1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is SPAM anyway?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by erebus1984, Feb 15, 2014.

I was going over what could possibly be killing my brand name serps today (now ranking #8 YAY!! fuck off google) and I briefly (i really hope this isnt a ranking factor) conjured that the factor could be my cloaked whois settings. Now ive got a rather old domain and ive been neckbearding for a while now so i remember why i used the cloaking service; to reduce the amount of SPAM i got in my inbox.

in my inbox.
    spam.

So anyway, is this really a ranking factor? I've also read that the number of years you have a domain paid for is a ranking factor too.?

erebus1984, Feb 15, 2014 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Years ago the amount of time a domain was registered for was indeed said to be a factor. This did not apply to domains like .co.uk for example as they could only be registered for 2 years.

dot com's etc it did and it was what one might call one of those mythical 200 plus factors which was the number banded about some ten years and over ago along with the likes time spent on page and other such things. It was only a very small factor though and this was many years ago and whether or not it still applies you will have to research.

As for Spam it is a meat product made famous during World War 2 as a cheap staple meat product and is a Danish product sold in tins that got the biggest free advertising coup in the history of mankind thus far my becoming the name associated with what began as emails received that we're unsolicited offering various services and products, but all joking aside as for the definition of "webspam" that differs from one person to another and what one person calls spam another will disagree on.

The best thing to do is to read back over the years and try and piece things together and take your own perspective as everyone has there own take on the stories...

Revelations-Decoder, Feb 15, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  3. erebus1984

erebus1984 Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope you're right. Well I'm just trying to figure out this EMD thing. I think google's number one factor now is a random number generator.

im being festicious of course.

erebus1984, Feb 15, 2014 IP
  4. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're trying to work out this EMD thing LOL so are Google. Bing etc :) but they are not having that much luck if you look at SERPS, though Google did strat to look as though they had got an edge for a while but the more I look at it the less it seems they really have made that much of an impact in anyway againsyt EMD's truth to be told IMHO

BTW Spam ois also relative to each place to as you likely know as it oft depends on whether it treads on ad spend factors here there or everywhere...

Revelations-Decoder, Feb 15, 2014 IP
  5. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt that WHOIS is in any way affecting your google ranking. If you just want to prevent spam in your inbox, install a spam filter on your server.

ash1ey82, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  6. DiggitySEO

DiggitySEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Private who.is registration indeed has a negative effect on SERP ranking.

This applies to both your money site and linking sources
    • If your money site is cloaked with private registration, it won't rank as high as if it did without cloaking
    • If you're getting backlinks from sites with private registration, they won't be as powerful as if these sites didn't have cloaking.
    Like all the advise I give, this is based on testing, not speculation.

DiggitySEO, Feb 16, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  7. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    But, WHO.IS is very useful. I'd recommend getting private who.is .

ash1ey82, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  8. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am sorry @DiggitSEO but i will not agree on this as i've done a quite short research on this and according to the Google reports they say that Private registrations won't hurt your rankings..... I think you should have a look at it "seroundtable.com/archives/018172.html"

John Dave, Feb 24, 2014 IP
  9. gorrior

gorrior Member

Best Answers:
    Spam is the opposite of quality. Both might rank, but guess what I prefer

gorrior, Feb 24, 2014 IP