1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Website went through Honeymoon Period

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Pihu009, Mar 2, 2014.

Hello,
    Around Dec, 2013, I got to know that my website was in Honeymoon period. My posts were ranking on the first page (even on the first position). But suddenly, traffic dropped. Almost from 8k to 800! I took expert views and they told me that it's a common problem, Google shows new sites higher than others for few months. I was told to write quality content, I should not stop writing good content (However, I was writing the same from beginning). Now, I am following their advice. But, it's getting really hard to pull the same results.

Now, my question is, how to get rid of it? I am writing good and unique content. It's 100% unique. I think, I need to make fresh backlinks. Can anybody suggest me some good backlinks, or where should i submit my website? so as to get the same reputation in search results. Expert suggestions are required.

My website is about technology, Fashion, Entertainment, Automobiles.

Thanks.

Pihu009, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  2. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Backlinks are usually what makes sites rank in google, now days you need good ones not just the run of the mill mass link sites.

If you hear about links on the internet they are already played out, spammed out and old. You need to do research into your niche and make contacts with other sites to get good links.

averyz, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  3. Pihu009

Pihu009 Member

Best Answers:
    That's indeed a useful information you shared. I will research and submit. Backlinks are not alive, as they were once? Directory submission won't work then? I submitted my website on some sites like Technorati. Can you share some more information about the same?

Pihu009, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  4. kellyBee

kellyBee Peon

Best Answers:
    I went through the same for one of my sites. I continued updating my site and a few weeks later my rankings were evetually restored. Did you check your Google Webmaster account incase you have any manual spam actions from Google?

kellyBee, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  5. Pihu009

Pihu009 Member

Best Answers:
    I checked it and found some unwanted links. They were pointing to my website. I don't know how were they made! May be spam? I cleaned them manually. That's great your website got recovered! How often, you used to update? I meant how many articles in one day? Did you emphasize on low competition high searches keywords?

Pihu009, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  6. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should have 3 sites for 3 different niches. Don't combine different niches in a single site.

You ranked for the temporary "freshness effect". It was the highest rank that your site can see at least for the next 2 years.
    You lost the good rankings. Now you can only add good content. Don't bother with SEO, backlinks, etc. Focus on content only. But if you really want to do something for SEO, you may try to improve your site speed and do some on-page SEO. Off-page SEO is risky for fresh sites. Stay away from off-page SEO until the site becomes 2 years old.

makeit easy, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  7. kellyBee

kellyBee Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi

I update my site twice a week

kellyBee, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  8. Pihu009

Pihu009 Member

Best Answers:
    That's something different I got to know from You, that's - it's risky for new sites to do Off-page SEO. I will surely focus on content. But I can't separate these niches now. I write news also, mainly on technology, like image leaks of any new device, covering MWC 2014 event and all. Some experts says, that I should rather focus on low competition and high searches articles as news articles possess small content, so they won't pull my website out from honeymoon period (However, I am writing such Low competition articles from beginning). So, how often I should write articles? I meant, is it a good practice to write 2 articles a day to come out from this havoc?

Pihu009, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  9. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    I never got high rankings when I first started out like that.

Dionne Taylor, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  10. DiggitySEO

DiggitySEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. It's definitely not risky to do off-page SEO on a new site. Here's the SERP rankings for a 10 day old site, 20k/month search, that has nothing but very targeted affiliate content (aka not what people would call 'quality' content). All I've done is add 4 high quality backlinks from relevant sites.

[​IMG]

2. In 2014 you really need to think about having your site focus on one single niche, like people have said. Google is getting in the habit of ranking pages for 'topics' rather than 'keywords'. You'll save yourself a lot of time by specializing and the payoff will be much greater. You'll start ranking for all the longtail and related sub-topics in the genre once Google starts deeming you an expert in a certain field. If you're spread too thin, you're going to need the backlink profile of a high authority news site to pull it off (DA>80. Think msn.com).

