1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to avoid getting banned in email marketing?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Stiffin.in, Feb 14, 2014.

I run a B2B business and I advertise my services through email. My problem is that my emails remain unanswered as they somehow end up in the spam folder.

What is the best way to conduct email how marketing without being considered a spam?

Waiting for your positive response :)

Stiffin.in, Feb 14, 2014 IP
  2. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Could you advise how you got the emails in the first place?

Ethan Alvin, Feb 15, 2014 IP
  3. DEBooks

DEBooks Guest

Best Answers:
    The best way to email market is to sent to a list of subscribers that have have agreed to receive your messages. This is accomplished by building a list of your own where the client has to "opt in" and verify their email thus granting you permission to send them promotional material. Donot Rent or Purchase email names from any source As more than 90% of them have been obtained illegally.

DEBooks, Feb 15, 2014 IP
  4. Stiffin.in

Stiffin.in Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I have search a lot about it.

Now, I understand about this matter. Thanks for your best answers.

I have written article on this topic also :)

Stiffin.in, Feb 15, 2014 IP
  5. Seaman Staines

Seaman Staines Member

Best Answers:
    The fact is, if you are sending generic emails on a large scale to solicit business from cold contacts, then you are a spam (as you put it)

Seaman Staines, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  6. mbanj

mbanj Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reason you are presently getting your message end up in the
    spam box is probably you bought the lists, but if you build your list
    from the scratch that is people that gives you permission to 'send them
    emails then your emails wouldn't end up in the spam box.

mbanj, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  7. BoostSoftware

BoostSoftware Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're right. Getting your own emails from your own marketing efforts is much better than buying someone else's. It's hard to convince people that they actually wanted you to send them. I also think that having modest headlines for the email subject that covers the content of a blog post or newsletter posting is better than the crazy "L@@K @t this Fr## thing I'm going to send you." It's so obvious when they put the symbols in place of the letters that they're trying to bypass email spam filters. Don't be like them. :)

BoostSoftware, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  8. Twist Digital

Twist Digital Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Stiffin, it helps if you use a good email marketing platform such as Aweber, Mailchimp or Getresponse. When you're collecting your list of subscribers try setting it to double opt-in so that each new member has to confirm their email address before they become a new prospect. This cuts down on fake email sign-ups and improves the overall quality.

Twist Digital, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  9. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If it helps, in my humble opinion, AWeber seems to be the better option than GetResponse

Ethan Alvin, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  10. adsfairdeal

adsfairdeal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    please suggest any free tool to send email in bulk without bounce back.

adsfairdeal, Feb 25, 2014 IP
  11. DEBooks

DEBooks Guest

Best Answers:
    Try Using Traffic Exchanges

DEBooks, Feb 25, 2014 IP
  12. Neagu Ionut

Neagu Ionut Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all I won't suggest to use a free tool since I am pretty sure that your deliverability will be really bad. If you send cold emails, try to send them in small batches and spend a lot of time testing them to make sure you have a good reply rate.

My advice is to write the message about them and not about you, don't try to make the sale in the first line.

Neagu Ionut, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  13. jeffatrackaid

jeffatrackaid Active Member

Best Answers:
    To avoid getting blacklisted and dropped into the junk folders, use different email channels or different purposes.

I split email into 3 categories:
    • Business/Personal
    • Transactional
    • Marketing
    Business/Personal Emails
    These are emails between 2 people - business or personal correspondence. These will always be people you know or were given their email for a specific purposes. Complaints will be rare but this is a high value email channel. Don't combine it with marketing emails as your risk compromising your business email correspondence.

Transactional Email

These are automated emails between your business and your customers/web visitors. These include items like shipping notices, forum updates, password resets etc. Typically these 1:1 type emails from an automated system to a person who's interacts with your business in some way. These emails generate fewer complaints and may be combined with personal/business emails if volume is low.

Marketing Email
    These are your newsletters, autoresponders and generally any sales/marketing related emails that are not specific to a 1:1 transaction like those above. These emails generate the most complaints and need to be isolated to their own delivery channel.

Delivery Channels
    For each category of emails, you will want to use a different delivery channel. For example, if you use your server for business/transactional emails don't end your marketing emails from it.

Use a dedicated email marketing service or a 3rd party delivery service like Sendgrid to help you diversity your channels.

Example
    I worked with a B2B e-commerce operator that sells promotional items (think conference schwag). They had a lot of email delivery issues until they setup a 4 pronged delivery mechanism.

Business Email - Moved to a hosted email service provider (Office 365).

Transactional Email - sent directly from the server hosting the e-commerce site.

Marketing Email (High Quality): This was a marketing list composed of prior customers, people who requested samples or asked direct questions on the site. These were sent via Sendgrid.

Marketing Email (Low Quality): These were purchased lists, conference lists, etc. Send directly from their email service provider (Aweber)

Once they split things up, problems went away. Also this assured that their transactions emails were not flagged as junk. This cut down a lot of staff time resending invoices and shipping notices. Their high quality list went up by 20% due to better delivery.

So the short version -- segment your email delivery by the type of email and you will have far fewer issues.

jeffatrackaid, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  14. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use a popular service such as AWeber, Get Response or Mail Chimp. Do an email deliverability test to figure out which emails are more likely to go into the spam box of your subscribers. Require all of your subscribers to confirm their email addresses after subscribing. Some of your subscribers may give you somebody else's email address which could get you in trouble. When you followup with your subscribers, always give them useful information. Bombarding your list with nothing but offers could get you banned for spamming even if all of your subscribers opted in to your list.

http://mailchimp.com/about/deliverability/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    gregdavidson, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  15. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    PM me if you guys need a product to give away :)

Ethan Alvin, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  16. Katie180

Katie180 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are lots of contributing factors to consider when emails end up in the spam folder. Are you using the right software to send cold emails? Have you avoided 'spammy' words within your subject line and body content? Are you using too many images? Out of all of these factors, your email sending platform is definitely the most important. To start, I would check your email service provider’s sending permission policies (here’s a helpful list: http://www.clickback.com/landing/seo/banned-by-email-provider.asp) to ensure they allow sending cold emails.

Katie180, Jul 9, 2015 IP
  17. Andy-Jones

Andy-Jones Member

Best Answers:
    Mainting a list of prospects or recipients who have opted or subscribed to receive your promotional emails is the best way to go about it. Its easier said than done as building such a database takes time but eventually yields good results.

Unsolicited email is a thing of the past and most of the times with these emails lists available for purchase online, you will find that these lists majorly contain either fake or dormant addresses or inactive ones.

Andy-Jones, Jul 9, 2015 IP
  18. mentat47

mentat47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That is one problem I see with e-mail marketing. They can always end up in the spam folder, which means it will never be read. I would agree that the best way to utilize an e-mail marketing campaign is with an already established list of subscribers.

mentat47, Jul 9, 2015 IP