1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The anti-science/anti-free speech left

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Obamanation, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    O may be a good choice. Did you notice how he slipped the word "woefully" into his sentence? It sounded so natural. I don't think I could do that without sounding really awkward. He's good. I'm ready for the road trip! Although, I don't think they're looking for a team. Maybe you could apply and we could all just share in the earnings. :)

Hey, give me a money-making suggestion on something. Here's what happened. I was accepted by iStock with Getty Images. At first I was happy until I found out they announced a new plan. In my perception they are cheating photographers. Getty is partnering with Stipple and can embed whatever ads they choose in the pics. I'm sure they are mainly focused on making money for themselves, rather then the photographers that actually own the images. I went back to iStock and deleted all my pictures. Then, I went to Stipple to check them out. I found out individual photographers can join and upload pictures. Advertisers will use the images, but your personal URL, bookmarking info stays with it. How would you use that to make money? I was brainstorming. Thinking maybe I could become an Amazon affiliate and take pictures of products, and link it back using an affiliate ID. Or, maybe I could set it up to sell with my social bookmarking? Am I reading this wrong? You and O are smart, tell me the best way to use this to make money. lol. :)

Back on topic: If the Left doesn't like it here, they should all just get out! Ha Ha.

Rebecca, Mar 9, 2014 IP
  2. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Rebecca: So I've been reading about getty.
    1. first piece of news: free photos. hey good news for website owners
    2. then...Getty Terms of Service (ToS). include they can take it down whenever they wish. Uh oh.....that sucks.
    3. Saw that photogs such as you are pissed off. Can't blame you.

Rebecca: I don't know this whole photography thing. I see where you signed up on the web for a lot of sources. I'd say ...see if there are more.

B. Then I'd look for local sources. Advertise, market, etc.
    C. Then I'd look at my vertical (industry type). If its food, I'd try and hit up all the food sites.

Last suggestion is to do your photography WITHOUT o-nation in the room. He'll eat the food before you can get pictures and you'll be "woefully" taking pictures of crumbs.

I really don't know about this photography thing and the opportunities. It appears you have been doing a good job of finding them. I'd keep digging. I'd look locally I'd look in the industry. Go back to the developers of restaurant sites in your area and see if they need good shots.

Good luck.

On topic. uhhhhhhhhhhh. I think you know where I stand. I'm right. you aren't.

earlpearl, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  3. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rebecca, one of my neighbors is a guy who handles image licensing for photographers(specifically architecture). As he explains it to me, Getty and a few others have driven the price down for image distribution, now paying a fraction of what images used to license for. That said, the new business model for online photo sales seems to be driven off of piracy.

Here is how it works. Get your photos onto a website. Get them indexed by Google's wonderful image indexing (piracy) service. Make sure your images all have all the appropriate embedded copyright notices. You might want to even consider handing them out for free (with agreements in place) to sites that will get them more visibility.

The goal is to get people to pirate them, preferably some companies with credible business practices here in the US. Find your pirated images on the web is pretty simple, also through Google's image indexing (piracy) service. You then send out some properly worded demand letters to the people who have pirated your pictures, referencing the url's where your pirated images are being hosted. Once they have been caught, they are liable for any licensing fee you decide to assign to the image, as well as statutory damages which any court in the land will find in your favor. Again, the proper sections of the legal code should be cited in the letter.

Any business with legal council will immediately pay your licensing fees, and many, if the letter is worded correctly will wind up being you clients. Sell your images through Getty and you will be lucky to pocket 10% of the declining licensing fees, but then again, exposure is key.

@dave, Rebecca's food is safe. I try and stick to a purely liquid diet. Oh, and on topic, I thought you would enjoy this article:
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...d_reason_vs_political_correctness_121866.html

Late-term abortions used to be justified in part by an argument dating back to the 1970s that fetuses were not yet "human." But emerging science has allowed premature babies 5 months old or younger to survive outside the womb. Brain waves of fetuses can be monitored at just six weeks after conception. Such facts may be unwelcome to many, given the political controversy over abortion. Yet the idea that even small fetuses are not viable humans until birth is simply unscientific.

The president still talks of "settled science" in the global warming debate. He recently flew to California to attribute the near-record drought there to human-induced global warming.