3. Don't go nuts writing tons of articles in a short period of time. Especially right now. Google has a random documents algorithm (look it up). When you see a decrease in ranking, for the next 10-14 days, if any drastic measures are taken, such as changing backlink anchors, removing backlinks, throwing up tons of content, etc, they'll see you as trying to recover and trying to game the rankings. Unfortunately this also affects folks that white hat, which it seems like is your approach. I don't do white hat myself, because I don't have the patience or time for it, but a colleague of mine got ambitious right before his typically high sales month and release 40 articles over the span of a week. End result = 50% of expected revenue.

DiggitySEO, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  11. Pihu009

Pihu009 Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, sounds good! But I can't focus on only single niche. Going with your 3rd point - "Not to write tons of articles in short period of time" seems to be quite relevant. We are not familiar with Google's each and every algorithm. I will write with optimum quantity. Less and meaningful. But, I didn't make any drastic changes. By the time, I have made just few backlinks. I think, I should rather follow the same pace as I was doing in the beginning - quality articles and good backlinks. What do you think?
    Thanks for explaining in detail.

Pihu009, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  12. Pihu009

Pihu009 Member

Best Answers:
    Also, I read many articles on "How to recover from Honeymoon Period" - They all have mentioned, that write quality articles Non-Stop and stress on Low competition and high searches articles. Is it true to rank again in Google? Can anybody share their experience here? How they got recovered from this period?

Pihu009, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  13. Rahul Pandit

Rahul Pandit Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had a similar experience with my website. My keywords were ranked on 1st page of google but suddenly it just vanished. I used to write 3-4 articles per week to keep my site updated. After 1 week the keywords started ranking again so my advice to you would be continue what you are doing. Keep writing quality article posts and start submitting it to stumbleupon. You will get genuine traffic.

Rahul Pandit, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  14. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:

Yes it's definetly risky. Because SE will see your activities as you are trying to manipulate SE results by "improving" backlinks. People don't know, or don't want to know to sell something to you, but off-page SEO is risky even for the old sites. Write good content and wait for the natural backlinks at least for the first 2 years.

Don't post too frequently. You are not a machine. There is no exact, strict number. In my opinion, 1 post a week is normal. More than 10 posts per month is not normal unless there is more than 1 writer on the blog.

You should separate the niches. One domain should be dedicated to one niche unless the niches are very closely relevant to each other. There is no problem if you are able to create a close relevancy between "technology, Fashion, Entertainment, Automobiles." But I don't think it's possible. They are completely irrelevant niches.

makeit easy, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  15. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You need to study your niche, find who has the nice sites in it and then study how to get a link on their website.

If you just come on here and try to ask and have people tell you links you will only find low grade links that everyone has, these are basically worthless.

averyz, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  16. Pihu009

Pihu009 Member

Best Answers:
    You're right, I have found only low grade backlinks here. I should rather research the niches. Thanks.

Pihu009, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  17. Pihu009

Pihu009 Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, I will try to take care of the things you explained. And yes, you're right, when I was writing unique articles, reputed and known websites started mentioning my website as a source. I got good links then. I will follow the same strategy. Thanks.

Pihu009, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  18. Pihu009

Pihu009 Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, I 'll follow the same frequency of writing articles. Why you prefer Stumbleupon? Can you explain a bit more that why is it a good practice to submit on stumble upon? I am sharing my articles mainly on Pinterest, Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Apsense. Thanks.

Pihu009, Mar 3, 2014 IP
  19. Rajesh Galgalikar

Rajesh Galgalikar Member

Best Answers:
    don't target your particular keywords in your article and blog content. if you take your main keyword in title then don't anchor text that keyword in your article an blog body. Also build backlinks from .gov and .edu sites, its beneficial. http://www.quicksprout.com/2014/02/12/why-your-search-rankings-are-dropping-and-7-ways-to-fix-it/ may this links will help you!

Rajesh Galgalikar, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  20. Pihu009

Pihu009 Member

Best Answers:
    " if you take your main keyword in title then don't anchor text that keyword in your article an blog body." Ok, Can you explain it more? Why is it not a good practice? And thanks for the link, I will read it.

Pihu009, Mar 4, 2014 IP