1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hummingbird

Discussion in 'Google' started by Ade Vitan, Jan 17, 2014.

Hey guys,
    Everyone's making a big fuss over Hummingbird, but I was wondering, is it restricted to certain parts of the world, say the US/Canada?

I used an US proxy for my work, and it all performed beautifully. Switching back to my EU home IP, it no longer worked, no fancy, intuitive results.

Got any info?

Ade Vitan, Jan 17, 2014 IP
  2. Janet Reeds

Janet Reeds Peon

Best Answers:
    I was wondering about this as well. I noticed that the top advertising adwords section is moved around.

Janet Reeds, Jan 17, 2014 IP
    Ade Vitan likes this.
  3. theprince

theprince Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hummingbird, announced in August 2013, is a change to Google’s ranking systems that tries to improve Google’s understanding of the true intent behind a user’s search query, by understanding the true, ‘real life’ meaning of the words and phrases used.
    In short, Hummingbird aims to make sure that for any given query, Google returns pages that are related to the meaning behind the search, rather than returning pages that just match one or two of the words in the search phrase. This is Google trying to understand conversational search.

theprince, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  4. theprince

theprince Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    for more information about this update you can read:

http://www.thinkabledigital.com/blog/long-tail-keyword-search-the-impact-of-google-hummingbird/?utm_source=ebook-seo2014&utm_medium=ebook&utm_content=hummingbird-list&utm_campaign=seo2014

http://www.isoosi.com/blog/hummingbird-the-opposite-of-long-tail-search.html

http://searchengineland.com/google-hummingbird-172816

theprince, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  5. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe such difference in search results is normal, as the searches from different countries provide different results, based on the optimization of websites for a certain country, language of website etc. For example I had a friend who was ranking in the first page of google.bg for a certain keyword and in google.com his website is nowhere to be seen. Further more, results differ even when searched from the same country, Google is basically tailoring the results to fit your search as close as possible.

Still, I might have misinterpreted the given info, and I would very much like to see someone confirming or denying that, based on exact experiences ;)

Rado_ch, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  6. Brijesh chaurasia

Brijesh chaurasia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    "Hummingbird" algorithm, claiming that Google search can be a more human way to interact with users and provide a more direct answer.
    and i really enjoy it.

Brijesh chaurasia, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  7. Ade Vitan

Ade Vitan Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, you are right with what you're referring to, but that was not quite what I was asking.

I tried the sample 'who is Obama' question on Google.com, and I did not get the expected hummingbird results. If I were to continue and type in 'how tall is he', google's hummingbird should have directly displayed Obama's height, but instead treated it like any other query.

What I was trying to say is that the new algorithm does not work the same all over the world and I would love to be able to enjoy it without a US proxy.

Ade Vitan, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  8. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, understood now, misinterpreted the information.
    In this case I would also be very much interested if anyone else have seen such difference in results, as this is something no one have observed and listed before as an issue.

Rado_ch, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  9. lightlysalted

lightlysalted Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've not noticed any difference yet, but to be fair Google is still the best search engine for returning acurate results

lightlysalted, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  10. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But I tried searching "who is obama" and Google (Google.com/ncr) provide me the correct information which is related to hummingbird update -providing the best user experience which is what is asking with the user and it's meaning but not in a word by word basis in search results.

KylieSweet, Jan 26, 2014 IP
  11. faizzsheikh

faizzsheikh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it could be restricted to US and Canada... because we do not see its affects in search results in India.

faizzsheikh, Jan 27, 2014 IP
  12. Ade Vitan

Ade Vitan Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, I do not find the same behaviour from Europe at the moment. Just like @faizzsheikh mentions, not all search results are affected, everywhere on the globe.

Is it possible it's US/Canada restricted at the moment?

Ade Vitan, Jan 27, 2014 IP