1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Web Hosting for my setup?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by tobpeter, Mar 2, 2014.

Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap Web Hosting package to host an one site gift shop. What I need is:
    • .com Domain (never registered one before, so I don't know if it's cheaper to buy from the hosting company or buy one seperate and "transfer" it)
    • Disk space: I think 100 mb (max. 500 mb) should be enougth)
    • Bandwith: 100-500 customers a month (I guess I don't need that much, no need for a dedicated server)
    • I have to do some minor checkout-process customizations (using wepay for the gift shop), therefor a hosted platform (shopify, ...) does not fit my needs
    • SSL (not a shard one)
    • My monthly budget is limited, so the cheaper the monthly price the better (especially the first mounth counts)
    • Accept Bitcoin
    • Max 1-2 day setup, the faster the better
    • Best way to create a One-Site-Shop (3-4 Items on one Site): eCommerce software? WordPress? Fully custom coded (I'm comftable with PHP)? any other suggestions?
    What I found is Hosterbox offering what I need (tell me if I'm wrong) for around 25$ (with promo code). Any other hoster suggestions? What about my last point?

Thanks for your answers in advance

tobpeter, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  2. paullopez

paullopez Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would prefer eCommerce software anytime such as Magento, Oscommerce, or PrestaShop. WordPress is also good enough, but I won’t consider it for online shopping site.

Which package you are going to sign up with them at $25.00? If it’s a cPanel shared hosting plan with yearly upfront billing term, including SSL certificate, then I would say, it’s a good deal. But if it’s a VPS, then I guess after first or second month you would be charged for the hosting on regular basis price.

paullopez, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  3. euro-space

euro-space Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Starting from EUR 1.99 /mo. you can get multiple eCommerce solutions like osCommerce, CubeCart, Magento, etc. as well as WordPress and hundreds of 1-click install scripts , 15-Day full money back guarantee, almost 100% server uptime and security with min. 100Mbit internet connection and more.

Chat with us for more info and advice.
    Cheers!

euro-space, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  4. euro-space

Best Answers:

Just for the interest - what kind of experience do you have with them? What is your website hosted there and how long? What is the load average and connection speed?

Please, do post more details about your stuff while recommending somebody's service, as then, recommendations would look genuine and people who are in search of hosting provider would trust you more.

euro-space, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  5. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    The biggest favor that you can do for yourself if you are serious about your web hosting service is to find an affordable host over a cheap one. Too many times price is the motivating factor and it should not be. Look for reliable hosts that have been in the web hosting industry for a number of years. Check for 24/7/365 technical support and live chat options. You may want to also look into how long the money back guarantee extends. Most reputable host now offer 45 days or more. If you are serious about a successful website then consider more than costs in your final decision.

JPC-Sabrina, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  6. euro-space

Best Answers:
    Live tech. support is one of the most important things you have to consider along with money back guarantee.

euro-space, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  7. euro-space

Best Answers:
    Sounds good, which sites do you have with them?

euro-space, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  8. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've given up exposing blatant affiliate advertising a long time ago. There is still quite the number of people here (and other forums), who will just shoot their pre-templated praise about X host and its job well done for them. Asking someone to provide further proof or engage in a discussion about the host is like chasing the wind ;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Rado_ch, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  9. Python1.com Hosting

Python1.com Hosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would recommend Magento. It has a bit of a learning curve, although it's worth it in the end.

Python1.com Hosting, Mar 5, 2014 IP
  10. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try HostVulture.com a friend made it. It offers very cheap hosting.

ash1ey82, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  11. AnnyMason

AnnyMason Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    When you say about cheap, many say about GoDaddy. You can check it. It's on sale 50% off web hosting

AnnyMason, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  12. HostingSprung

HostingSprung Peon

Best Answers:
    Judging off the requirements you need it seems you should go with a ecommerence hosting provider they will be better equipped to handle your needs. I would check out bigcommerence they have a great reputation and service. Strongly suggest going the ecoomerence provider route though, this will make managing and customer experience so much better.

HostingSprung, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  13. euro-space

Best Answers:
    ^ "ecommerce" provider is just another marketing name. If you deal with scripts, servers and different ecommerce CMS engines, you'd understand that server with the good configuration , load balancing, great connection speed and highest uptime possible are the main factors, so anyone considering running ecommerce website should look for above and not just go to some "Ecommerce Hosting".

euro-space, Mar 7, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  14. cesurasean

cesurasean Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would check out Amazon AWS's webhosting services.

cesurasean, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  15. HostingSprung

HostingSprung Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok what your saying here is missing the point, your assuming this guy has a technical background or at least some knowledgeable info in the area of hosting expertise. If you read his post again check out the part where it's stated that he has never even registered a .com domain.

1. He is looking to set up an ecommerce shop so why not choose an ecommerce provider.

2. He said he's looking for an ease one site shop ecommerce software.
    Now can you guess who provides this free of charge, "Yup that right Bigcommerce."

3. Also specified is he wants a quick set up, " So do you think he really has massive amounts of time to design everything on his own with no help" He doesn't want to use a hosted platform such as "shopify".

4. One request was to be able to, "Customize the checkout" well bigcommerce can help with this also.

5. You also say not just some "Ecommerce Hosting" well if you read my post adequately you would've notice I suggested "Bigcommerce"
    not just some ecommerce host but one of the biggest if not the biggest ecommerce hosting provider.

6. With the ecommerce hosting provider i suggested , "Bigcommerce" comes a dedicated sales/support rep and design team on call regular work hours. Yes a freaking design team, "Can you tell me what hosting provider does this."

