1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google is becoming too powerful

Discussion in 'Google' started by maddog1993, Dec 28, 2013.

1. johnrone

johnrone Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, right. Economics is not the main concern (or my main concern) here.
    We, obviously, are not on the same page.
    Thanks though for the irrelevant response.

johnrone, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you really knew economics101, then you would actually know what a monopoly is and that Googe is not one. Go back to school and learn before posting nonsense.

Agent000, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  3. melprise

melprise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You break Google's monopoly over our minds, when it comes to pursuing search engine marketing. You basically operate off of one set of methods of optimizing sites on and off page, that have been thought to be universally sound regardless of search engine, and disregard Google's further algo changes and latest pronouncements. Most people do this in reverse, building their sites for Google, and disregarding other search engines and non-SEO traffic methods, so just flip things around. Stop looking to Google as the self-serving main arbiter of what is "quality," while defining whatever Bing or Yahoo accepts as "spam." Break the corporation's spell, free your mind, and the rest will follow.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    melprise, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  4. johnrone

johnrone Member

Best Answers:
    ooops, I didn't know DP hires a very insensitive and digressive agent. Moderator, is that you??
    Check the other meaning of monopoly please, not just in the "economics" that you so pointed out. I am already aware of that.

If it's hard for you to find other meaning, let me share it to you.
    Noun: monopoly -- "Exclusive control or possession of something"
    --
    I already explained that "I don't literally mean that Google exclusively owns or controls the internet."
    It's just that most people use Google in their searches that makes it look like a monopoly, if you get what I meant.

johnrone, Feb 16, 2014 IP
    serellived likes this.
  5. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I guess when you guys have a few billion in your back pocket, then you can throw your weight around on the internet...
    and it does not really matter if you think google is monopoly or not, the bottom line to them it is business, they are not in the
    game for your happy-ness, and if you really expect google or even the internet to give you a free ride, then maybe
    you are in the wrong type of business, there is simply no guarantees, it does not matter if you made $5,000/mo last
    year, and this year you cant even make enough for a car payment as no one ever made you any promises or guarantees
    that you would ever succeed online. For google, it is about Greed, Power, Control and ? - It simply is not about you.
    Google is in this for the wealth factor, they could care less if you lose yours in their decision making process....

dscurlock, Feb 16, 2014 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  6. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    think of it this way...

a free ride is a free ride...
    (it can end at any time, with no notice or warning)

On the other hand if you have like 1-2m quality back links....
    (then you should feel fairly confident your ride will keep going, as it
    would be sorta difficult to kill your site off with so many backlinks holding you strong)

and these days it can take a long amount of time to acquire that many back links.....

dscurlock, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  7. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Which Google does not have. Look up the difference between monopoly and popular. Yes, people choose to use it, despite the fact that IE is the default browser on most Windows installations and, as a consequence, Bing is the default search engine. Yet, MS has failed to take advantage of this position (although they started to gain some ground since the Bing rebrand) and Yahoo! has been on a continual decline. You seem to forget that Yahoo! and other search engines used to be very popular. However, popularity is not enough and there needs to be innovation, keeping up with the times, always ensuring you are delivering the best results. MS is too busy crying to the EU (and anyone else who will listen) and running Scroogled campaigns (which seem to keep backfiring) to focus enough on its own products and Yahoo! screwed itself due to its deal with MS. If Google hadn't cleaned up its search results, it could have been a different story, but it did, it focused on its audience. On humans (yeah, without that, you can't make money). Something that too many SEOs and webmasters don't do then end up bitter and blame everyone else (using Google and/or the "SEO" they "hired"), rather than look at their own actions (or inactions).

Taking into consideration the meaning of the word, it doesn't look like a monopoly. Maybe to someone who doesn't know better.

No, those are algorithm updates. The guidelines have remained the same. Now the algorithm will automatically take actions that might have only been taken manually in the past, in line with the guidelines that remained the same (!).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    ryan_uk, Feb 17, 2014 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  8. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @billzo, I couldn't agree with you more re not worrying about Google! Let's focus on customers/readers. Do what we can to encourage organic visits but not give a mega corporation the run of our business.

I think we need to control and be responsible for what we present to site visitors and how we run our site. If Google favours us, great. If not, there are other search engines, methods and technologies. We can't rely solely on Google. If they ever disappear, then what?

Besides, if you're doing everything right to the best of your ability, what good does worrying about them do you, anyway? None. And while you are worrying about them, they aren't giving you a second thought. They only have as much power as we give them.

Google is carrying out its business plan to increase its revenue and that's what we should be doing. If one search engine/tool/method isn't working, try something else.

