1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How I built a successful web hosting company with little money.

Discussion in 'General Business' started by WebsitePlex, Feb 9, 2014.

How I built a successful web hosting company with little money.

I would like to pay forward and share the steps I took on building a successful web hosting company with little money.

In 2008, I started with a reseller account. I was building websites for clients and also selling turnkey websites on eBay resulting in most of them asking that I host their websites paying me $5 - $10 a month. The core of my business was at that time, creating and selling websites and did not pay too much attention about the hosting business.

As time went on I realized I was earning more from hosting then with the creation of websites, it was then I realized that hosting was what I wanted to do. From there I registered with WHT and began posting and contributing what I knew in regards to web scripting. I started to get more clients and found the need to migrate the reseller account in to a dedicated server. I remember I thought in my mind that $300/month (the cost of the server) was so much money and was abit nervous. Needless to say growth continued and the server got filled up within several months which a few months before I was not even sure if it would get fully used.

Even today with many servers, tens of thousands of accounts, the primary source of new business are the forums and referrals. Ive experimented with paid advertising but I did not get much in return from it.

1. Forum post
    2. Be there for your client
    3. Keep servers stable.

Although it's tedious as you always have something to do, it's not rocket science. As time progresses growth will be organic.

WebsitePlex, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  2. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I just saw this on WHT :p

alex_e, Feb 9, 2014 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  3. WebsitePlex

WebsitePlex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good eye :) I wrote it on wht, then I thought to also share it on dp. I hope it helps someone whos getting in to the business.

WebsitePlex, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  4. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Forum posting is my fav way to get traffic and customers. Kudos to you!

Dionne Taylor, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  5. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Can I ask you some serious questions about how you manage that business?

Would you mind? For my own personal growth, that is it, I am not making a movie, website or book,

I just struggle with some things in business and would love some feedback,

sundaybrew, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  6. Roydlanco

Roydlanco Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Like as you said, "Be there for your clients" is the most important SEO trick that people ignore and that is the difference between you and the others. Kudos Man :)

Roydlanco, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  7. WebsitePlex

Best Answers:
    Sure, please tell me some of the challenges you are facing so I can give feedback on what I would so in a similar situation.

WebsitePlex, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I hope you will become the next hostgator or fatcow. I tried reseller's hosting providers in the past and it never worked well for me. The customer support always sucked. And no sufficient tech support was given.

You look like a different beast altogether. Great job!

qwikad.com, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  9. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I saw it on WHT, I wouldn't expect too many secrets to be shared but any further info would be nice, like how long it took for growth to get to certain levels, how much forum posting you did etc, customer retention :)

dedideals, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  10. WebsitePlex

Best Answers:
    Thank you. Don't give up on reselling hosting because of your provider. Did you know Brent Oxley, the founder of HostGator failed with his first hosting company? HostGator was his second try.

11. WebsitePlex

Best Answers:
    I have just over 1000 posts on wht over 6 years, one thing I did notice was after around 200 posts in the first year I stated being recognized, also organic traffic on my website were increasing. I have much fewer posts on dp, probably because I know the links are no follow.

One thing I do that helps with attrition is that I email clients that are no longer with us a promo to return to us. This brings many back to us. Its true that the more customers you have, the more you lose but your database also increases to invite them back.

dedideals likes this.
  12. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I will ask, one thing at a time to make it easy for me and everyone , so we can learn :)

How do you deal with all the emails in one day? Customer service, compliments , etc.

How many hours a day do you honestly work a day?

Do you have staff? If so, how many help full time.

Do you scream at your wife when things go wrong and if so, how have you worked that out? If you do not have a wife, skip this one.....LOL

What is your charge-back % and how do you deal with chargbacks and configure them into your yearly loss with your accountant?

Are you structured as an individual or a company?

Do you have all your severs on one host or multiple?

Do you use just one merchant services account or a few?

Has your money ever been frozen by a merchant services company and how did you deal with that?

Thanks in advance

Joseph

sundaybrew, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  13. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah the thing is, hosting is basically patience.

Blog post, forum post, create content good trailing keyword pages etc etc and keep working on your clients, as you have been around longer it grows and grows and grows, hosting is patience IMO, I have been around the industry a long time, and I can say this is what it is about, patience, which can suck if people have non! LOL

dedideals, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  14. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How do you deal with all the emails in one day? Customer service, compliments , etc. -----> We don't get many emails, lets say around 5-10. Most of them are all minor issues that take less then 5 minutes to resolve

How many hours a day do you honestly work a day? -----> All day if i can! The more you put in the more you put out. We don't pay for advertising or marketing. There isnt alot of ROI. So I like to spend as along as possible searching for leads and opportunities to attract new customers and improving the website/client panel

Do you have staff? If so, how many help full time. -----> No, but we're looking for some!

Do you scream at your wife when things go wrong and if so, how have you worked that out? If you do not have a wife, skip this one.....LOL -----> Keep your work at work, and your home at home ;)

What is your charge-back % and how do you deal with chargbacks and configure them into your yearly loss with your accountant? -----> 0%

Are you structured as an individual or a company? ------> at the moment, individual, but by mid 2014 we I hope to be company structured

Do you have all your severs on one host or multiple? -----> We have our servers in one datacentre

Do you use just one merchant services account or a few? -----> Only 2 for now

Has your money ever been frozen by a merchant services company and how did you deal with that? ------> Never

Thanks in advance -----> Youre welcome

Joseph, if youre looking to start out, try a reseller. Theyre cheap to run and will allow you to generate some profits so you can then upgrade to a VPS or Dedicated server when youre ready

alex_e, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  15. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

Thanks for all of those answers...... ;)

sundaybrew, Feb 10, 2014 IP
  16. WebsitePlex

Best Answers:

WebsitePlex, Feb 12, 2014 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  17. tbtoyl

tbtoyl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Business is business, but you need to consider your costs and your time that you put in your business. I made $277,000+ in net profits from my online business and I invest 5/6 hours per day. Your time is VERY IMPORTANT

tbtoyl, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  18. Adam James Jack

Adam James Jack Banned

Best Answers:
    It's great to hear of your progression. And i'm sure it will inspire more web hosts to be serious about the services they provide. Good read :)

Adam James Jack, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  19. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much :)

sundaybrew, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  20. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And that my friend is why there is such a constant movement in the hosting business. It is something quite cheap to start (thus many people entering) and it requires a lot and lot of patience. The thing with hosting is that you cannot expect quick bucks, most hosts operate on super cheap promo deals for starters and the real revenue is made after year 1-2, come renewal time. There is a reason why more experienced hosts refer to the younglings as "kiddie hosts" and its certainly not in spite - its just that the young blood crave more movement, more results, more excitements (I know I did in the beginning :) ). So failing to see those quick results makes them bail and jump ship. This in term leaves them out of the big game before it even started.

Understanding the concepts and having the patience to follow your path has another benefit - knowing you are not hurry is a great opportunity to focus on every minor detail, put more time into an appealing website filled with great and useful content, researching and testing various Marketing and SEO methodology etc. Its like a game in Training mode - this is the time to learn a thing or two, because once the real game starts, believe me, you will have much on your plate and you better be prepared ;)

Rado_ch, Feb 12, 2014 IP
    Nusaint and dedideals like this.