1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Recommend a good host for a London bloke?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Glitcher, Jan 4, 2014.

I'm considering my options just now to host my first site. I'm starting up a small freelance art business, so the site has little more than a profile and a few galleries, that sort of thing. I'm wondering if there are any decent UK or European hosts for a Londoner to register his own domain, or would I be better off joining the all-powerful Godaddy or Hostgator services? Feel free to help out a n00b. :p

PS. Unrelated quickie: is the Impact font universal enough that I can use it in site design, or do I have to go through a web font site like Cufon?

Glitcher, Jan 4, 2014 IP
  2. kjmartyn

kjmartyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use both hostgator and godaddy. They are both great. Good customer service.

kjmartyn, Jan 4, 2014 IP
  3. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nigel Lew, Jan 4, 2014 IP
  4. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't really matter, as long as the price is reasonable. In my (limited) experience, hosts are all much the same in the end, wherever they're based, as long as you pick one with decent service.

If you want to set up and try things out for a while and just pay the domain name costs, a friend of mine offers space on his VPS to people on his forum (here). Very few requirements (e.g. don't be illegal and don't use up gigs of space without asking first) and you can always switch off to your own provider later, if you like. The advantage is that you get the VPS speed (which is much better than shared hosting speed) at no cost.

It's a standard sans-serif option, I believe. There's an excellent site with all the font groupings for CSS setup over here.

Hope it helps!

TIEro, Jan 4, 2014 IP
  5. SubediK

SubediK Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of hsots out there. I would personally recommend staying away from big hosting companies like justhost or hostgator since they put a lot of websites in the same time which is not good for security. Find some small but reliable host from the advertising section or check out web hosting talk forums. Good luck

SubediK, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  6. BeltHosting

BeltHosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hostgator and godaddy are good? Then I must say you didn't tried out others, because you would be surprised with big difference in quality and speed.

BeltHosting, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  7. XiNiX

XiNiX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are Many Good Hosts and i recommend you to look at offers section at DP or WHT.
    Check the Reviews of hosts their uptime, refund policy etc. I think You will easiliy find a host under $10/mo.

My Personal Recommendation :

http://www.cyberhostpro.com/website-hosting/
    http://jshosts.com/
    http://safesrv.net
    http://ezpzhosting.co.uk

XiNiX, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  8. Andy01

Andy01 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    WebhostingUK, WebhostUK LTD and RShosting are among recommended hosting providers in UK.

Andy01, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  9. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've used Godaddy before, utter crap.

Most hosts are pretty much the same, Pick the ones where you get a freebie, like a free domain and advertising. etc.

As for Control Panels, Cpanel is the way forward, user friendly and easy to use

alex_e, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  10. euro-space

euro-space Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    euro-space, Jan 27, 2014 IP
  11. nerdipod

nerdipod Member

Best Answers:
    Do not go to the sites that say top 10 hosting or anything of the likes because those are affiliate sites and for them the best host will be the one that pays them the most for passing you on to them.

nerdipod, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  12. euro-space

Best Answers:
    However, again, forums like I mentioned above have some good rules and mostly genuine hosting providers can be found there.

euro-space, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  13. neodragon

neodragon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    neodragon, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  14. euro-space

Best Answers:
    Why not make own research and trust less to affiliated sites, moreover, above mentioned provider offers min. 12 months payment term and price $3.95 is valid only if you pay for 36 mo. in advance, that's different and should be mentioned, but not to trick the customer.

euro-space, Feb 13, 2014 IP