1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can you be a 1 person hosting company?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by nnyorker, Jan 29, 2014.

do you think it is possible to make money and run a hosting company as a one person show?

nnyorker, Jan 29, 2014 IP
  2. dayvo

dayvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely - as long as you only host for a handful of clients and by money you mean peanuts.

Hosting is so cheap these days so you would need hundreds of clients per server to think of making profits - and then to support all of those clients single handed would eat up your time and mental state.

dayvo, Jan 29, 2014 IP
    YJunK and qwikad.com like this.
  3. wvccboy

wvccboy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's definitely possible if you have a steady pool of customers that you can handle. In essence, it's important to make sure your management tools, ISPs, software, and hardware will make it easy enough for you to manage the business. Of course, if your plan is to grow the company, I'm sure you will know when is time to find additional assistance!

wvccboy, Jan 29, 2014 IP
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I maintained about 2000 web sites hosting before needing to hire, and that was 10 years ago. Now, with easy controlpanels, outsourcing support, things are far more flexible and to be a 1 person company for web hosting or other biz is a breeze nowadays.

wisdomtool, Jan 29, 2014 IP
  5. gambler53

gambler53 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's not that hard to run a hosting company yourself. However, if you don't want all that work, you could just sell for a third-party compay instead.

gambler53, Jan 29, 2014 IP
  6. faizzsheikh

faizzsheikh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is easily possible.. hosting companies provide reseller accounts for the same purpose. With a reseller account you can provide hosting services of your own.

Good luck!!!

faizzsheikh, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  7. XiNiX

XiNiX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As far as the possibility is concerned YES. But I must admit, when it comes to Support , Reliability & Marketing you need a Team.
    One may get a Cheap WHM Reseller and launch a Hosting Company, But Once your business grows, clients need you 24x7. Certainly You can manage ( it may translate to delayed responses , issue addressing etc. ) but it will not a recommended path.

Now, When i Say "Team", i don't mean to say.. that you actually get "Real" people in your business. For Example , you can get a "Managed Server" and your host shall keep care of all the server related issues . updating OS , Security etc.. which would enable you to focus on the Business. Even an Individual tech guy or.. may be a Plan from a company ( as low as $20 /mo ). Yo handle support You can even Hire an Outsourced Support Team ( Per Ticket Cost is Very low ).

So My Advice : Setup your things ... your site .. Billing Portal etc. Advertize.. once you have some decent $xx invest and expand. The Key rule is "Serve Others the way you want Others to serve you"

XiNiX, Jan 30, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  8. WebDeveloperSahil

WebDeveloperSahil Active Member

Best Answers:
    Easy man, start alone and you'll hire staff automatically once you got the bulk of customers

WebDeveloperSahil, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  9. DatingExpert

DatingExpert Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hosting is easy but needs lots of work as communication and handling queries etc . If you dont want this to happen, then you can go for reseller option.

DatingExpert, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  10. IsayHey

IsayHey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see why not, if you have the ambition to pull it off then go for it! If you market it well and it grows, then you could end up deciding to expand and hire some employee's. This sort of site could have so much potential if done well so I hope you do well and succeed! Remember to give your users a reason why they should come to you and not the more well known hosting sites such as hostgator etc.

Good luck.

IsayHey, Jan 30, 2014 IP
  11. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I don't see why not but if you keep growing to the point where you can't do it all hire employees

Dionne Taylor, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  12. Adam James Jack

Adam James Jack Banned

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Anyone can start a Web Hosting Company. But more than anything it takes time, dedication & money to make it work. Anyone who heads into web hosting expecting to be a millionaire with no investment or work are deluded.

The fact is, if you have no knowledge in Web Hosting, then you are going to need to learn a lot. Customers should expect highly knowledgable support staff - you need to ensure that questions that are asked by a customer be him a web hosting master or a newbie, your answers must be factual, correct, swift & polite.

Customers will test you, with good reason - Web Hosting has become a scammers haven.

Sure it's easy to run a Web Hosting Business on your own, i do it. And for this very reason the above is what i have learned, and that is just scratching the surface. With Reseller Hosting you may get away with having limited knowledge, but not having root access to your box limits your capabilities in terms of fixing issues etc

With your own box you'll have many more options, and be able to offer your customers more services however the 2 cons are:

-Costs
    -Knowledge

If you have neither, it's best to start with a good reseller hosting provider who can support you and keep your site online and safe!

In my experience, stay away from unknown resellers using unknown hosting providers - they generally cause more problems. Use tried and tested web hosts that offer a good quality service otherwise your putting your reputation & customers on the line.

I hope this helped in some way.

Adam James Jack, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  13. hitrix

hitrix Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your advice!
    i m working now with a team in www.extraheberg.com
    and my experience start to grow everyday! i will share some new informations soon!

hitrix, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  14. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can run a small web hosting firm. Many web developer / designer provide hosting also to their clients.
    But you should have basic knowledge of web hosting related stuff to better server your clients.

The best way to start is: Reseller hosting + End user support from parent hosting provider.

aap, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  15. Deepak patel

Deepak patel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Off Course you can But have to give full dedication you can't do it as a part time.
    Go and signup for Best Reseller Programme for hosting..

Deepak patel, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  16. AlexBrooks

AlexBrooks Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly it depends on how large the web hosting company is going to be, also how you have it set up.

It's possible to nearly automate the whole web hosting website, from the billing, to registration.
    If you were to be a "1 man army" behind a company, you'd have to offer support yourself, that what would take up the most time.
    You could quite easily outsource the support if things started picking up.

If you were running a web design business and were offering web hosting to your clients, then you could run a web hosting business quite easily along side the web design business, you wouldn't even have to worry about having a web hosting website because you'd be generating clients through web design leads.

Like i say, it all depends how large you want the company to be and how you run it.
    I've got friends who manage small web hosting companies, they make a nice profit from it and most of them do all of the work themselves

AlexBrooks, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  17. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed, BUT, when it grows you will need staff no matter what, once demand it higher, support will increase and if you don't hire, it will be too much.

dedideals, Feb 9, 2014 IP