1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help choosing a robust CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by luiman, Jan 8, 2014.

Hi

I am currently looking for a new robust CMS for my website. Currently I am using Joomla 2.5 but am wanting a CMS that has a lot more flexibility and is more secure and robust.

I see a lot of the bigger sites are using .net or similar. I am looking for a solution that is not too expensive and will suit my needs. Currently I am looking at Expression Engine and Kentico.

Has anyone had experience with either CMS? If so can you give me some feedback on your experience.

What I am looking for is the following:

1. Provide a good forum module - So there can be multiple topics and discussions

2. Provide a good calendar module where you can add your own event as seen on http://brooklynexposed.com/

3. Provide a jobs module as seen on http://www.pedestrian.tv/jobs

4. Provide a good ecommerce module - I know wordpress has woocommerce

5. Provide intuitive image galleries as seen on http://www.pedestrian.tv/arts-and-culture/galleries/colab-art-vs-eyewear-exhibition/5ab36a3b-5719-4eac-b1ae-b1fad0789dd7.htm

6. Provide a classifieds section where people can post ads

I know wordpress can do all this but as I said I am looking for a more robust CMS. Any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

luiman, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are a php developer Drupal is probably the way to go but that stuff sorta has a mind of its own.

Conversely with a few commercial plugins you can do this with wordpress, functionality wise, in about an hour. Wordpress is plenty robust. It has not simply been a blogging app for years.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  3. GJG

GJG Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes Drupal could be your answer but it has a reasonably steep learning curve. But then again, if you have been working with Joomla for some time, you would be well qualified to pick it up.

I have developed sites in both Drupal and WordPress and I must say that WordPress is still my preferred CMS. It is easy to learn and there are endless online tutorials and self-help guides online. There are endless plugins to choose from, each of which adds additional functionality, but you would want to be selective with your plugins so that you don't have a slow-loading site.

GJG, Jan 8, 2014 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  4. swasa

swasa Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, Wordpress is better CMS than joomla.

swasa, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  5. Nick02

Nick02 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I vote for Wordpress. It is by far the best free open source CMS out there!

Nick02, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  6. Tabish Naeem

Tabish Naeem Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So when you hear the word robust CMS the first thing that comes into the mind is - Drupal.

Tabish Naeem, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  7. myWPx

myWPx Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely Wordpress! It will always be my favorite. There is absolutely no limits to what you can achieve with wordpress. Wordpress has plugins for just about anything, and if they don't have something you are looking for... The custom post type feature is very powerful and you can just about achieve anything with it.

myWPx, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  8. Sarah Davis

Sarah Davis Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't overlook Wordpress here. Wordpress can do everything you have listed with some plug-ins, plus it has some really nice themes too! My vote goes for Wordpress, its very easy to use and there are loads of tutorials online to get you started.

Sarah Davis, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  9. todachange

todachange Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    luiman . what is your website? aware me please

todachange, Feb 17, 2014 IP