1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Web application test

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Northize, Mar 5, 2014.

I would love it some of you could test my web application which is written in mostly PHP to test its performance and functionality.

It's a web application built for project management and to-dos.

Here's the link for it:
    http://www.projectify.co

THANK YOU, in advance.
    Regards,
    Dan

Northize, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, not 'signing up' just to test, but if the front end of the website is any indication of what's going on underneath the hood... Not good.

What with the home pages "JS for nothing", endless pointless DIV and classes mated to "semantics, what's that?!?" -- followed closely by the inaccessible train wreck of a sign-in page with absolute outright scripttardery for NOTHING, incomplete form, static style in the markup, detached/gibberish use of numbered headings, content 99% of users should never see inlined in the markup so kiss off anything remotely resembling graceful degradation, presence of tags like CENTER that have no business in any markup written after 1997...

With a laundry list of how not to build websites on the front-end, I don't even want to imagine how bad the back-end must be.

deathshadow, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  3. stephan2307

stephan2307 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    • you got html errors w3c Validator
    • Javascript script should be moved into one of the other js files and possibly merge all the js into a single file.
    • If you load the page and scroll to the bottom you can see the mobile view menu. should be hidden.
    • You should enable caching for js, css and image files.
    • Mobile view menu is pretty dark. Only the Enter Dashboard link is in bright colours which makes me think that all the other links are disabled.
    • I registered and was logged in rightaway. no email validation email. not a good practice
    • Once I created a project and a task within that project I looked that the project details. Found this little stray checkbox http://awesomescreenshot.com/08d2g8bi8c
    • Footer order is wrong. Links are usually above the copyright notice http://awesomescreenshot.com/0aa2g8c8b7
    • Project attachments:
      • Selected no file and pressed Upload Attachment and it tried uploading something but didn't tell me that there was no file selected
      • Uploaded a jpg file and thumbnail did not load http://awesomescreenshot.com/04e2g8d753
    • You can add a task for a finished project. Makes no sense to me.
    • Also came across this layout issue. http://awesomescreenshot.com/0c82g8dj3e
    Thats my testing done. Not very thoroughly tested though

stephan2307, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  4. Northize

Northize Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    First of all I'd like to say that I just wanted a test of the php and functionality of the application it self, not the main website. If that would have been the case, I wouldn't have posted in this section at all. The main site of the web application isn't even finished. Anyway, here's my reply for ya.

Wow, you sound really angry. What exactly do you mean with by sematics? Regarding the the sign-in page, it's really not inaccessible. Outright scripttardery, you mean the js snippet which has to functions in it wich isn't used? Like I said, I would like to have the functionality of the web app tested, not look at the source code and verify 2 js functions which isn't used.

The form is complete, if you are referring to the action which is missing, it's not needed to be included if it has it action on the same page.

All of your critisism is about front end code, and this isn't even the right section for it. As I said earlier, I wanted the raw functionality of the website "rated", not complaints about front end code. If you're building a big platform if someone then you should know (retired and all) should be aware of that you start off with the backend first. The rest (front end html & css) is just a mockup of the final product. All of the inline styling is quick fixes and will of course be added accordingly to the css, me myself hate inline styling as well. But it's a good way to get a grasp of the what the final look will be.

Regarding your obviously lack of knowledge (quote) "detached/gibberish use of numbered headings", this is simply following the css framework we use for responsive design, which you would have find out if you'd really had a good look at the source code instead of whining about it all without having a proper look at it.

Northize, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Got a funny error message as it registered my signup which then disappeared as the page refreshed.

How do I show tasks are dependant on the completion of another task(s)?

sarahk, Mar 7, 2014 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  6. Northize

Northize Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey Sarahk. What was the error that you experienced during the sign up?
    At the moment, there are no "child tasks" or something similar, there's just main tasks & projects. It's on our road map though!

Do you have any feedback? :)

Northize, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Without nesting and dates it's just another task list and there are so many out there that are more established. You have to find a point of difference and get it up and running asap

sarahk, Mar 7, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  8. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I will stop here and go make a sandwich.
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Mar 7, 2014 IP
    HuggyStudios likes this.
  9. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    *SNICKER*... guy doesn't even know what semantic markup is; that's the point at which anyone who knows ANYTHING about making websites starts backing away...

Well, that doesn't quite fit what this area of the forums is for either; since this is usually more of a place to discuss code, and you aren't showing any... so what did you expect people to discuss?

Not angry, just disgusted at seeing the same "I can haz intarnets" late '90's style HTML 3.2 markup with either 4 tranny or 5 lip-service wrapped around it.

Semantic markup -- as in using tags (and usually even your classes/ID's) to say what things are, not what they are going to look like. It's part of separation of presentation from content, progressive enhancement, accessible markup and design, leveraging CSS inheritance, and all the other methodologies introduced since 1997.

Instead you have DIV soup a thousand of validation errors. Did I say a thousand? My bad, 1001....

Admittedly, 99% of that is thanks to the placement of DIV, H4 and P inside a SELECT... the only elements that can be children of a SELECT are OPTION, you can't put those there!!!

Where's your FIELDSETs? Your LABELs? Why are you using LEGEND without an associated FIELDSET? You do know Opera (12, real Opera, not the pathetically useless crippleware known as Chrome with the Opera logo slapped on it any old way) and FF are both choking on that second select for keyboard navigation thanks to that DIV that has no business inside the SELECT, right?

