1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

likes needed before buy and sell

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by sarhad12, Feb 2, 2014.

this is one thing i dont like about DP prior to these changes came into effect DP was better and easy going community. I been with Dp for over 6 years now i fell i'm back to stage one. Why do we need likes just sell things this is something admin needs to change and bring the good old dp back into effect.

sarhad12, Feb 2, 2014 IP
    dedideals likes this.
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I truly do understand your concerns and frustration. But having said that you are by no means the only one who has created a thread like this saying basically the same thing.
    Look it's like this, your thread isn't going to change the status quo right? You may as well accept and get with the program. It's about making things a bit more difficult for spammers to post on B/S/T and other forums. Getting 3 likes isn't that hard, many members get them all in one day and become established.
    Give it a shot and see what happens, just post advice or simply comment. Good luck to you with this.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 2, 2014 IP
  3. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    You can get premium if you need to advertise, I agree but it is down to spam, and people using it to just abuse so they had to do something to stop it, forums are always getting spammed and DP rarely does because of the rules

dedideals, Feb 2, 2014 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not that it really matters I suppose, but 2011 (when you joined) was not 6 years ago. :)

digitalpoint, Feb 2, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  5. kingofking

kingofking Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Might be he has another account which was created 6 years ago :p

kingofking, Feb 2, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  6. whitetrader

whitetrader Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This change is quite good in my opinion, may have a positive impact against spammers

whitetrader, Feb 2, 2014 IP
  7. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's really a shame that spamming and scamming got so out of hand that it highjacked the forum, which is pretty much what happens when a community is forced to change rules that put restrictions on everyone in order to keep a smaller number of people in check. The worst part is that there are probably still dodgy people posting in those sections.

Still, I somewhat agree with the OP, only maybe from a different side. I'm interested in buying, not selling. How does preventing me from being able to buy keep the forum safe from spammers?

Foxxy, Feb 2, 2014 IP
  8. sabin

sabin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with Foxxy on that. I've been a digitalpoint member for a very long time, I've already bought coding help thanks to digitalpoint in the past, always with satisfaction...

And when I come back with an urgent need, BAM, seems like I can't, because I come to digitalpoint to speak business instead of dropping jokes and smiles everywhere.

How about this slight modification, that it would be possible to BUY services, at least, without getting tons of reputation ? :)

sabin, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... just check the "Selling" threads people have posted. There is nothing preventing you from buying services people offer.

digitalpoint, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  10. sabin

sabin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I must have misunderstood you, somehow. If I want to post that I'm buying the services of a coder for a project, and explain everything, I still can't :confused:
    Otherwise, are you encouraging thread hijacking ? That is... evil :confused:

EDIT :
    (rather than delete the BS I wrote and pretend I never wrote it, I prefer to add additional lines)

Sorry, I just understood the idea. The coders with their thread in which they announce they're accepting coding commissions.
    My bad, my neurones refused to connect properly half an hour ago -_-

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    sabin, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Right... you can buy services from people who have posted threads offering their services, but you can't post your own sale threads.

The Buy/Sell/Trade area was always strictly a benefit for good/contributing users, the only thing that has changed is that we have a better way of measuring that. Before it was measured based on how many posts you made and how long you were a member. Now it's based on quality instead of quantity... and in fact new members can post in the Buy/Sell/Trade area much quicker than before (before they had a 14 day waiting period regardless of their "quality", now it's a 48 hour waiting period).

12. sabin

sabin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't edit my post fast enough, seems you didn't see the last part I wrote :D

sabin, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  13. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's good to know. I had misunderstood the rule and thought I couldn't participate at all. It would be cool if I could post a "want to buy" ad for something specific, but it's nice to know that I don't have to miss an opportunity if I see someone selling something I'm interested in.

Foxxy, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Sadly want to buy is just as dangerous with people requesting samples, domain pushes before sales and much more. There are risks on both sides of the deal.

sarahk, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Personally, I'd be fine seeing the "Buying" threads go away for everyone. I mean other marketplaces don't even have such a thing (can you go to eBay and post a "Buying" auction?). And all it does is cause problems really... because there's no way to do some of the things we do on the Selling threads to protect buyers (for example we can't verify the seller owns the domain unless they post it for sale in a "Selling" thread). In the end, the people getting scammed tend to be the people posting Buying threads and not protecting themselves (since we can't do it for them).

ryan_uk likes this.
  16. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's kind of sad, but also a compliment to the popularity of the site, in a backwards sort of way. In other news, some wife of an ex-leader of an unheard of African nation wants to send me $100 Million to start a business for them. My luck has finally changed! :D

Foxxy, Feb 4, 2014 IP