1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DNS zone records

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by mbaldwin, Jan 22, 2014.

I got a new VPS setup, and I think there might have been a mistake in the setup with the dns zone records.
    This is on CentOS 6 with Cpanel and WHM.

Domain is example.com for example purposes.
    I have three dns zones setup
    ns1.example.com
    ns2.example.com
    server.example.com

Shouldn't all three of these zones be consolidated under one zone for example.com?
    I don't need a www.ns1.example.com

Solved! View solution.
    mbaldwin, Jan 22, 2014 IP
    Depending on setup sometimes cpanel will create what looks like a record for each entry of example.com. You can manually edit example.com and create the records and then delete the other entries.

Just remember if you consolidate to one entry and you delete the hosting account for example.com you delete the other records.

Mark

aGig, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  3. mbaldwin

mbaldwin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks,
    I don't think I'll be deleting the account. it is under root, as it is the main domain for the server.

4. aGig

aGig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen people delete and recreate the hosting account and forget about the other records for a few days.

For the most part I tell people to buy a domain for just server dns records without setting up an actual hosting account.

Mark

aGig, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  5. mbaldwin

mbaldwin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Mark,
    That is basically what this domain is for. no plans for a website or anything on it. I guess I will need it for the nameserver records and the server, and for mail. I will make one zone record, and if I break something, I'll be back to ask about it.

First time using WHM. I used Kloxo on my last server, and gave that up for webmin. still ended up doing a lot by hand. that is probably why my first VPS experience was not all that great.

Michael

6. aGig

aGig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its only an issue once :).

As you grow DNS clustering is easy to setup, or if your using SoftLayer or VPS.net they offer cpanel API to use their DNS servers.

Mark

aGig, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  7. mbaldwin

mbaldwin Active Member

Best Answers:
    it works, will pretty well. using
    www.intodns.com
    I get a few warnings because my nameservers are in the same subnet, and I don't have reverse DNS setup for my IPs.
    Not sure it really mattered, but I like having it in one zone file instead of a few different ones.

Now another issue to fix. When I got to my servers domain
    http://example.com
    it brings up another domain that is sharing that IP address

Michael