1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

This site has changed a lot!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Hama, Jan 31, 2014.

?

This community is better now

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
    Hi everyone,

I have been on this site for almost 6 years now. I remember when I first joined this site the forum was really active and there were always plenty of active users online.

I visited this site again yesterday and I noticed that a lot has changed. I noticed that you now have to have 3 ''Likes'' from established members to start new threads in certain areas of the forum or else you will have to purchase a ''Premium package'' which costs $25 a month! (capitalize much?)

I also noticed that the site now uses a different forum software, this is probably the only change that I like. The forums loads much faster now and it looks somewhat better.

Overall I am wondering what has caused this site to be less active, and do you guys agree with the things that I am saying above?

Hama, Jan 31, 2014 IP
    AON21 and seotraining like this.
  2. dayvo

dayvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I cant comment on every area of the site - but the areas I use most do seem to be a little quieter than many years ago, but I think that's because a lot of the spamy and scamming posts have died down due to the 3 likes system.

dayvo, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I do agree that it is less active than when I first joined up. But less spammers and crap posts make it a better site overall in my view.
    So quantity less, quality more. I guess the benefits are subjective.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  4. Densely

Densely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also agree with OP that this forum has changed a lot (Though I am not a seasoned member here), but I have seen both previous VB based and current XF based boards. Current XF based system is more efficient. and BTW: I disagree with @dayvo that this new system has reduced scammers. Last month (December) I got scammed by 3 people (~$250). I was never been scammed before in DP.

Densely, Jan 31, 2014 IP
    AON21 likes this.
  5. dayvo

dayvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't say it reduced scammers, I said it reduced scamming posts. I.e user has 1 post but is selling the Eiffel Tower.

Scammed 3 times in a month tho dude, ouch :( are you unlucky or naive?

dayvo, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  6. Densely

Densely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have made more than 100 transaction via DP (or with people I met on DP). And this is the very first time I got scammed. and I was a bit unlucky that this happened 3 times within a span of one month.

Densely, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  7. dayvo

dayvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hopefully it was just a bad month.

Sad reality is where ever there is money or assets of value there will always be people trying to gain from others.

dayvo, Jan 31, 2014 IP
    Densely likes this.
  8. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:

I tend to agree here but I have to say that the work load I used to have is all sorts of diminished. And by work I mean real work, like someone with an actual budget to get something done. I still get most of my work by telling folks they are entirely wrong about SEO and marketing but there is literally nothing to bid on and the services section is populated entirely with complete bullshit.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  9. Hama

Hama Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also don't understand why I have to have 3 likes before I can like other people's posts. Why shouldn't people with less likes be able to like other people's posts?

Hama, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  10. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because people cant be trusted to do the right thing. You can find folks on BHW for instance selling likes. If you cant make 3 useful posts then we don't want you here in the first place.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jan 31, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk and sarahk like this.
  11. Hama

Hama Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lol I think you take this site way too serious if you really think that ''likes'' represent the quality of your posts. I just find it silly that only people with 3 or more likes can like other people's posts.

Hama, Jan 31, 2014 IP
    AON21 likes this.
  12. dayvo

dayvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think by quality he means the posts made consist of more than 'that's great' or 'lol' or 'I like cheese'.

dayvo, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  13. AON21

AON21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Hama! You've started a topic that's close to me this morning. I hope my in-depth description isn't too much - I'll remove it if you feel it takes over your thread - just ask and I'll delete it.

For me, there have been three factors in why I used to be here regularly and why I'm actively looking for an alternative to DP (which is very sad as I've spent a lot of time here)

It's worth mentioning that I came to DP after SitePoint began to become a clumsy behemoth only focusing on selling its own products and too many rules-lawyers who were more intent on being seen to know the rules over actually promoting the spirit of communication and cooperation.

Note: I'm very much in favour of censoring inappropriate behaviour - I ran at least 10 forums prior to coming to DP where I made sure moderators carefully looked at making sure flame wars were quashed early while making sure they didn't take away from the openness of online forum communication and sharing of ideas.

Why am I not active?
    #1 The first reason that comes to mind is that I'm scared to post because of the Rules-Lawyerish warning regulations.
    No! I'm not sitting there sweating over how to word a reply :D
    It's because not being able to publicly remind a thread starter that they haven't answered PMs is considered at the same level of "inappropriate post" as abusing or flaming someone (which is reprehensible and wastes so much of everyone's time)
    This has been one of the reasons I've only replied to an existing thread to help someone or offer thoughts on the topic (such as suggestions with their website to help out) instead of being a truly active member.

It makes the forums almost superfluous as a means of speedy, interactive and mutually beneficial means of communicating.

#2 The Marketplace craziness / leaning towards paid membership
    I completely understand that every website must earn its keep.... but the flip-flop in the market place meant instead of being my first place to look for services or digital goods, DP is now the last.

I'm sure someone will know when this happened - a while back there was a complete flip-flop on the buyer/seller ratings. I had worked diligently to be both a good buyer and seller; practicing patience and being careful to see any problems that arose from the other party's point of view to avoid disputes and being what I had always felt was in the spirit of the DP community.
    Then they scrapped the buyer/seller rating system and it came back later (or is it just sitting there doing nothing?)
    They made the marketplace for paid members and then that partially changed so that only 'recognised members' could post as well (this last thing, by the way, is better because it means you know a marketplace posting is by someone with experience on the forum or has put their money where their mouth is).