There is no scientific basis for the president's assertion about the drought. Periodic droughts are characteristic of California's climate, both in the distant past and over a century and a half of modern record-keeping. If the president were empirical rather than deductive and political, he would instead have cited the logical reasons why this drought is far more serious than those of the late 1970s.

In recent years, "settled science" with regard to the causes of peptic ulcers, the health benefits of Vitamin D, the need for annual mammograms and the prognostic value of the prostate-specific antigen test have all been turned upside down by dissident scientists offering new theories to interpret fresh data.

Yet for the new anti-empirical left, science becomes an ally only when refuting absurd religious theories that the earth is 5,000 years old. Otherwise, it can prove irrelevant when it does not necessarily support pet causes.

Obamanation, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  4. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    o nation: thanks for the article. RCPolitics is a known conservative leaning source. Nice job for sourcing the right wing perspective.
    @ 0-nation. liquid huh? either you are an emaciated skinny geek, and/or a hellova souse. I like meat!!! chicken is good as are the other white meats. Ahhh....if only I could do more salads.

Man: that photography/monetizing model is tough/ gotta get the attorneys involved. threats etc. Its a PITA business model in my opinion, but it might be the prevailing way to go in this age, certainly w/ how A) photos are pirated B). Google is the biggest pirate C) its all over the web.

That is why I also like doing it on a local basis as an alternative, if that is possible.

Hey look I live in the DC area. It has tons of restaurants. If somebody lived in this area and was willing to put in the sales/call on prospects/call on the business website developers effort, somebody might make it work locally.

But this is a restaurant rich area. It clearly wouldn't work everywhere. Rebecca I don't know where you live and if there are a lot of restaurants in the region.

Hey here is something else that might work. Google has a "preferred photographer" deal going for its 360 degree inside pictures of businesses. If you apply and qualify for that they refer business to you. Even if you don't market it aggressively its a nice feature that businesses like.

Just an idea. I'm not into the photography picture business. Really don't know much about it.

Meanwhile that Getty Imaging thing is a pisser, no doubt. If I wanted to use a photo for free I have to agree to their ToS, one clause has to do with the usage being non commercial and a second clause stating they can take the image down at their volition. that would stink. If I used their pics I'd have to have 2nd choices readily available in the event they took the pic back. that doesn't make it easy at all. Don't like their ToS at all.

earlpearl, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  5. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    RCP a right leaning source? Curious. I go there because they average and trend every last poll on every topic, so you can get an average of the polls, instead of relying on right leaning Rasmussen or left leaning PPP. I also go there primarily for links to left wing sources like the WaPo and the Atlantic. WaPo has banned me no less than 125 times and I keep reappearing under the same name John Locke, through a loophole in their ban logic. For a few weeks, I discovered a loophole in their posting logic which allowed me to clip images into my posts, making me the only poster who could do so, as right wing poster on a left wing site. It took them nearly three weeks to figure out how I was doing it and publish a software update to prevent it. I'm sure the mods are quite angry at this point. To further add to the comedy, I have a standing job offer to go work for them, which I thought would be highly amusing.

Regarding my monetizing model for photography, attorneys don't really need to be involved, but its good to have one on retainer. My neighbor, who used to license photography the old fashioned way, has dropped his traditional licensing business and completely switched over to this model. Six months into it his new model is generating about 200k a month, though he has a few unique advantages I won't discuss. We live in a litigious society. Evolve or die.

Obamanation, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  6. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    LOL. so you are right wing spamming (commenting) on WaPo. Ha ha. As a long term resident in this region, somebody who met the Graham's, somebody who is familiar with their very long term commitments to employees, having seen them extend themselves to employees, and generally agreeing with the overall editorial tone of the Post, which also, I might add includes some significant Conservatives....I virtually never read those comments.

So you are a multiple instigator of the need for mods to restrict and refine comments, thereby depriving civil people to have civil comments. Ha ha. ....and then you whine about "restrictions on freedoms". What a joke. You are a multiple transgressor of civil freedoms thereby creating restrictions and whine about it. What a sad commentary on how a radical effort destroys freedoms. OTOH, Putin, and other dictators would love a guy like you.

Now if you've spammed them in a way that befuddles them...also merits a laugh.

The people who started RCP are self described Conservatives.

