buy handmade socks and underwear ? Or cheap mass produced ones.
    Organic small local farm food ? Or mass produced cheap food ?
    Handmade leather shoes ? Or sweatshop shoes from Asia ?

People chose what they spend top dollar on it is different for everyone.

averyz, Mar 12, 2014 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  2. CovertCopywriting

CovertCopywriting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    OK I can explain why I wrote the piece: marketing.

I have been a successful print and online journalist for 15 years, but have just started to focus my efforts on branded content, content marketing and the like.

This article was one of the first I have put live, it has been shared around the web, has brought me a lot of traffic and made me some contacts.

You know the old saying: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

This piece has brought me together with likeminded writers that focus on the top end, one job offer and a whole lot of traffic that is helping me up the Google ranks. There will be lots more pieces, but this one is working in its own way.

It will also tell lowballers not to waste my time and theirs, so it will give me more time every week to focus on finding real clients.

Do I need more reasons or is that OK?

CovertCopywriting, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  3. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

Fair enough ;)

sundaybrew, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  4. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was just giving some feedback that it might not be that productive to image and sales.

All.. freelancers deal with clients that do not want to pay, it just seems unprofessional and unfruitful to dwell on it. JMO

averyz, Mar 12, 2014 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  5. CovertCopywriting

Best Answers:
    It will be the first of many posts that will help me to position myself. It's just one post, but will cohesively sit with lots more to explain the type of clients I want to work with. It is just one part of a content marketing strategy. You'll see as it unfolds, but I'm sure it's a good post for me on a number of levels.

I'll be using my own services as an example of content marketing. The best way to start from zero is to stir the pot a little, then get going with the more in-depth stuff when you have an actual audience.

6. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Delusional.

I hire writers all the time and your post made me never want to hire you in just a few sentences. You come a crossed like you have no respect for others. You gripe about clients like they are idiots, you offer no value for your services, and you give the impression that you are a jerk to work with.

All failures you write of as master strategies, you cannot see out of your ego.

Sorry to be harsh but that’s the way it comes a crossed.

averyz, Mar 12, 2014 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  7. CovertCopywriting

Best Answers:
    Weird. I just offered to show you how it unfolds and you come back with more judgmental BS. Good to know you have a psychology degree, too now.

Honestly the most outspoken critics on this thread have been a writing expert who then admitted he isn't a writer and now you. I only gripe about shit clients, the $5 an article clients. They're not the clients I want, so if I burn that bridge to build others then that is fine with me. Simple fact is traffic has built nicely, from a cold start with no advertising the blog is building up well in the space of a few weeks.

So criticise all you want, I hope you do. It was actually Gary Halbert who said you're not pissing a few people off then probably nobody will love you either. So you have your opinion, I'll do it my way and we'll see what works.

I don't say it's a master strategy, it's fairly obvious to anyone that isn't determined to be down on the whole thing. But it's your call what you believe...

8. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    PS - Link US to some of your WORK.....lets see it ......

averyz likes this.
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well first off you started a thread with an article, which leads to criticism and comments, so I am just playing along in the tread you started.

You say you made this article for "marketing", I just see no positive marketing for this.
    -You wrote an article stating how stupid clients are
    -How clients need to “come back when they’re ready to sit at the grown-up table” Basically how you are so above them.
    Because people love to pay money to people who treat them like jerks and talk down to them ?

You claim “copywriter of my calibre can charge a higher rate” is this a misspelling ? Or is it some clever French play on English ?
    Not sure, but your writing is very unimpressive you have no links to anything and you are claiming you charge “a higher rate”

Because people pay a higher rate for writers that .. ?
    -Have a 5 page blog made a couple of weeks ago ?
    -Because you know how to steal images from google search and put them on a Wordpress page ?
    - Write agro rants about people who do not offer you “a higher rate” ?
    - You will make them “eat humble pie” ?

You really have shown no value. Only that you hate people who do not pay you “a higher rate”.

Statistic marketing master piece ? I think not.

Dangling pinata in the copywriter forum ? Maybe.

averyz, Mar 12, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk, sundaybrew and malky66 like this.
  10. CovertCopywriting

Best Answers:
    Sundaybrew... Wow, a link to your WORK... Where could that be? Oh yeah, how's about the link: 'My Work' on the site... Jeez.

Or Google Nick Hall, Bugatti, Nick Hall, Lamborghini, Nick Hall, Renaultf1, Nick Hall, Porsche. Whatever you want. You'll find lots, stretching back to the 90s...

Averyz, fair point about the picture attribution, though I think you're clinging on to it with a little desperation. The rest of it just makes me think you're an aggressive nightmare that probably pays $5 an article himself. It must have struck a nerve, otherwise why are you investing the time?

If you cannot see, even though it has been explained several times, that I am not treating my own clients like this. I give people the choice if they want to piss around with content mills I will even give them the address and help them out. They can join me when they've actually experienced those $5 articles and want something a little more mature.

Do you understand now? Or do I need to draw pictures for you two?

11. CovertCopywriting

Best Answers:
    After this I am not arguing more with stupid by the way, you pair will always win with superior experience and firepower...

12. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pics.

averyz, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  13. CovertCopywriting

Best Answers:
    please see the previous answer.

14. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    WHY DRAW.......

Covert Copywriting has a Grammar Error? NO.......couldn't be........no no.......

And I didn't even have to take out my crayons........

[​IMG]

averyz likes this.
  15. CovertCopywriting

Best Answers:
    Well done, you found a typo in a page I totally revised today.

Wow, have I stumbled upon a forum for the mentally ill here? It feels like I have stepped into a village of the damned. You two are welcome to each other, I'm out of here.

16. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This place used to be a nice discussion for everything writing related.

Can't we all agree that some people don't enjoy writing for peanuts and some clients only value content at the price of a peanut?

coreygeer, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  17. CovertCopywriting

Best Answers:
    I am happy with that. I have been goaded into an argument with people on the 'peanuts are nice', side, but I probably should have just ignored them.

CovertCopywriting, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  18. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People criticize your poor article and you resort to calling them names, I think I see a pattern here. Just like you call your clients and potential clients names ?

Great business model.
    - Give me a “higher rate” and shut up idiot or you will eat humble pie ?
    What am I paying for ?
    - A “higher rate” you idiot.

Yeah, that should work. Not.

averyz, Mar 13, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  19. CovertCopywriting

Best Answers:
    On one side.

60 social shares in three weeks from a stone cold blog.
    Alexa ranking 4 million to 2.3 million in the same time.
    A job offer.
    Copywriters and my peers saying: "Excellent post, great piece of writing etc etc..."

On the other side.
    You and your friend, a writing expert who then went on to admit he knows nothing about writing, saying it's poor and I'm wrong on more or less everything.

But yes, you're probably right....

CovertCopywriting, Mar 13, 2014 IP
  20. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I must admit it has given me some laughs.

I am looking forward to the next article, maybe ? “Give me higher pay or you are an idiot” or “How I educate clients they are stupid”

averyz, Mar 13, 2014 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.