The marketplace confusion lead me away from DP for at least a year

#3 Scammers
    With all the rules, you would think DP would be a safe place to do business... But no, despite the rules, DP has, in my first-hand experience, become rife with scammers.

In the last year, of all the scams I have either helped someone else with (80-90% of them are in this category) to get their money back or where I have been taken for cash myself? Every single one has originated here. 100% :eek:

I'm not talking about shady purchases or shonky products or a service provider showing their lack of ability (over promise-under deliver) or otherwise not living up to their end of the deal - being aware of these is par-for-the-course in Internet dealings.

No. I mean out-and-out scams where the perpetrator takes the money - strings it along until the Paypal grace period is up and then disappears..., most of whom were established members or paid members.

Reading the rules a while back - the only time DP will get involved? If I was a paid member...

When you think on the fact that I use this site the least of all for business networking, that speaks volumes for the frequency, tenacity and skill of scammers on here. I've avoided many and they are banned members now but policing here is out of balance with the results I've seen.

Bottom line - I'm ready to join or help create an alternative to DP that has a range of memberships that cater for all budgets instead of a one-size-fits-all paid/non-paid.

AON21, Feb 2, 2014 IP
    Hama likes this.
  14. Eminemballer

Eminemballer Member

Best Answers:
    I do have to agree... the forum itself has moved towards paid membership and limitations...

Eminemballer, Feb 2, 2014 IP
    AON21 likes this.
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Memory can be deceptive. The changes were made over a year ago yet you've only just discovered them, it could be that 6 years ago it felt busy because it was new and interesting. 6 years on the subjects that once made you read everything on a board are now well known to you and you skip over many threads that are covering old ground.

If they're not answering messages then posting in the thread is considered "feedback" and a headsup to other members that the OP may be unreliable. You do, however, need to make it clear that there is a "problem". Just saying "read my pm" doesn't let anyone know what is really going on. I'd be happy to review those warnings or any future warnings.

All the rules have evolved out of necessity. I don't think any of the mods live remotely close to each other so it's not like we sit down for a beer together and plot new ways to piss people off. We respond to problems and try to find ways to help. A while back I linked to a thread from the bad old days - it was full of "pm me" requests and you couldn't find the feedback from happy or mad users unless you waded through 10+ pages of junk. It's unfortunate that you are put off posting and was never our intention.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    sarahk, Feb 2, 2014 IP
    Hama, ryan_uk and averyz like this.
  16. AON21

AON21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for taking the time to chime in :)

I think the rating equality of a warning for a true problem-posting and 'fluff' - combined with a dead link when clicking on a link in a warning email creates a sensation of "You violated terms and were not telling you why" - this could be a software issue but as it's been brought up in the feedback section and hasn't been addressed it gives weight to the feeling that we are just numbers and the process is arbitrary. Looking at those posts was another reason I didn't bother to add my concerns (ironically I didn't want to add fluff or 'me-too' posts :D ) as the replies to those I read, while polite, didn't give much hope that they were taken very seriously.

I didn't see any indication that anyone assumed you were thinking up "...ways to piss people off" least of all me. I simply gave my reasons for not being active here anymore and why I'm looking for a productive alternative.

Nostalgia will bring me back, I'm sure, but most of what I do will be in PMs where I can politely discuss things without worrying about the weight of my reply being cause for a warning. Admittedly most PMs are now simply requests to take the discussion away from DP, but I do hope a middle ground in moderation will see me and others I've spoken to being more active again.

AON21, Feb 2, 2014 IP
  17. Catzy

Catzy Member

Best Answers:
    Hey the way I look at it...I much rather they beef things up to keep out the TOLLERS etc..bc some people don't stop trying. I'm sure the new features will not stop them either, but at least it helps "newbies" like me feel as if they are doing as much as they can to keep things safe! Everything has its positives and negatives...the way I look at it..this is a great place to get FREE and INTERESTING feedback....Darn it, Facebook ain't got nothing over DP! One luv

Catzy, Feb 9, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  18. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I think it is better now.

6 years ago there was a lot more spam "pm me" "great post" "I agree". Many times it was to the point of every thread I opened was just SPAM or people auto posting to rack up post count, after 10 mins of looking through garbage I would leave and not look at DP for months. Many times it still reminds me of a 3rd world trash dump just never ending garbage posts and some scavengers and vultures running around trying to hustle crumbs of trash they think are worth something.

I like to read educated posts, have discussions and exchange knowledge about the internet and marketing, I get sick of scanning through threads upon threads of worthless trash. If some polices and rules will thin some of the spam out then I am all for it.

I have been kicked off a good number of forums and I do not find this one that repressive all (besides one abusive moderator who is gone now) the people I have seen get banned were blatantly spamming.

averyz, Feb 9, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk and malky66 like this.
  19. Sugavanas

Sugavanas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it doesn't only means liking other posts. It also means users will be able to sell on marketplace, users can have signatures, and can be known as established member. This one can't be bought by premium member. Most ppl trust established member more than premium members

Sugavanas, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  20. master412160

master412160 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think DP has evolved in a good way. It has altered its mechanics to combat the problematic issues and has resolved most of those issues by the new stricter policies and features.

DP isn't perfect but it has certainly become better for all of use.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    master412160, Feb 9, 2014 IP