We do live in a litigious society. Many do use that technique to further their goals. It is part of society. I just don't like it for a variety of reasons. One is that it takes up a lot of time in scheming rather than providing a true working service, in my experience.

But hey...I worked in commercial real estate for decades. There is much to be said for great attorneys.

earlpearl, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Who is more active in spying on its own citizens, Obama or Putin? Obama.
    Who kills it´s own citizens without any trial, Obama or Putin? Obama.
    Who runs secret prisons where people are tortured and hold without trial or charge, Obama or Putin? Obama.
    Who is the dictator, Obama or Putin? What do you think? :rolleyes:

l

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    gworld, Mar 11, 2014 IP
    Corwin and Obamanation like this.
  8. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    I never said I spammed. I just said I had been banned literally hundreds of times. WaPo, like the HuffPo, and ESPECIALLY like the NY Times, is not a huge fan of diversity of thought. My comments are always thoughtful, rarely personal attacks, and most certainly never spammy. As it turns out, a well articulated argument on the WaPo comments section can indeed get you banned, if the moderator doesn't share your views. I've written many a comment for the NY times, which they treat like letters to the editor, and only had one published. That particular note was an experiment where I spoke of the president in the kindest of terms. Its no wonder the NY Times comments section reads as though all of the America believes Obama walks on water and secretly wishes for the death of the Republican party. Its pathetic. The gray lady isn't worth wiping your ass with these days.

HuffPo has gone a similar route, by mandating all their commenters go through personal identification (via cell phone). Their comments section is now a ghost town, so even if I were willing to jump through their hoops, I would no longer be interested in participating in a conversation with so few participants and such heavy handed moderation.

You are missing out. The comments are far more entertaining than the actual content, regardless of the author. Seriously, who cares what Greg Sargeant or Dana Milbank think. These people are predictable and immovable in their views. The people reading left wing editorial drivel are the ones I like to reach out to. A few well placed comments in the WaPo has my comments getting practically equal airtime as theirs, which is perhaps why well written arguments that disagree with their views are a ban worthy offenses. WaPo, like the NY Times, likes their comments section to appear to be an ocean of voices from the left that drown out and marginalize any views from the right. Frankly, I'm surprised to see you as such a big fan of censorship. I probably shouldn't be.

There it is. The progressive assertion that one can some how damage free speech by participating in it. Funny stuff.

Confusing progressives isn't difficult. At the Occupy movement's brief peak, they had a heavily trafficked online forum that allowed people to collapse your comments by down voting them, essentially allowing their digital participants to shout down/silence minority voices in the same way the real life participants of their rallies did.

I created a small army of zombies connected via anonymous proxies, all with their own OWS forum accounts. At first, I had them down vote anything I down voted, and up vote anything I up voted, which essentially took the megaphone from their hands, and put it in mine.

After wasting a few days arguing with idiots, I had built up a name list of other like minded people on their forum. I just set the zombies loose, having them up vote the comments of those on my name list, and down vote all others. When got through with one comment thread, they just moved onto the next. It was pure comedy. The Occupy Wall Street forum looked it was populated almost entirely by conservatives.

It took them several days to figure out what the problem was and to identify many of my accounts(and ban them), by which time I had another zombie creating new accounts on the fly. They quite literally had to remove the downvote/comment collapse feature of the site until I got bored of the activity.

By the way, the Grahams no longer own the WaPo. Jeff Bezos does. Did you note Sherryl Attkisson bailed on CBS this week due to left wing, anti-diversity of thought discrimination from CBS?

9. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    @O - You can even pay a service to monitor piracy for you.

Here's one: https://www.imagerights.com/pricing.php

They would be responsible for continually looking for incidents of your work being stolen on the net and getting a recovery settlement fee. In return, you basically split the money with them half half. With all the people stealling pictures that may be a good money making scheme.

Earl, - I'm right. :)

Rebecca, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  10. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Yep. 50/50 is a lot better than 10%. You just need enough publicity for your photos to get them pirated in the first place. Fortunately for you, many many many credible US and UK companies use cheap offshore labor to produce their e-commerce sites, which means piracy for commercial websites is common, and the business owners are completely unaware. A properly worded letter usually has the business owners simply paying full boat licensing fees for the photos without any legal threats whatsoever, and if they like your work, they often buy more.

