1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Much Do You Pay to the Web Designer?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Ethnetia, Feb 17, 2014.

Before recruiting a web designer do you set the payment?

Solved! View solution.
    Ethnetia, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  2. Roydlanco

Roydlanco Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I prefer asking their rate before fixing anything beforehand. This is the best way to get the best deal!

Roydlanco, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  3. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    depends on how much of a professional he is.

usually 50% advance is more than enough, if you see him to be more of an established member here

also, check his last posts, usually you will find what type of a person he is

Regards

competent123, Feb 17, 2014 IP
    Usually when I'm working with clients either from here or else where, I ask them what they're wanting exactly and how much they would like to spend. Knowing what is wanted gives me a better idea for a quote and whether or not I am willing to do the job within the budget. Then I tell the potential client what I would charge for what they are wanting and we go from there. Either on agreement or negotiations.

Then once a price has been determined I generally request at least 50% up front before I begin and/or before I show them anything as an example. I also watermark all my designs and drafts until final payment has been made.

FallenShadow, Feb 20, 2014 IP
    cronik likes this.
  5. lanotdesign

lanotdesign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    for a web design only, 100USD to 200USD for the index page is the standard depending on the style and functionality you require. But 50% downpayment is usually required.

lanotdesign, Feb 20, 2014 IP
  6. Asif Aziz

Asif Aziz Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, get an price before work begins. Create a specific description of what you require, agree a price & then they can start work.

Freelancer.com is pretty good for finding designers. You can create a generic description of what you want, get a range of bidders who will state their price for doing the work, you then pick the best ones, PM them with a more specific description, then pick one from the shortened list & agree a price.

Az

Asif Aziz, Feb 20, 2014 IP
  7. jumbldrohit

jumbldrohit Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You could try working backwards from how much would a Freelancer like getting paid. Generally there's a simple calculator most designers use at http://www.yourrate.co/

There are two ways to pay your designer:
    1. hourly basis
    2. Fixed retainer

You could choose among the two for what works best. Usually the designer will anyway clear the payment terms upfront anyway.

jumbldrohit, Feb 21, 2014 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    To me that would depend on what you mean by a "web designer" -- if they have a working knowledge of the WCAG, understanding of the capabilities, limitations and proper use of HTML and CSS, and can bother practicing the minimalism inherently imposed by the medium -- well, then they're work could be worth as much as $500 for a working template -- and when I say "template" I mean working HTML+CSS+IMAGES.

However, if you mean one of these halfwit fools who the only thing they know is Photoshop, spanking out goofy pictures that have nothing to do with an accessible design and then having the giant brass monkey balls to call themselves a "designer", they're work isn't worth a blasted thing, no matter how many halfwit ignorant fools hand money over to such scam artists daily. These are the people responsible for the slow, broken inaccessible web and the sooner we stamp them and their "cart before the horse" mentality out, the better!

To be brutally frank, the "designs" vomited up by such ignorant fools just proves that in the vast majority of cases, the people who call themselves designers don't know enough about HTML, CSS or accessibility to be designing but two things. All you have to do is poke your head into template whorehouses like TemplateMonster or ThemeForest to see said ineptitude in action!

The problem is, most people holding the purse-strings don't know enough about HTML, CSS or accessibility to make an informed choice, which is why such sleazy scam artist nonsense is able to prey on that ignorance at every level, from major corporations to government institutions to the small businessman to grandma wanting a site about her cookies.

The very NOTION of starting out drawing goofy pictures in a paint program like Photoshop before you have semantic markup and a working CSS layout is -- again -- putting the cart before the horse and a completely back-assward approach to design, resulting in bloated, slow, inaccessible train wrecks that do more harm than good for the reputation of the halfwits who deploy them and any poor fools who don't know enough on the subject to realize they're being taken for a ride!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    deathshadow, Feb 21, 2014 IP
  9. Billy Warner

Billy Warner Member

Best Answers:
    Depend the experience!

Billy Warner, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  10. jjkegs13

jjkegs13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Generally you want to discuss the rate up front. Obviously it will be a tentative quote, but you can establish a range to work with

jjkegs13, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  11. John Michael

John Michael Member

Best Answers:
    Its depend on designer skills and your work. If you hire a professional and high class designer then you will pay more. You need to fixed the price of your work . In my opinion always hire professional and high class designer because you pay for him little bit more money but his work will be appreciated.

John Michael, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  12. TA_Maria

TA_Maria Peon

Best Answers:
    Check their sample first then try to ask how much it cost of their services. If you have a low budget, then try to negotiate or start with a project base payment.

TA_Maria, Mar 1, 2014 IP