1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free info is NOT enough. Make it exciting!

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Sean DeSilva, Jan 26, 2014.

Think back to time where you were bored out of your mind every time you want to THAT certain class.

You know the one I'm talking about –that stereotypical math class you dreaded. It went something like this:

• You went in.
    • The teacher issued a statement of the day's topics.
    • Methodically went through it with machinelike efficiency,
    • Opened the floor to questions.
    • Then you were off on your way reciting the information ad nauseum through test problems and examples.

That cold efficiency of the math class is not unlike programming a computer. Being the nonliving, inanimate objects they are, computers are just fine with that type of exchange. You and I, not so much.

Now think about that awesome teacher whose class you're always looking forward to.

Maybe it was an art teacher or science wizard – for me it was my freshman English composition teacher. As a part-time comedian you can imagine the riots that went on in that class, he was absolutely hilarious.

…but even more importantly, he used his skill at making people laugh and enjoy themselves to enhance, not detract from the message he was trying to convey. How'd he do it?

• Here's an example: You know the cute sounding, clever slayings we use nowadays? He put them under the microscope & tore them apart. Showed us why we have the tendencies to speak colloquialisms the way we do.
    • Sometimes he'd give us a quick history lesson that opened our eyes to the origin of meanings in terms. The inherent curiosity we all have about where things come from was captured and satisfied in these little lessons.
    • Proper grammar usage by itself was a dry and boring subject. When tied into the subject of class structure and how grammar was and still is used as a way to infer class & upbringing…suddenly rigid grammar lessons become a lot more interesting!

Our teacher was a master at going off tangent and yet staying on topic somehow. The wry smile on his face before he launched into a personal story prepared us for the treat we were in for.

And that's the whole point!

- NOT to get through each point as efficiently as possible,

- But instead, to embrace the power of tangents and seemingly off-topic stories to draw interest and captivate us to want to learn… before you teach.

- To break away from the cold efficiency of the computerlike information exchange, and to get back to teaching through fun, adventure, stories around the campfire.

That's how you make it interesting without losing the value.

Now go forth and make it happen, fellow entrepreneur! :)

Sean DeSilva, Jan 26, 2014 IP
    pitdark16 likes this.
  2. DungeonMaster

DungeonMaster Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent advice! I think what people, especially educators (and I don't just mean the classroom kind) forget is that humans have a basic need for entertainment. If it isn't interesting or entertaining, it goes in one ear and out the other.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    DungeonMaster, Jan 29, 2014 IP
  3. Stuart Walker

Stuart Walker Member

Best Answers:
    Great post. Telling stories and sharing your life is a brilliant way to not only make your content interesting and exciting but to build a relationship with them.

Stuart Walker, Jan 29, 2014 IP
  4. DatingExpert

DatingExpert Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very good advice.
    It is always necessary to provide good and quality info when providing free information or Ebooks as it is important to influence your readers.

DatingExpert, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  5. maxauthority

maxauthority Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great point. Marketers NEGLECT the power of stories. People based on trust. And one of the most EFFICIENT way of gaining trust is crafting the RIGHT STORY. Bullet points can only take you so far. You have to hit your target customers where they live-at the emotional level.

maxauthority, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  6. rully adi saputra

rully adi saputra Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    great full.. many thanks for your advice

rully adi saputra, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  7. content4cool

content4cool Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. I wonder where along the way it became like that.

FACT:
    Children are fastest learners on planet.
    FACT:
    Mother nature learning engine is PLAY.

Look out in the wild. All animals are playing in order to survive in nature.
    Through play they learn how to survive in nature.

Same goes for human. School is completely linear (Left Brain) in it's education way. Boring.
    But we think and remember more with Right Brain (Actually using both sides)
    Using visualization, association, to be outstanding, humorous, colorful, all 5 senses...
    How many teachers are using this approach? Not many.

The future belongs to those who will learn how to learn and make learning as funny as possible.

content4cool, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  8. Ethics

Ethics Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that while any pitch should be exciting, but I always keep the old adage that brevity is the soul of wit; so if something I am speaking or writing about starts running too long because I am trying to draw the audience in, I will take a step back, evaluate the situation, and act accordingly.

Ethics, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  9. FWH1

FWH1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree about the math class analogy. I get tired of reading technical papers and manuals, it's like they aren't written for human beings, or are written in a manner only the author would benefit from.

FWH1, Feb 7, 2014 IP