1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about creating a reciprocal link page.

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by YesAdvertisingProgram, Jan 7, 2014.

Hi,

I was wondering if I were to create a page on our site to hold reciprocal links from other directories, would it be a good idea to take the page and link it back to somewhere on our site? I was thinking of putting a link at the bottom of the index page that links to the page that holds reciprocal links, but don't know if that's beneficial or not (SEOwise). It seems a bit like endorsing the links to the other sites.

YesAdvertisingProgram, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Most sites will spider your site to ensure they can get from their home page to the page holding their link - just as Google will.

If their site isn't worth endorsing and they insist on a link back then you'll have to walk away. There are plenty more out there.

If a "Directory" insists on a recipricol link then it isn't a directory, it's a link exchange. You'd only go along with it if you knew that it would send a ton of traffic your way. Very few do that.

sarahk, Jan 11, 2014 IP
    iowadawg, Nigel Lew and ryan_uk like this.
  3. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Truly a waste of time. You are setting yourself up for pain. Avoid such out-dated methods of SEO. Spend some time re-learning SEO, but check multiple sources (including Google's Webmaster Guidelines) in order to avoid crappy advice that will get your site manually penalised or algorithmically demoted (or just won't help rank it whatsoever - it's pointless putting effort into something for no reward). If you approach if audience-focused rather than search engine then you have less chance of screwing up.

ryan_uk, Jan 11, 2014 IP
    Nigel Lew and Jim4767 like this.
  4. dodlly

dodlly Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    check this https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66356?hl=en

dodlly, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  5. Dittmoe

Dittmoe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very bad idea, reciprocal links haven't worked well for ages and nor should they.
    You are just asking for a penalty if you build out a recip page.
    I wouldn't recommend it.

Dittmoe, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  6. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    well i would prefer you not to do that because it would act as a poison link now ! :cool::cool:

John Dave, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  7. Lexy

Lexy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's a risk to be penalized for unnatural outbound links (I've already got such a penalty) and minimal benefits from those links. Besides, no matter where you put the link to this page, it will look spammy for the users. You'd better not do that.

Lexy, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  8. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why would you want a page of links to low grade spammy directories in return for links to low class spammy directories ? =s Negative SEO

I always thought it was funny when I would see that on sites "just put our link on your site" sometimes it would be some ghetto looking gif image that looks like trash.
    Like I want my website to look like an alleyway full of graffiti and trash, lol

averyz, Jan 19, 2014 IP
    sarahk and ryan_uk like this.
  9. YesAdvertisingProgram

YesAdvertisingProgram Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind and probably remove the links then.

YesAdvertisingProgram, Jan 20, 2014 IP