1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do newbie marketers fail?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by MarketerRon, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How effective is the webinar as compared to a live seminar in your opinion

Ethan Alvin, Jan 26, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon likes this.
  2. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    A weekly live webinar is very effective and that's what my mentor provides. He ends it with a Q and A session so he knows where we're all up to.
    A live seminar, according to my mentor, is usually for more advanced marketers, hence the big price tag.

MarketerRon, Jan 27, 2014 IP
    Ethan Alvin likes this.
  3. DungeonMaster

DungeonMaster Member

Best Answers:
    There are lots of reasons, and they almost always lie at the fault of the 97%. I don't mean that in a mean way, but as someone who nearly failed myself, I could only blame myself. You only fail when you quit, and I went through that period and decided to hop back on the horse.

For anyone out there afraid that they'll slip into that 97%, I have some advice. I'm not a guru or anything, but this is what works for me.

Problem: Low start-up money. Starting an online business is a lot cheaper than starting a physical one, but it's still very hard to get going on a shoe-string budget. I grew up in poverty, and as an adult, I was well on my way to following in my parents' footsteps, so I completely understand the whole "I can't afford anything!" mentality.

Solution: Sell services. If there's something you're good at, sell it. Find a forum (like this one, or the billions of others out there) and create an offer. If you're like me, you feel intimidated, but you have to take action anyway. I've never offered services on DP before, so I'm not sure what the climate is like, but when you need start-up money, it's best to start by helping others first.

Problem: Information overload! We all feel this way about tons of stuff, not just IM. For example, I hang out a lot in the polyglot community (a polyglot being someone who speaks multiple languages), and every time I take it upon myself to start a new language, I know I'm going to eventually hit that intermediate level where I think to myself, "The grammar is so confusing! There's so many words I still don't know!"

Solution: Take it one step at a time. It's horrible cliche now, but they say that focusing on the destination isn't nearly as important as the journey. Take things one step at a time. Read a lot, ask a lot of questions, and don't worry if you don't start your business knowing everything there is to know.

Problem: Shiny object syndrome/impatience. Another one I completely understand, and I blame 'gurus' a lot for this one. Unfortunately, a lot of people see IM as being basically another gold rush. Gurus push IM to newbies as being a way to get rich overnight. This gets people looking for push-button success, which in turn leads to disappointment and wasted money. Been there, done that, finally woke up.

Solution: Develop a strategy. Take the time to get educated about this unconventional career first. There's a lot of really good information out there for free, and plenty of people willing to help you out. There's also some good (information) products out there as well, but don't start buying them right away, and never buy from anyone who seems to be hyping things up.

I'm sure there's more, but I just got over the flu, and I don't think my brain is ready for that kind of brainstorming yet.

DungeonMaster, Jan 29, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon and dayvo like this.
  4. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    I think you've covered everything there, DungeonMaster. Just shows what a minefield it is for newbies out there.

MarketerRon, Jan 29, 2014 IP
  5. bf76

bf76 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    DungeonMaster, brilliant post. Everything you said, i have and do go through. Its like you opened my brain and identified every problem. Seriously if newbies read this posts before beginning their IM journey, they will save so much time and money and not go through all the frustrating moments.

bf76, Jan 29, 2014 IP
    MarketerRon likes this.