1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Teens actually leaving Facebook?

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by emil_vlkv, Jan 19, 2014.

From mashable.com:
    "Word on the street is that teens are leaving Facebook in hoards and instead flocking to apps likeSnapchat and Instagram.

A report from digital agency iStrategyLabs breaks down just how many teens have abandoned the monster social network since 2011. According to its findings released Wednesday, which the agency claims were drawn from Facebook's Social Advertising platform, 25% fewer U.S. teens use Facebook now than in 2011. That results to a net loss of more than 3 million users. However, Facebook could not confirm these numbers, so take the data with a grain of salt."

Pretty interesting... Maybe it's time for a new Social Network to step up?

emil_vlkv, Jan 19, 2014 IP
  2. Webcenter

Webcenter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know how true is this, but here in my country all people use Facebook more than any other social network.

Webcenter, Jan 19, 2014 IP
  3. emil_vlkv

emil_vlkv Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure how true this is too. Usually i trust Mashable for stuff like this.

emil_vlkv, Jan 19, 2014 IP
  4. Bearmar

Bearmar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can see where the teens are leaving but they have been replaced by their parents! The teens and college age kids may have started it but the adults have taken over.

Bearmar, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  5. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mashable is indeed a reputable source, but I believe the data is taken out of context. First of all we are talking only about teens and specifically in US - so what are the demographic movements from 2011? There might be an overall decrease of "new teens" (aged 10-11 in 2011) or even a bigger decrease of "no-longer-teens", leaving this demographic group. Next - how are the stats compiled, when SnapChat and Instagram are not comparable platforms? Many people are using all of them at the same time (there are even far too many Instagram-ers on Facebook IMHO ;)), how does this correlate with the numbers.

All in all, I think those are just speculations and don't reflect the actual state of this social platform. And even if there is a decline, 3million only from US teens kinda seem far too many. I would more likely believe such statistics to be valid for Skype as its directly comparable apps like SnapChat and other mobile chat apps are ruling the mobile niche, while Skype doesn't seem to care so much to evolve there.

Rado_ch, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  6. amido

amido Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure about that I was get a report from few days it is said the teen who is 9 :22 age old is have a lot of visiting for facebook

amido, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  7. Solar Oblivion

Solar Oblivion Member

Best Answers:
    Teens will still have Facebook accounts, it just means that other apps like Snapchat & Instagram will be used more.

Solar Oblivion, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's certainly a noticeable trend - my 16yo barely uses it - vines, snapchat and instagram. Tumblr seems less popular than it was. She's started using twitter a bit more and doesn't get pinterest (which surprises me given how teens use tumblr). Looking at my own feed there are still plenty of my "friends" who are teens still posting but it does seem to relate to specific activities like races and events that are promoted on facebook.

sarahk, Jan 27, 2014 IP
  9. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Normal social development.

The teens invaded Facebook because it was cool and "their" place. Then it became popular and their parents all joined. And the spammers, marketers and other asshats. Thus it becomes uncool and no longer their special place. So they leave and search for somewhere else to call their own. Then that one will become popular, get invaded by adults, spammers, marketers and other undesirables and the cycle will repeat.

Maybe the next one will be MySpace. :D

TIEro, Jan 27, 2014 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  10. WildBits

WildBits Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Certainly seems to be true but, from a marketing point of view, I don't think it matters. Facebook is big enough and diverse enough that the loss of "cool" status won't cause it to crash and burn. The teens may go elsewhere, at least for a while, but they're not the ones spending the money (depends on your niche of course, but generally true). So unless teens are your target audience, don't worry about it and don't go chasing after them!

WildBits, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Not so, apparently teenage girls have more influence on their mother's spending than ever before. So if you want to market to 40 year old women you should target their daughters - not the women themselves.

sarahk, Jan 28, 2014 IP
    SpyShifu and ryan_uk like this.
  12. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My teenage daughter says "facebook is stupid now" and uses it almost never now.

Remember Myspace ?

averyz, Jan 28, 2014 IP
    SpyShifu and sarahk like this.
  13. WildBits

WildBits Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    LOL Whatspace?

Yeah, I remember. So maybe teens and their mothers then! But I still say there's plenty of us stupid oldies, marketers and other assorted asshats to go after on Facebook and will be for a few years yet ;)

WildBits, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  14. gambler53

gambler53 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Teenagers probably got bored with it and wanted to find a place where their parents aren't on their friends' lists. LOL Okay if teens in this forum read this, I apologize. Teens are recognized as "millienials," which means they were born in the 80s and 90s. As far as promotions are concerned, they prefer you don't hide the fact that you want to sell them something. Just be direct. Aside from that, it makes sense that teens would want to "Snapchat." It's the latest thing.

gambler53, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  15. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen snap chat becoming much more used, but instead of facebook? I couldnt imagine it

dedideals, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  16. SpyShifu

SpyShifu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook just has to buy the companies the teens are using now and they are back! And in most cases the users don't know that!

And about for 25% teenager! May be many are fake account which daily IM making for spamming, advertise claims, etc are include ( these number of percentage are noticeable ).

SpyShifu, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  17. spyrit

spyrit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "Facebook could not confirm these numbers, so take the data with a grain of salt."
    haha....i doubt they will ever do that, how can you publicly say, yeah it's true, people are leaving us...thanks for having you, bye bye :)

spyrit, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  18. Hamza Huzaifa

Hamza Huzaifa Member

Best Answers:
    25 percent of the US teens use facebook, but still there are other countries where teenagers have nothing better to do other than facebook. So this is probably only applied to a few countries that their teenagers might not be using facebook because of some factors like older citizens using facebook as well, or maybe because there is instagram where they always like to take photos of themselves and post it on the internet.

Hamza Huzaifa, Mar 18, 2014 IP