1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Framwork codeIgniter

Discussion in 'PHP' started by DzCoder, Feb 6, 2014.

I'm software developer, and I want to switch in web developpement, I'm looking for the best framwork using.

I found codeIgniter, it very easy to use, and her architecture MVC it simple to understand.

What do you think about codeigniter?

Digitaly

DzCoder, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's pretty much crap, but not the worst of the frameworks. Pretty much all frameworks suck donkey balls, for different and abundant reasons, but sometimes knowing them can at least steer you in the right direction (don't use frameworks). And unfortunately, employers often ask for knowledge in a framework, instead of asking if you know the underlying language.
    Learn PHP properly, and picking up a framework afterwards should be easy.

PoPSiCLe, Feb 6, 2014 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  3. webshore88

webshore88 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am using Codeigniter for more than 2 years and I found it easy to use and well structured framework. If you face any problem with CI feel free to ask me. And one more thing until you CI you can not understand the potential of CI, so my suggestion is use it first then make an opinion.

webshore88, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
  5. bogi

bogi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've used CI for about a year and a half but decided to change. I'm a big fan of Laravel now, you can check it on http://laravel.com/

CI is not up-to-date with the current technologies, and while it's stable, it's hardly updated. Laravel has Eloquent ORM, migrations, layout control, tons of packages, PHPUnit ready, etc. Seriously, just check it out :)

bogi, Feb 7, 2014 IP
  6. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For what most people use Frameworks for (MVC, Templating, Config and URL Routing) you can accomplish that in a single 5 KB class and a few lines in a .htaccess.

I've wasted a LOT of time learning frameworks just to find that I never needed them in the first place.

Learn how to program properly and you will be fine.

NetStar, Feb 9, 2014 IP
    HolyRoller likes this.
  7. webshore88

webshore88 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well you are right. I use both of them my own framework and CI. I choose them on client demand.

webshore88, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  8. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I started developing websites, the first thing I learnt was probably HTML/CSS, then PHP and MySql. While frameworks have their use, in most cases they aren't needed. Also learning how to code PHP (properly) first, as mentioned above is probably the best way forward.

HolyRoller, Feb 11, 2014 IP
  9. limitlessjz

limitlessjz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure why there are so many people on here saying Frameworks suck. They save many lines of code and have many useful helper classes to assist in rapid web development. Why create the wheel over and over again? This is the exact reason all of these libraries exist today. With that being said, I read through the article explaining why frameworks suck in php. He might as well have come out and said php sucks in general. It's complicated to debug and it's an interpreted language. If you're looking for speed and useful error messages move to a compiled language. I personally enjoy PHP and do use it with smaller projects because of its simplicity and low cost web hosting.

limitlessjz, Feb 11, 2014 IP
  10. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think some of this comes down to the attitudes of many of the companies that insist on using one framework for every project.

For me, if a framework, CMS or similar is going to be used, it needs to fit the project, you shouldn't have to do it the other way round. ZEND maybe perfect for one project, but overkill or inappropriate for another. I have worked for a few companies that insist on using one thing for every project they do, regardless of if it is needed or not.

HolyRoller, Feb 11, 2014 IP
  11. livedating

livedating Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used CI and Kohana for 3 years but then I switched to other frameworks.
    DzCoder, as per your question, I would suggest you to take a look at YII - http://www.yiiframework.com/
    Its very fast, flexible and professional.

livedating, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  12. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Because they do -- most replicate existing functionality, try to use programming conventions like MVC that have jack **** to do with how an interpreted top-down language even works (or is supposed to work), are massively bloated, ineptly coded... Throwing more code at a project is not the answer!

For every line saved you end up with a few hundred lines of bloat -- that's worth it HOW exactly? Any savings in development time are pissed away on higher hardware costs, needless complexity, harder to maintain code...

I swear it's like Cobol and diBol developers charging by the K-Loc are rising from the grave or something.

Take @livedating's suggestion of Yii -- the website ALONE should send up warning flags with the trifecta of /fail/ at design; as I keep saying if they can't even make an accessible well coded front end, are you REALLY going to trust a framework that for you is going to be a "hands off black box"?

That it's a 4 megabyte archive unpacking to 20 megabytes should alsoend up a flare "this is stupid"; all by itself this "framework" is bigger than some forum softwares.

Hell, just look at the main include's source:
    <?php
    /**
     * Yii bootstrap file.
     * @author Qiang Xue <qiang.xue@gmail.com>
     * @link http://www.yiiframework.com/
     * @copyright 2008-2013 Yii Software LLC
     * @license http://www.yiiframework.com/license/
     * @package system
     * @since 1.0
     */

require(dirname(__FILE__).'/YiiBase.php');

/**
     * Yii is a helper class serving common framework functionalities.
     * It encapsulates {@link YiiBase} which provides the actual implementation.
     * By writing your own Yii class, you can customize some functionalities of YiiBase.
     * @author Qiang Xue <qiang.xue@gmail.com>
     * @package system
     * @since 1.0
     */
    class Yii extends YiiBase
    {
    }

Code (markup):
    Shades of turdpress developer asshattery -- if you don't know what's wrong with that, do the world a HUGE favor, back the **** away from the keyboard and take up something a bit less dangerous like macramé.

deathshadow, Feb 12, 2014 IP
    PoPSiCLe likes this.