1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

exploits in /tmp folder

Discussion in 'Apache' started by costy81gl, Feb 23, 2014.

Hi
    On one of my server I have just fund a new folder /tmp/test/ containing 5 files for sending spam. The folder was created today at 18:34, and the spammer sent only 3 emails to some test addresses. But I am affraid he will come back in the next hours.

I searched in access_log and I found no unususal urls accesed at the time when the folder was created. What should I do next? How can someone create a folder in /tmp folder?

costy81gl, Feb 23, 2014 IP
  2. ElizabethKonig

ElizabethKonig Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would start with rkhunter and see it's output if it finds something. Just to be sure.

ElizabethKonig, Feb 23, 2014 IP
  3. oneilonline

oneilonline Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You should make sure your firewall is running with the correct configs.
    And like what Koing said, run rkhunter and make sure the server is locked down.
    The tmp folder should also be locked down. chown and chmod it so that only the service has access.
    All of these will prevent tmp incorrect usage.

oneilonline, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  4. costy81gl

costy81gl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those 5 files belong to apache user. So, I suppose there is a security issue on one of my sites. My firewall is ok, but I cannot close http port. I have to find the corrupted php page and I don't know how because I have more than 50.000 php files. Rkhunter and chkrootkit could not find anything.

Is there a way to know the php source of each tmp file created? That would be great.

EDIT: I have just discovered the way to have a different upload_tmp_dir for each domain by adding to vhost.conf file one line to each domain. I'm sure this will help me.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    costy81gl, Feb 26, 2014 IP