1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best way to redirect a domain and keeping it indexed?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by tbtb, Feb 18, 2014.

Hey,

I have this dilemma of which redirection/forwarding method to choose in order to keep my domain indexed.

The goal: I have a domain.com which I want to forward/redirect to a certain URL and I want the domain to be indexed on Google and save its SEO value.

Which method should I choose in order to achieve this goal?

The options I'm considering are:
    • 301/302 redirection
    • Make an html page with <meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="1.5; url=XXX ">
      And type in body: "you are being redirected to URL..."
    • Use frame redirection (also known as URL Mask), like in here:
      http://www.webmasterworld.com/html/4159804.htm
    Which option should I use? do you know any better methods?

Thanks in advance.

tbtb, Feb 18, 2014 IP
  2. NadaBolt

NadaBolt Active Member

Best Answers:
    301 (permanent) / 302 (temporary) redirection is quite popular and reliable method..!!
    I prefer it.
    Also when u do 301/302 redirection, you should do it slowly, carefully and partly manner.
    Means starting with some part/pages of your website, gradually redirecting entire website.
    - Also during redirection phase, it is better keep your onpage SEO intact. (You can change it slowly after everything is stable.)
    - Also if possible update your backlinks (especially from the major websites like wikipedia, dmoz etc.).
    - In the end, use the Change of Address tool in Google Webmaster Console. In Google's own words - "If you've moved your site to a new domain, you can use the Change of address tool to tell Google about your new URL. We'll update our index to reflect your new URL."

This way you can redirect your domain without loosing much of your search engine ranking or indexing.

NadaBolt, Feb 18, 2014 IP
  3. SEOsince99

SEOsince99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I'm confused.

Are you trying to keep BOTH domains active but somehow pass along the PR from one to the other?

SEOsince99, Feb 18, 2014 IP
  4. MikeLugar

MikeLugar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly using any redirection method whether is be 301/302 iframe etc. is going to hurt the domain's SEO ranking especially with the new Google algos. Could you potentially place useful content on the site to keep it's rank and then place several internal links to your target site?

MikeLugar, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  5. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    301 redirect it`s a good way, doing it slowly, not everything at once, but you will never be able to keep it`s seo to full value. Sorry.

webcosmo, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  6. tbtb

tbtb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the helpful answers. My only will is not to get de-indexed from Google, which method is the best to achieve this goal?

tbtb, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  7. NadaBolt

NadaBolt Active Member

Best Answers:
    As I told in my earlier reply , use the Change of Address tool from Google webmasters. It will help u to keep ur website indexed.

Regards,

NadaBolt, Feb 20, 2014 IP
  8. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    301 is the best redirect because google take domain and sub domain as different. For increase the indexed speed , you must have to ping the website also.

humtuma, Feb 20, 2014 IP
  9. prozeal

prozeal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just make a very basic index page with an Enter here page, include all the info you would on a iframe redirect (meta description, title, keywords)

prozeal, Apr 25, 2014 IP