1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link Removal Request

Discussion in 'Directories' started by arrisweb, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Really? I would have thought that charging for link removal was capitalism.

Agent000, Feb 10, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I would have thought that if a complete stranger wants you to do something some "compensation" for the time and effort was appropriate.

I love that americanism of calling your hard earned pay "compensation" and it works well in this instance.

sarahk, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  3. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is what I did when I had a directory, you never know it could be a competitor out to sabotage links.

Most link removal requests I got were polite, they were just uneducated about links and took whatever google told them at face value. So as soon as I got a message from that domain name I would remove the link.

I got a couple of threatening messages like the op I just ignored them and left the link up, if they kept emailing me I would report them to spam cop.

Like someone is going to open an federal court case for a link removal..? lol
    I will save them some trouble and settle out of court for $10k, I'm sure the lawyer would approve if he really cared about his clients financial strategy and sanity.

averyz, Feb 10, 2014 IP
    arrisweb and sarahk like this.
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

If google had a long standing policy of not liking directories or blog networks as they call them then the webmasters who were using those outlets should have known that and are in fact culpable. To hold a directory or blog or any other site for that matter responsible for the decisions of a webmaster seems a bit extreme. Google is saying in effect that they are willing to punish any site that decides to charge a fee to add or remove a link. Yet Google will gladly take the money of a directory or blog network in the form of Adwords advertising. It seems to me that Google's lack of appreciation of competition in the interlinking of web sites is what is at issue here, not the web sites that seek to profit from selling widgets and the directories or blogs about widgets that seek to profit off helping those widget sites sell their widgets.

Google wants the widget owners to pay Google to display their widget web sites and only Google.

Mia, Feb 11, 2014 IP
  5. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the world of Google where they totally control the internet and how you use it.

stoner3221, Feb 12, 2014 IP
    arrisweb likes this.
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to think the reporting those who won't take links down does more harm to the person reporting than the site being reported. After all, in effect, they are saying..."I spammed this site and now they won't remove my spammy link."

YMC, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Think about it. You're systematically dismantling your web site and the ability for others to find your web site to make ONE SE happy. All the while forgetting that there are other SE's. So in an attempt to protect a hit in traffic from Google you now in effect completely destroy any traffic from BING, YAHOO, etc.. So now instead of having some traffic coming from some locations you have NO traffic coming from anywhere, including Google, which at the end of the day is not going to make any effort to restore your traffic, SERPs, PR or anything else to the level it once was.

Unless... You pay google to advertise your web site. ;)

Mia, Feb 12, 2014 IP
    luanatf, sarahk and averyz like this.