1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Time taken to write an original & good quality 500-word article

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Content Maestro, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are right. These things have to be done if you want to write good-quality content. And in my opinion, 1 or 2 hours is fair considering that you put in some research and double proof your articles.
    That is really a good idea to save time - or use it effectively. If this can be implemented for writing articles, I am sure it will be possible to produce ample but quality content in a comparatively short time.
    Thanks for this nice input AndreaBlogs.:)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Content Maestro, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  2. impishme84

impishme84 Active Member

Best Answers:
    30-45 minutes is absolutely Ok if you have experience in writing. Once you get habituated with content writing, you know exactly where to look for information and then all you need is to draft it well. Some technical stuff where there is no information available on the web, then definitely it is going to cost you time.

impishme84, Feb 1, 2014 IP
  3. Vlasic

Vlasic Active Member

Best Answers:
    I normally take a break after each article. Being busy with the same activity hours on end and feeling comfortable with it requires a certain type of personality, which I am not. Burning out is a drastic experience, and everyone who's been down that road will tell you - don't do this to yourself or people who work for you.
    Consider your writing potential as a source - if you put a pump on it and start squeezing all juices 24/7, it will dry out in no time. Once it's exhausted, you will have to look for resources some place else, not writing.
    If you have doubts as to whether your writers spend their working time on research or on chatting with their friends, consider installing a monitoring software. Works like magic in all industries)) If you wonder if you could become an article conveyor that would deliver 15 articles per day, 30 days in a month, maybe you could. But would you want to?

Vlasic, Feb 1, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  4. AndreaBlogs

AndreaBlogs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You are correct, if you structure your writing this way, then the first article will take 1-2 hours, but the others will take considerably less time.

To add to @Vlasic's comment, simply pumping out articles hours on end can definitely lead to burn out - which affects your writing. Taking a break between articles is definitely a good idea.

AndreaBlogs, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  5. aidanriley629

aidanriley629 Banned

Best Answers:
    I can type 90-110 WPM, but a 500 word article on a topic that I have no idea about takes me a good 30-40 minutes.

aidanriley629, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  6. Sanyam Khurana

Sanyam Khurana Member

Best Answers:
    I think it would depend on how well you know the topic you are writing on, the amount of content you can present in your post etc.

I think my typing speed is around 60+ words per minute, and it takes me like 1 - 1.5 hours to write a 500+ words article, actually when I'm writing, I don't focus on how much words I'm writing , rather I focus on building quality rather than quantity, and generally I end up with more than 500+ words article.

This time also includes the custom images, and setting up featured images etc.

So, I think this may differ from person to person, but we should always focus on Quality.

Sanyam Khurana, Feb 7, 2014 IP
  7. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Content Maestro, Mar 10, 2014 IP
    Vlasic likes this.
  8. TDI-MAD

TDI-MAD Active Member

Best Answers:
    The time taken to write a 500-words article can have a wide range of options. Too many forces are at play here. The question that can be answered is what should be charged. According to what I have seen, the writer's reputation plays a very important role. I have been witness to contracts where the the writer took days, but still got paid in the highest of remunerations. When a client pushes for urgency, he is ensuring that there is enough time for modifications and changes that may be (actually almost always are) required. If the writer is well known for good write-ups, most clients pay good even if he takes days.
    On another note, 30 minutes is no mean feat by any standards! :)

TDI-MAD, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  9. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    You are right TDI-MAD. There can't really be a specific time-frame for writing a 500-words article. It differs greatly according to the type of content you are creating and for each writer.
    So do propose that a writer should charge based on how reputed and/or experienced he/she is, regardless of the time and effort spend in creating a piece of content?

Content Maestro, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  10. TDI-MAD

TDI-MAD Active Member

Best Answers:
    :) well he can charge as much as he likes. But someone who has an established reputation can charge and get a much higher amount for the same 500 words than someone who's relatively new. If a new writer starts quoting like the biggies from day 1, he is only hurting his own opportunities. I believe he should start with lower quotes, and once the clients start calling him on their own, and he is in the driver's seat, he can experiment with the rates. You know it very well that it's a bidding (read bargaining) jungle out there!

