1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

500 Internal Server Error - Frustrating!

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Wonderboy, Jan 23, 2014.

Hello folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me with following error which I keep getting when trying to access my website:

I have contacted my Host who have said my website is using too much memory (I was allocated 512mb) and said I should optimise my website. It is a WordPress based website and I have W3 Total Cache installed to try and minimise the memory used. There are only 3 pages on the website so I don't understand how it can be using so much memory.

My error logs looks like this:

and I have thousands upon thousands of these errors in the log file.

My host has increased my memory to 756mb and that solved the error for half a day, but I'm back to square one again.

I would really appreciate some help to solve the matter.

Thank you.

Wonderboy, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  2. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those errors likely aren't due to you running out of RAM.

Try this: http://www.somacon.com/p520.php

That said, if you are indeed using over 756mb of RAM though, that is entirely inappropriate for shared hosting. When you start approaching 1GB of RAM usage on shared hosting (especially since your account does not include the OS, cPanel, etc.) it's time to upgrade to a VPS.

WSWD, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  3. Wonderboy

Wonderboy Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've just been contacted by my host who said they fixed the error and it was due to memory depletion. No further explanation was given so I'm not entirely sure what the problem was.

Wonderboy, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  4. mrgilb

mrgilb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used to run lighttpd on my vserver and the php was slowly leaking memory. Eventually I switched web servers and the problem went away. As long as your using normal scripts up to date its usually your hosts fault.

mrgilb, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  5. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's not true at all, unfortunately. It's usually WordPress plug-ins that cause memory issues like this, up to date or not.

WSWD, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  6. HalfDedi

HalfDedi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    from the imagick error logs, it's probably from a plugin that image related like generating thumbnail. try disable that plugin and see if you still getting error message

HalfDedi, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  7. MikeLugar

MikeLugar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How many pageviews and bandwidth usage are you seeing daily? Imagick is a php extension that can modify images--uses ImageMagick. Have you tried an upgrade or clean install of wordpress? You can do this through FTP and then rebuild the database without affecting your themes/data.

MikeLugar, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  8. showstopper

showstopper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since you're using w3tc you can try disabling the minifying option and use this plugin Better WordPress Minify to do the minifying and sometimes a 500 error can be caused by a corrupted .htaccess file .

showstopper, Feb 11, 2014 IP
  9. DomainerHelper

DomainerHelper Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "Module 'imagick' already loaded in Unknown on line 0"

You are running a crap plugin, that is what your issue is.

DomainerHelper, Feb 19, 2014 IP