... worst of all, that STUPID MALFING "placeholder" nonsense -- news flash, placeholder is NOT a replacement for LABEL!!! ... and for good reasons like "false simplicity".
    http://baymard.com/blog/false-simplicity
    http://www.456bereastreet.com/archi...te_is_not_a_substitute_for_the_label_element/
    http://www.pardot.com/faqs/best-practices/placeholders-and-labels/
    http://www.webaxe.org/placeholder-attribute-is-not-a-label/

.. and don't take their word for it:
    http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/forms.html#the-placeholder-attribute
    Which is probably why I can't even get past that form... and probably part of why SarahK had/has issues.

I mean the attempt to load >100k of javascript in 13 files, which is failing because they're ALL 404. (resulting in ~15k of transfers for nothing instead) I'd hate to see your server logs right now.

Though I call it scripttardery the moment I see that fat bloated halfwit ninny garbage known as jquery in the load list, since it and most of what people do with it has no business on a website in the first place.

Not even CLOSE to complete since again, it's completely invalid and missing essential tags that make it accessible... like FIELDSET, like LABEL.. and has a broken select thanks to that thousand or so elements that don't belong inside a SELECT.

Since this is a coding section, and that's the only code we can see... and thanks to the DIV soup and BROKEN form, what were you expecting for responses?

If that were true, wouldn't writing less markup... semantic markup... make it faster/easier to do? I keep hearing excuses like that and I fail to grasp how endless pointless DIV soup, endless pointless classes, and markup that by your own admission you don't even actually plan on using makes doing ANYTHING 'faster'. Sounds like making more work for yourself to me -- either that or a complete ignorance of what HTML is and how to use it.

Though the latter is VERY common amongst the majority of people sleazing out PHP these days -- a view source of turdpress' normal output is proof enough of that.

Little tip, have TWO editor windows open side-by-side (very nice with widescreens so prevalent) that way you can keep separation of presentation from content while being able to see style and output code at the same time. Usually if you have ANY clue what you are doing your markup should take less time to make and make creating your PHP easier because there's less of it to wade through to get at your PHP logic!

ASSUMING you're not on some garbage editor like Dreamweaver of course, or one that shoves tabs down your throat. (tabs in editors is a step BACKWARDS in functionality in most cases!)

Those H4? Where's the H3 those are by definition subsections of? Or the H2 those H3 would be subsections of. H1 followed by an H4 IS gibberish... Much less the complete lack of headings on the main page with the endless pointless DIV soup. It reeks of "document structure, what's that?!?"

... and that explains a LOT right there; CSS frameworks being the antithesis of accessibility, separation of presentation from content, semantic markup, or even the ENTIRE REASON TO USE CSS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! Nothing like using over 120k of CSS to do 16k or less' job, pissing all over accessibility and the markup in the process, then make wild nonsensical claims about it making development "faster" or "easier".

Though that goes for web development frameworks in general and a lot of the halfwit bull people are sleazing out pages with these days -- Blueprint, YUI, bootstrap, LESS, SASS, OOCSS, jQuery, prototype -- developers are DUMBER for these bloated garbage shortcuts even existing, and it is reflected in the inaccessible buggy broken slow loading garbage they have the giant brass monkey balls to call a website.

When I see such a thing, then can't get / can't be bothered to even get past the login... and there's no actual PHP code to discuss / review, with an inaccessible front end what were you expecting for a response?!?

.. and again something I say all the time, if the front end reeks this badly of "I can haz intarnets" how much of an ineptly coded train wreck is the back end?

deathshadow, Mar 8, 2014 IP
    malky66, ryan_uk and sarahk like this.
  10. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Oh, I see -- those invalid DIV/H4/P are your back end hemorrhaging errors in the login form ... Yeah..... Nothing like ~980 of these:
    <div style="border:1px solid #990000;padding-left:20px;margin:0 0 10px 0;">

<h4>A PHP Error was encountered</h4>

<p>Severity: Notice</p>
    <p>Message:  Trying to get property of non-object</p>
    <p>Filename: views/register.php</p>
    <p>Line Number: 82</p>

</div>
    Code (markup):
    That you can't see because they're inside the SELECT. So my bad, I thought those were intentional because I just saw the tags in dragonfly, not their content. So there's a nice back-end bug for you to fix.

11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    FWIW the thread has been moved to website reviews.

@deathshadow - it's alway enlightening to read your reviews

sarahk, Mar 8, 2014 IP
  12. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Oh, something else:
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0">
    Code (markup):
    You should NEVER declare "maximum-scale" it prevents all mobile and Safari desktop from being able to zoom in. Initial scale is usually sufficient ... you should also now declare "height=device-height" as Android 4.2/later will use that for width in landscape view. :(

13. Vagz

Vagz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Another member asking for critique and then getting insulted because praise was not poured out in gushes. Don't post asking for reviews if you can't take it. If you ask designers/coders to take a look at the site then, of course, we're gonna look at your code because there ain't much differentiation between code/design/appearance/functionality to a person who builds sites - they're all organically linked. Inline coding is a sign that something is terribly lacking with coding skills...and that will most likely lend itself to the entire site. I review quite a few sites and easily pour on the praise when it's deserving - and it often is. Sorry I can't do that for you today. Deathshadow offers some valuable advice/insight. Lick your wounds and heed his advice.

Vagz, Mar 9, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk and sarahk like this.