7. Bigcommerce is reliable and the the chances of them having downtimes are so much lower than anyone else.

8. This all comes in "Bigcommerce's" monthly fee starting at $34.99, with the first month free as a trial run.
    ( Note the customer was looking for a good rate the first month and what's better than a free trial)

So instead of criticizing everybody else why don't you just read the post and answer to help the customer not boost your status man.
    Looking forward to your reply and O you must reply because I gotta hear what you have to say. :)

CHECK IT OUT
    WWW.BIGCOMMERCE.COM

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    HostingSprung, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  16. euro-space

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that looks like a big and detailed promotion , anyway that's good for better understanding for sure. But while doing so, please do provide your connection with the promoted company , at least do let us know your website, personal experience details, how long have you been with them and so on. As that will fulfill the trust to your recommendation.
    I guess, anyone should realize, that just recommendations without any basement are just words, the technique usually using affiliated/paid forum posters, which doesn't give clear image of the provider..
    P.S. sometimes even biggest providers could lack with their services or their services could be not appropriate choice for particular people, while many others can provide great customer support and help with setting up a website.

euro-space, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  17. HostingSprung

HostingSprung Peon

Best Answers:
    Not In anyway am I affiliated with BigCommerce but I'm glad the message was effective, maybe they should pay me for this post. :)

Back to reality now, "My experience actually comes from using BigCommerce in the past while I was a freelance developer."
    My clients had already been with BigCommerce for some time before I started working with them.

Present day a.k.a my current employment credentials:

I actually am the owner of a hosting company and I have tons of first hand knowledge in the field.
    I would list the name of the company to checkout but I am not into self-promotion, that would be
    unethically going against forum rules.
    P.S- As I said before I am about helping the one who asked the question, I provided an answer that met their needs, while also pointing out you are not helping in this particular thread but only criticizing answers without a knowledge basis.

"Supposedly I am the one who needs to provide this background report on my credentials for my forum post answer's and it not you who actually does"

I also know from experience as I wrote in my non affiliated post above, that BigCommerce has great service and
    provides a dedicated sales/support rep and design team, they're defiantly not lacking in service.

So where do you get off insisting via -the post reply- " That BigCommerce might not have the best service just because they're a bigger company." PLEASE LET ME KNOW THIS WITHOUT LYING

Everybody please note effective reading and writing analysis will take you a long way in this world we live in today. :)

Always and Forever
    HostingSprung

HostingSprung, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  18. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Let me quickly go through all these. Just to note I read all the responses so far and I commend you for your fair advice and not just blatant affiliate advertisements. That being said I just want to discuss the logic behind things. Just a quick background check - I have been employed with numerous hosting providers (currently work for one too), so I want to share my viewpoints, based on experience:

1. Like @euro-space suggested, Ecommerce Hosting is mainly a marketing trick (like SEO Hosting for example). While I don't disprove of those methods and I don't say that 100% of hosts do that - MOST of them do NOT have any special configuration on the server to back their claims for specialized hosting and its just some Shared Package with a fancy name.

2. Many companies provide that free of charge

3. Again, not so hard to provide, through Softaculous it can take around a minute or so :)

4. Can't say how many hosts can help, but all I've worked with can and do provide it upon request.

5. Fair point, can't discuss BigCommerce as I haven't used them, they may be really good.

6. Fast and Dedicated Support is provided in most places (altho often lacking quality, can't say how good BigCommerce are in that are so I will trust you on that one)

7. That is just silly - based on what? Who are "anyone else"? Have you tested them all? Any comparable statistics?

8. For a new starter, which is yet to start learning and building, I'd say that is a bit overpriced. OP can easily find a host that might give him less features but plenty of time to learn what he is doing and upgrade/move in the future, when he starts to outgrow his shared account. All in all I guess the design team and the dedicated support increase the end price of the account but it is still quite high for someone that just starts their project.

Again, nothing against BigCommerce or You, they may be great and all and its nice to see reason and not only empty claims. Just my 2 cents here :)

Rado_ch, Mar 8, 2014 IP
  19. euro-space

Best Answers:
    I'm criticizing and that's a part of my contribution here, because I believe, anyone, who is really looking for a good and reliable solution, deserves to get reliable recommendation, and when you provide your own, current experience, that really helps others.
    So if you're not a current customer and you speak on behalf of your clients who already have been with promoted company, where are they now - with you or still with them? If they're with you - another question comes - why did they move to you? are they staying with you and telling how great was that company or? otherwise it looks like you're promoting your clients' past experience , which can't be considered as a workable solution.
    Anyway, people are looking for the recommendations with current experience and reliable sources.
    That's all I can say and further spreading about this subject is senseless.

euro-space, Mar 8, 2014 IP
  20. HostingSprung

HostingSprung Peon

Best Answers:
    First thanks for the reply, all your concerns are very valid and make good points. Though I do have to say I didn't suggest Bigcommerce for their servers but suggested them because they provide many tools and great support for ecommerce hosting that go beyond any one regular shared package. Also your very valid about number -7- on your post. There is no way I could know this, I was just getting a point across about Bigcommerce servers based off experience. This is also true OP can find a cheaper host with less features to start out with at the beginning but if he is expecting to receive the amount of visitors (possible customer) he suggested then an ecommerce platform is better for support and customization. This is just my opinion and with that said I do believe everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. :)
    I'm also going to go ahead and link some info about Bigcommerce servers for everybody interested.

HERE ARE STATISTICS ABOUT BIGCOMMERCE'S SERVERS
    STATUS.BIGCOMMERCE.COM/HISTORY
    Status.Bigcommerce.Com

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    HostingSprung, Mar 9, 2014 IP