There's a content writer friend of mine who's quite reputed in the domestic freelance circles. Once he was already working on something, so when a second client called, he told them that he would be available only after a certain date as he is working for a different client. The client responded, "If you take us up by tomorrow, we will pay double of what you are getting right now"!! With Google sidelining sites without unique content, and such content-creation not being everybody's cup of tea, the clients fight like cats for good content writers. One just has to wait till he finds the ones that are comfortable with his writing style.

TDI-MAD, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  11. uand.eye

uand.eye Active Member

Best Answers:
    This really depends on your interpretation of quality. I very rarely see a good quality article online, most people say they write great content, but are really just manually spinning other articles and slightly improving on the original. I can write a decent article in under an hour, but a good quality article may take 2-3 days. This will include real research (not just a quick search on Google and spinning the top articles), perfecting the tone of voice, proofreading and images.

uand.eye, Mar 12, 2014 IP
    Vlasic likes this.
  12. YJunK

YJunK Active Member

Best Answers:
    One hour TOPS. Even if the subject is boring and completely new to me, from the moment I start researching to the moment I have a first draft it usually takes less than an hour. + extra time to edit my spelling and grammar and be sure that the quality of the writing will be what my clients expect from me.

YJunK, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  13. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Content Maestro, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  14. TDI-MAD

TDI-MAD Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are welcome Maestro. Thanks for the thread & the opportunity :)

TDI-MAD, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  15. mr.sidney

mr.sidney Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For beginners, it can take up to 2 hours to write a quality 500-word article, but once you`ve gain some experience it becomes a bit easier.
    For me, the research part takes most of the time especially on a topic which I`m not well-versed with, which is around 15-20 minutes, then the typing takes 15 minutes, and proofreading a maximum of 5 minutes.
    On average, it takes me 45-50 minutes to write a high quality 500-word article.However, if it is a topic which I am very familiar with, it go as low as 30 minutes.

mr.sidney, Mar 20, 2014 IP
  16. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I agree. Sometimes for topics you are not familiar with, finding out the right information can be quite time-consuming if you don't know where to search.
    A good typing speed really helps to make up for the time spent here.

Content Maestro, Mar 20, 2014 IP
  17. itsMrsWhite2

itsMrsWhite2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've been writing for almost a year now and I find that if I am writing about a topic I enjoy, it can be done in around 15 minutes.

When it comes to something I know very little about, the research is what takes me the longest, sometimes it can take me up to an hour to complete the article but it is usually around 30 minutes if I am truly focused.

itsMrsWhite2, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  18. mr.sidney

mr.sidney Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That`s very true; when you are a good writer you have accept even topics you`ve never heard before.

mr.sidney, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  19. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. It's almost the same with me. Sometimes clients ask for content related to a topic I have no idea about. But I will suggest a technique that helps me to speed up my work comparatively.
    I have observed that when we write about strange or unknown topics, most of the time is spent (or wasted) in figuring out what and how to write. Here's what you can do:
    1) Always let the main purpose of your writing be in front. This enables your brain to process useful information and filter out unnecessary data faster.
    2) Prepare an outline as you collect information from different sources. It will give you a good idea of how to structure the content and help to work in a focused manner.
    3) List the main points. Use headings and subheadings if necessary. Organize them. This eliminates a lot of confusion and helps to decide where exactly to put a particular point.
    4) If there are certain hours of the day when you feel most productive - 'peak hours' as we call them, it's the best time to write. Ideas and thoughts flow clearly and you are able to write spontaneously with inspiration. Obviously, you should also pay attention to your deadlines. I never force myself to write unless it's a matter of dead urgency.
    5) Improve your typing speed. A good typing speed will help a lot to make up for the time spent in researching and gathering information.
    I hope this helps.

Content Maestro, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  20. itsMrsWhite2

itsMrsWhite2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips! I will keep them in mind.

itsMrsWhite2, Mar 22, 2014 IP