Annea, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  9. TStarnes

TStarnes Active Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, if you have a site that focuses just on the consumer and readers, and aren't in the SEO maze, your site should rank well on google. I have a bunch of sites that I only worry about content and do legitimate self promotion (requests for related blogs to feature my site, talking it up on forums, dropping it in Yahoo answers and on comments) where those links will be noticed and clicked on my relevant users, and my sites rank well in google.

Its when you start trying to do things to get rankings, or try and get rankings faster, that you get tagged.

TStarnes, Feb 17, 2014 IP
    Annea likes this.
  10. melprise

Best Answers:
    No, the math changes follow concrete rule changes, as broken down and described in the link (please rebut the article, not the url title). If anything, Google has actually de-automated its ranking formula, as seen with its de-facto crowdsourcing of 'removing bad backlinks.' Google used to not punish sites for 'bad' links coming in, but only for linking out to 'bad' neighborhoods---whereas the recent updates DO de-rank sites with 'bad' links they had no part in generating. That is a RULE change, which has caused marketers to have to manually battle against 'negative SEO' practiced by others against their sites over the past year, an issue they never had to deal with before. And so on.

The only "guideline" that stays the same is all of these changes are ALWAYS to the discomfit of the smaller marketer, while never affecting big boy sites doing the same alleged "spam" practice. E.g., a lousy article on a big brand name site is NOT punished the same way a similar article on a smaller site gets treated. Google's guidelines and rule changes are driven by corporate profit and big boy favoritism considerations, to protect those two factors from the small fries, papered over with constant altruistic propaganda about preserving "a good user experience."

melprise, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  11. serellived

serellived Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes, it's hard to understand how other people think of a word and what it means to them. What he probably meant is domination.
    To quote the title of this original post, "Google is becoming too powerful", and, I would also add that, it is dominating the online searches. I also would like to think that it is mostly used for seo, just like you said, and I quote, "...too many SEOs and webmasters don't do then end up bitter and blame everyone else (using Google and/or the "SEO" they "hired")..."
    But then again, we are entitled to our own opinion.

serellived, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  12. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    So, drink driving - for a long-time - has been against the "rules" (law). Along came improved technology to analyse the driver's breath, which helped ensure the right decision was made. It wasn't a rule change, the rule was always there. The same with the algorithm; link schemes were always against the guidelines and penalties were handed out for them, long before Penguin, so no the rules were not changed, sites were penalised for participating in them, the rules are now just better enforced.

But if it makes you feel better that Google is bullying the little guys such as JC Penny, Expedia, and so on, then so be it.

ryan_uk, Feb 17, 2014 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  13. melprise

Best Answers:
    Things that weren't ever considered link schemes before now are considered a link scheme, that's a rule change. Google formerly didn't hold sites responsible for what sites linked to them, now they DO, that's a rule change. Organic keyword searches used to NOT be secure, now they ARE secure, that's a rule change. Full conversational search strings were NOT emphasized over keyword-based queries, now they ARE being emphasized, that's a rule change. Re-casting concrete changes as 'better enforcement' is weak sophistry.

And until it's shown that the preponderance of big-brand sites get the same punishment for performing 'spammy' practices that the little guys do (as opposed to the exceptions-that-prove-the-rule examples you mentioned), the rule stands: Google is running a search engine protection racket for the big guys.

melprise, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  14. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yessss! That's what I've been trying to say! Main focus should be on your target audience, NOT Google. If you're offering something good, people will visit, come back and maybe bring others with them by mentioning it to others on a social site or something. Word of mouth is the best type of advertising anyway. As long as you have what readers want, your site will naturally and organically grow.

Annea, Feb 18, 2014 IP
    TStarnes likes this.
  15. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    We are its source of power, plus I don't mind them being in power. They are trying to do the best thing for the consumer. Offering the best phone on the market for the cheapest price on no contract. Offering the cheapest internet and trying to get internet for those in remote locations through balloons. One of the companies I wouldn't mind being in control.

ash1ey82, Feb 20, 2014 IP
  16. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google has been way too big for years. They're a monster with a huge lobby that buys off the legal system and then attacks the competition. It's not hard to find some nasty stuff about their business practices.

With that said, if there's a way I can use their ranking of my website to get effectively free money, I will do so. Smaller PBNs are basically impossible to detect if you're smart.

Derek Land, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  17. Barreiro Horic

Barreiro Horic Peon

Best Answers:
    yes you are right, google becoming too powerful, hope this will never be a problem, I actually trust google a lot.

Barreiro Horic, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  18. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google is turning into a Dictatorship. It is getting more and more authoritarian. It will take a new innovation that could make Google's power obsolete. But it will take sometime.

maddy, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  19. Autofits

Autofits Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Google is becoming more powerful because it wants to be the best. Google has to maintain the quality, therefore it has become more strict.

Autofits, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  20. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not, really a dictatorship. More like a Monarchy, we worship it.

ash1ey82, Mar 6, 2014 IP