1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Disabling Wordpress Auto Updates

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by averyz, Jan 25, 2014.

This morning I spent some time disabling the auto updates through the wp-config files.

I am not happy about this.. Especially not having an easy opt out box for the auto updates in the dashboard. This was a very bad move for Wordpress IMO.

Auto updates out of the blue can lead to tons of problems.
    -Updates are not always smooth and can crash sites so now sites could all crash one random nite..?
    -Updates can sometimes cripple plug ins if the plug ins have not been made compatible.
    -Updates can cripple sometimes cripple themes leaving sites a dead white page.

Usually I wait a couple of weeks for the versions to get some buggs thinned out and then devote a block of time to updates. This give me space so I can create back ups, make sure plug ins will be compatible and have some time in case problems arise.

Very dodgy to just do updates at some unknown time automatically. I also do not like my site having others automatically messing with them with out my knowledge or consent.

Bad move Wordpress team.

averyz, Jan 25, 2014 IP
  2. QiSoftware

QiSoftware Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have two WordPress blogs on my hosting site. One-- is automatically updated and the other is not. I am assuming this is because I changed the index page on the one that is not updated automatically to accommodate an old existing template.

I have to agree-- I am a little concerned these auto updates are done without my consent.

Q...

QiSoftware, Jan 25, 2014 IP
    averyz likes this.
  3. rksy

rksy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  4. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess I should post the solution so the tread has an answer and is not just a rant.

To disable auto updates on Wordpress websites -

Go to the wp-config file and paste the following code in the file -

/** Stop all auto updates */
    define( 'AUTOMATIC_UPDATER_DISABLED', true );

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    averyz, Jan 26, 2014 IP