I've heard mixed reviews on imagerights.com, but more people are getting into the game, Getty included.

@earl: Rebecca is right.

11. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    There is no way we can put Obama in the same class as Putin. Obama is an incompetent buffoon who dreams of being the competent dictator Putin actually is.

The video of Feinstein complaining about the federal government overstepping it's bounds by spying on her without a warrant, only a few weeks after she vehemently defended the federal government's warrantless domestic spying programs on the floor of congress is good for a days worth of laughter. Makes that video of Ted Cruz ripping her a good one all the more entertaining. Where is that Iraqi shoe thrower when you need him?

12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The question is not which one is more competent because tomorrow both can be changed. Lets instead compare the systems and decide which one is a dictatorship. Putin has no legal authority to kill Russian citizens, spy on them how ever he wants, torture or put them in prison indefinitely with out trial. I am not naive and he might do all these things but at least on the paper they have set of laws while in USA, not only they admit to doing all these things but they have also made it legal which in reality means that USA is not a Republic any more and it is a dictatorship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Carta

USA has pushed back the history to 800 years ago.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    gworld, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  13. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    That is a fair point, though the things our current (and previous) administration says are legal are not necessarily going to pass constitutional challenge which is most definitely coming. You don't have to dig up the Magna Carta for me. Ms. Feinstein herself said flat out these illegal searches of her computer constituted a violation of our own fourth amendment, though strangely, she didn't seem to think the illegal searches of all the rest of our mail and computers were a violation of any kind. What can you say. The woman has been in Washington so long, and her seat in California is so safe, she probably feels she can do whatever the hell she wants.

One other thing. Putin's laws are a joke. The man can do whatever he wants and the law is whatever he says it is. Ask the band "Pussy Riot". His failure to spy on every one of his citizens doesn't stem from lack of desire, it only stems from lack of capability. With a limited amount of money to throw at hackers, I'm sure he, like china, has every dollar dedicated to hacking computers in the US, not Russia.

Today's interesting news has a beleaguered Obama telling a whole new set of lies, or perhaps truths, in an effort to save his party's 2014 electoral chances. For the last five years, he has been telling Americans he has been the toughest at enforcing our immigration laws, citing comparatively strong deportation numbers in an effort to shore up the legal citizen vote.

Now that most in this country have abandoned him, he just yesterday announced by presidential edict that he is granting amnesty to every family member of anyone in the US armed forces. I'm sure they are rushing to get here now. He also made clear that he has been cooking the books on deportations for the last five years, counting those who tried to cross the border and got caught as deportations, something no previous administration has done.

This guy lies so much, I wonder if he even knows when he is telling the truth.

Obamanation, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I mentioned Magna Carta just to show that USA is pushing the world to dark ages and removing principals which were valid for the last 800 years. During these last centuries, even king of England could not do what Obama does legally and USA suppose to be Republic and not a kingdom. Pussy Riot was convicted in a court of law according to the laws that were in the book. You can say that the laws are not fair or was not applied correctly but this is very different than being able to legally hold someone indefinitely without charge or conviction and even be able to kill them without involvement of any court of law.
    You will be surprised of Russians capabilities and you just need to look at events of Ukraine to see how capable they are. This is a usual problem with USA that they believe that they are the only bullies in the courtyard and then be surprised when they are caught with their pants down.

gworld, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  15. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    That is a very subtle distinction. Discriminatory application of the law is practically the same as having no law at all. I wonder how many other accused rapists Swedish authorities have worked so strenuously to extradite, prior to Assange. Lets not forget a famous Russian coined the phrase, "Show me the man and I will find the crime".

Russia has always had reasonable military capability, especially when compared to their neighbors. Lets be honest, most of the EU has no military to speak of (comparatively) because they don't spend the kind of money the US, Russia, and China do on it.

I was speaking specifically to intelligence gathering apparatus, something that consumes trillions of dollars if only due to the technology required. Putin's very effective answer to foreign signals intelligence (the NSA) has been to put his government offices back on typewriters. Its a low cost, low tech, and very effective answer to the problem. It also demonstrates Putins approach to spending on the issue.

