1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Guest Posting is Dead - Or is it? My Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by mikeid22, Jan 28, 2014.

So Matt Cutts recently posted about the end of guest posting - OR DID HE?

Not really, what Matt posted about was the end of low quality guest posting for link (or depending on how you interpret some of his comments, guest posting for links no matter what the quality of the post is).

Guest posting always has been (or SHOULD always have been) about more than 'link building' though!

Writing a extremely high quality blog post about a topic, for a really well known industry blog that has a strong community behind it carries much more weight than just a single link. Guest posting in this way can be used to expand your reach and connect with that blog's community, which can result in greater authority in your industry and also can actually lead to other organic links & social shares. You can also boost your authorship stats if the blogger is okay with you claiming authorship of your content (they should be!).

I wrote a post with more of my thoughts recently that goes into much more detail (this is the post).

I'm still going to be guest posting, however as I say, my main goal isn't links ;)

What is your own response to Matt Cutt's recent comments about guest posting? Are you still actively guest posting and if so, has it changed how you approach the tactic?

mikeid22, Jan 28, 2014 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree completely but its fun to watch folks get their panties in a bunch. I recalled a good thread from years ago about how to find useful blogs in vertical or complimentary markets.... and be human and awesome about it.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...inking-my-first-large-domain-project.1835616/

Its a pretty good read. I miss Canonical. That guy is a stud.

Good post Mike. I am still trying to get to the pdf but I am liking what I see so far and the email I got this morning is looking pretty nice as well. Nothing even remotely spammy about it. Good luck with that stuff.

Its both new and comforting to read things that are accurate let alone well though out around here.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  3. msocialh

msocialh Member

Best Answers:
    Guest posting is not died, only the Spam guest post articles and low quality nonrelative links will make you a trouble now. However high quality guest posts on relative blog will remain a great technique to get a back link and increase your exposure. Don't expect Google to find a guest post on internet marketing blog that includes a link to a car washing website and remain silent! it's obvious that it's spam and low quality even if it's not a guest post!

msocialh, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  4. mikeid22

mikeid22 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Nigel,

Thanks for the reply! Glad you liked the post and the email :) I tried to avoid an 'over the top' template, and just went for something simple and to the point :D

Are you having issues with the pdf then? What seems to be the problem with it? - I've had someone else say they couldn't download it either, so would be cool to know at what stage the problem is (problem downloading, or does it download but it's corrupted?)

PM me what email you want it sent to and I'll ping it over manually for you in the morning (late here in the UK) :)

Thanks again Nigel, your comments are really appreciated!

Mike.

mikeid22, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  5. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh no sorry. I simply have not had time to read it. I downloaded it just fine. All is in order here.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  6. mikeid22

mikeid22 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ah cool! That's okay then :) I had one guy say he was having an issue with the file, just worried you were too then!

All good :) I'd grab a coffee before you read :p I mean't it to be about 4000 words but it came out at 7000+ lol. I didn't feel any of it should be trimmed though, so it is what it is :D

mikeid22, Jan 29, 2014 IP
  7. johnfambrini

johnfambrini Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There was also a great post by Ann Smarty on this issue. Good quality blog posts still work. Many very experienced and respectable SEOs are still using them and getting great results on their sites so for now it still works.

johnfambrini, Feb 2, 2014 IP
  8. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It hasn't been as effective for me as it was before. However, it is still an ok method to build backlinks, but there are certainly better ways now.

ash1ey82, Feb 2, 2014 IP
  9. Dilip Rajpurohit

Dilip Rajpurohit Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I think guest posting is not die but so so sooo tough task for SEO Workers...

Dilip Rajpurohit, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  10. DiggitySEO

DiggitySEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not dead yet. We'll know when we hear the people, that rely on guest posting as their #1 backlink source, come to the forum sounding like the great depression has returned. The penalty or linkloss (whatever Google decides to do with it) hasn't been dished out yet. But its coming.

DiggitySEO, Feb 6, 2014 IP