1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WHY people do start a business?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by everythinglore, Feb 10, 2014.

1. carldavies

carldavies Member

Best Answers:
    FREEDOM!!! - Nothing like it. Can't remember last time I've woken up to an alarm clock! Let me ask you... Wouldn't you like to work for yourself knowing you have nobody telling you want to do or think?

carldavies, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  2. Julie Anne

Julie Anne Active Member

Best Answers:
    I started my own business so I can employ myself doing what I love instead of working a job I hate. It was more challenging than I expected, but yet it is worth it.

Julie Anne, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  3. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of people mention freedom while starting a business doesn't give you freedom. It gives you less freedom than you would have with a job. You feel you have more control and if you succeed you'll have freedom, but statistically you have a high chance of failing and you'll be working 24/7 to get your business properly up and running and then growing it. Getting a 9-5 job gives you a lot more freedom, especially in western countries where you have a ton of vacation and you can take off for mostly any reason.

Kwaku, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  4. wshiki

wshiki Peon

Best Answers:
    Establishing a business proves one's skill, effort and aim to do something in life, and definitely freedom and money are the major compelling factors to start a business.

wshiki, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  5. WebsitePlex

WebsitePlex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Money + Freedom = Very happy person.

WebsitePlex, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  6. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are mixing "freedom" with the "hard work" you put in a business venture.

How can you have less freedom being your own boss? Having to work 24/7 involves more hard work, but at the of the day you CHOOSE if you want to put this effort or not. If you don't want to be involved 24/7 in your company - hire some competent staff to do it for you and you can just monitor and take managerial decisions if needed. Sure, you might not have the funds for it but bottom line is that no one is stopping you from doing so.

Look it from the other position - how is a hired job giving you more freedom? Can you leave mid-shift because you wanted to go to the movies? Can you deviate from your procedures just because you decided to do so? Or maybe decide on who works with you? Nope. Freedom is not about how many hours per day you work, it is about choice capabilities :)

Rado_ch, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  7. TDI-MAD

TDI-MAD Active Member

Best Answers:
    well, i am with Kwaku here. True, you can leave your own business mid-shift to go to the movies, but for how long would you enjoy freedom in this manner? If it is the one-off case, then you can do that in a 24/7 job also. Plus, after investing huge amounts into a business, I don't think you will be able to enjoy the movie leaving the tasks of the day half-done :p

TDI-MAD, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  8. adbash

adbash Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion they want to develop themself and they can do it by own business. Money isn't a main reason, it's good to have some hobby or passion and then make money from it.

adbash, Mar 1, 2014 IP
  9. depat

depat Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    freedom, fun, you learn more in a shorter amount of time, and you can make maximize your profit by working hard or not

depat, Mar 1, 2014 IP
  10. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    I think you are falling into the same trap here :)

Leave everything else aside, lets talk Freedom only. Not hard work, not value of business, not rationalizing time. Just freedom. What is freedom? - "The power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint". So going by the definition of it, would being employed by someone give you the freedom to do what you want? Can you go ahead and speak your mind, telling your boss he is talking bullshit for example? Can you decide you have an important date or meeting with friends you have to go to and leave your work? I seriously doubt it.

This is the only thing I found arguable in the previous post. Apart from that of course running a business requires more hard work, more dedication, more sleepless nights in order to find success, but I thought that was just self-explanatory :)

Rado_ch, Mar 1, 2014 IP
  11. TA_Maria

TA_Maria Peon

Best Answers:
    Simple reason: To earn money. :cool:

TA_Maria, Mar 1, 2014 IP
  12. TDI-MAD

TDI-MAD Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can see your point there. :) but I don't think freedom can be defined in absolute terms. I mean, yeah there's no one to force you into not taking that leave, while there always seems to be someone or the other in that capacity in a 9-5 job hehe.. But what you are talking about is choices not freedom. You have the choice of taking the day off no matter what. But, well, some might say that the choice of taking any day off, even if that means leaving your an investment unattended, is not exactly freedom.

TDI-MAD, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  13. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Well , the variety of choices is created by the freedom to make them, isn't that correct? Because if I am on shift working tomorrow I don't really have the choice to skip it. I don't have the option available to pack up my stuff and go fishing for example.

And I really don't think that using your freedom, as a business owner, necessarily leads to your business suffering. So what if I have a skilled staff to look at various aspect of my business while I am out fishing? If I surround myself with the right people I always have the freedom to choose an alternative to my daily schedule. And then again, my business might be small and not requiring my constant supervision so I have the freedom to choose how much time and effort I put behind it...all those things not possible if I am hired on a contract :)

Rado_ch, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  14. Julie Anne

Julie Anne Active Member

Best Answers:
    The only thing I miss about a 9 to 5 job (or for me it was usually 5 to 10 pm or 4 to midnight) is going to work, doing my job, and going home. I could forget about work until the next day. However, as far as setting my own schedule, having your own business allows you that freedom. However, there are times when you have to still answer questions by customers when you're "off duty" if the staff you hired for you is unable.

Also, the main reason I'm in business is to have a purpose that I believe in -- to fulfill my own vision rather than another company's vision. At the same time, I do my work for my clients as if it were my own business.

Julie Anne, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  15. AffEngineer

AffEngineer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't know if there's any studies but pretty much everyone I've asked the question are either sick of the working life or have a crazy strong entrepreneurial desire they just HAVE to put into action lol

AffEngineer, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  16. advis

advis Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Freedom, the opportunity to be able to work on what you love is priceless.

advis, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  17. bizacquire

bizacquire Active Member

Best Answers:
    Start business better than employee.
    You can free with your time
    I'm love with own business

bizacquire, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  18. Johnolo

Johnolo Member

Best Answers:
    the goal is the soul
    earn money to free your spirit!

Johnolo, Mar 7, 2014 IP
    diggyisking likes this.
  19. 48LOP

48LOP Peon

Best Answers:
    I would agree with many of the previous posters that freedom is a big reason to start a company. Unfortunately, sometimes it results in the opposite effect and you spend 16 hours at the office 6 days a week like me. But I'm excited to come in every day so I wouldn't say I'm too upset about it.

More than that though, I think the majority of people who start businesses have that entrepreneur mindset. Some people just want to go into a job from 9-5 and get a check every two weeks. Not that there is anything wrong with that by any means. Different strokes for different folks. For me, starting a business was inevitable. I used to save my Halloween candy and sell it back at school a couple of months later. I was seven.

48LOP, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  20. TDI-MAD

TDI-MAD Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, this is a version of the argument to which I can agree ;). But, then there are many conditions like you have stated: good staff, not a very big operation, etc. that have to be fulfilled. Just starting your own business is not enough for freedom. But yes, you would be in a better and more powerful position to attain freedom if you have your own business - I will agree to this fact :).

TDI-MAD, Mar 10, 2014 IP