16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. If we agree with your point then the next conclusion will be that USA has no laws because the obvious difference in application of it among middle class /rich white people and black, Hispanic and other lower classes.
    Spending distinction is also interesting. USA has spent 5 billion dollars of tax payers money in Ukraine and they end up practically with nothing accept bunch of neo-Nazi as bed fellows while Russia got Crimea with actual support of people and also saves money because they don´t need to pay rent for their military bases any more. There are a lot of people from Ukraine in Spain and they were telling me that their unemployed relatives were getting $35 /day to go to demonstrations against previous government and this is in a country that people are making $300-$500/month.

The new "democratic" leaders in Ukraine.
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/democr...eo-nazi-symbols-become-the-new-normal/5371919

In the following video filmed in the Ukrainian Parliament and posted in late December 2013, we can clearly see on the pillars two flags which are listed in the Anti-Defamation League’s (ADL) “Visual Database of Extremist Symbols, Logos and Tattoos”: the White power flag and the Confederate flag. the Celtic Cross is categorized by the ADL as a “General Racist Symbol” representing “International white pride” and used by Neo-Nazis and White supremacists.
    The old boys in southern states must really like these new "democratic" leaders. :rolleyes:

gworld, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  17. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Unequal application of the law based on class, vs unequal application of the law because someone in the government has singled you as an individual or you as a group out and decided to attack you by means of his control government authority(force) are two entirely different things. I'm not saying institutional class based discrimination is OK by any stretch of the imagination, but there is still law. What Putin did to Pussy Riot was simply lawless government targeted at dissidents.

Now you are just rambling/trolling. If you want to delegitimize the entire Ukranian revolution, claim the revolutionaries are all white supremacists, and claim the US was directly responsible for all of the above, you are going to need to make a much better case than a video of some yahoo in the parliament building.

18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you mean like USA is trying to do to Assange through Sweden? Do you know that during the last decade USA has arrested many spies that were working for Russia, China, Israel but these actual spies get much lower sentence than whistle blowers that in reality do very little harm with exception of embarrassing the government?

LOL. I am in Europe and I see many Ukrainians everyday who are in contact with their families down there. Some of them support change of regime and hate Russia and some don´t but none of them believe that this was a revolution and the ones who are for change of regime is because they believe Ukraine will become part of EU and they will solve their residency problems which is stupid because there is no such plan and the banks are just taking over so they can do to the people of Ukraine what they have done to Spanish, Portuguese and Greek. The new government has already said that they are lowering the people´s pension to half. People all over the Europe are making "revolutions" so they can become unemployed, homeless and starved.:rolleyes:

Did you watch the video with assistant Secretary of State for Europe Victoria Nuland and US Ambassador where they are talking about spending 5 billion and planning all the posts in the new government?

Senator John McCain met with Svoboda Party leader Oleh Tyahnybok, sharing the stage with him at an event during which McCain gave the United States’ blessing for the opposition revolt.
    [​IMG]
    Supporters of the party were pictured during the recent uprising in Ukraine wearing “wolfsangel” armbands, the same logo used by Hitler’s Waffen SS and numerous neo-nazi factions worldwide.
    [​IMG]
    Despite Svoboda’s neo-nazi connections, the party has been handed three key positions in the newly formed government.

“These posts include the deputy prime minister and the heads of the agriculture and environmental ministries. In addition to these positions, a Svoboda lawmaker was appointed the new prosecutor general in the interim government,”
    [​IMG]

gworld, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  19. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wasn't there a poll recently where Europeans overwhelmingly said Putin is a more effective leader than Obama?

Putin has all but said he considers Obama a weak, indecisive man that does not keep his work. When Obama drew a line in the sand over the use of chemical weapons in Syria and when those weapons were still used, and Obama did nothing, I can tell you that Europe noticed that.

BTW, haven't been participating recently - I've been enjoying the healthy Texas economy so much!

Corwin, Mar 30, 2014 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is more or less actually proven that it was Obama´s friends who used the chemical weapons in order for Obama and Cameron have an excuse to bomb Syria but people were not fooled once again and your congress and UL parliament stopped them. Now they are trying to stage a false flag operation through Turkey so NATO will have an excuse to get involved but someone taped Turkish officials and put it on YouTube which caused Turkey to ban YouTube.

gworld, Mar 30, 2014 IP