1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

As a freelancer how do you plan your day?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Prefixcontent, Nov 30, 2013.

1. ServicesForIM

ServicesForIM Peon

Best Answers:
    When I am "on duty" I do not surf the internet at all I focus strictly on completely the tasks at hand.
    I actually have posted hours in my house and work extremely hard during those working hours.

It is very easy to get distracted with Facebook, Twitter etc.

If you learn to avoid distractions you will become successful.

ServicesForIM, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  2. Sean DeSilva

Sean DeSilva Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A decade ago I was holding my back in pain as a lowly restaurant worker. Being 6'3" tall doesn't help in a crowded kitchen and I felt it pretty much every day. Back then I promised myself I would find something better.

Nowadays I work from my laptop on the couch, at the local Starbucks, or occasionally at my actual home office desk if I feel like it. I can't imagine going back to the type of life where you show up at a certain time and take orders from a boss.

Sean DeSilva, Jan 14, 2014 IP
    Snoopy240 likes this.
  3. FastCode

FastCode Peon

Best Answers:
    Hehe, that is interesting one.

When I started my own business, I liked to picture myself as working from home, from the beach, on some beautiful place, under the tree with laptop and wireless connection etc. And also, I can set my own hours, that sounds great too, at least on the first sight. :)

In reality, all beautiful places are just distracting me, and it's hard to work at home while kids are asking me something every 15 minutes, or on some beautiful place where everyone have fun while you must concentrate on project. Same is with working hours. I have a freedom to work when I want, that's true, but I still must put at least 8 working hours and it's most productive for me to get up early and start it.

So, the truth is that you have freedom of choice, but you must accept consequences. Although I indeed have freedom to work where I want and when I want (sounds noble lol), the fact is that I still have to work, a lot, on quiet place when nothing distracts me (best choice is office), and best time is morning. So my freedom when clashed with cold logic, told me to work regular hours in office, same like on classic job. That is simply most effective way. :D.

About planning, I divide tasks by importance. No need to do everything, can't remember that I ever got TO DO list done, but it is important to do those few of most important tasks. When planning, try to recognize which task could make biggest difference, and which could be ignored. Then concentrate only on most important task and procrastinate others.

FastCode, Jan 15, 2014 IP
    Snoopy240 likes this.
  4. Gary Chesnut

Gary Chesnut Active Member

Best Answers:
    Working from home requires self discipline and initiative. Without it, your business will struggle.
    It is a business and needs to be approached as such. If you did the same work at a traditional
    job that you are doing at your home business, would your boss fire you? IMO working at home requires
    a stronger work ethic. It's on your shoulders... you are the boss... you are responsible whether
    it's successful or fails.
    It's imperative to plan your work for the days, weeks and months ahead... and also to set goals!

Gary Chesnut, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  5. Amarkolom

Amarkolom Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually i try to check my mail always and then try to do my all social activities and then i try to make a blog on my personal blog, when all done then i come to digital points forum or any other like this to gather some knowledge.

Amarkolom, Jan 17, 2014 IP
    pitdark16 likes this.
  6. rymwriter

rymwriter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have been freelancing from 2009, but started to join freelance program site since 2012. I know what's like to be our own boss.we set our work our, schedule. We set the rule, the target, and the income. It is simple math, the harder we work, the better we'll earn.
    Traditional saying is old but true. "no pain, no gain".
    So, that is the thing that always motivates me.

rymwriter, Jan 18, 2014 IP
    pitdark16 likes this.
  7. pitdark16

pitdark16 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I start my day by checking some emails first and then my Facebook accounts and then watch some movies and then work on the day's task like writing some articles, reading some updates in SEO and then finally ending my day by checking my earnings and sleeping satisfied.

pitdark16, Feb 13, 2014 IP
  8. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I start my day by checking emails and drinking coffee, I never do important or technical stuff until I have had coffee and a shower. Before that mistakes can happen..

Everyday is different for me being a freelancer I do so many different jobs, building websites is my main job but I have to take phone calls/sales, meet with potential clients/sales, collect materials, design graphics, theme sites, seo work, everyday is different.

My biggest challenge is dealing with customers many people are a complete waste of time and will suck your business dry if they can. Some people will meet with 10 different web designers trying to collect free info before they build their own site on godaddy=waste of time, tons of people have "ahh maybe..$300-$500" and want a $5000 website=waste of time and a big problem if you take their money.

I work 3-4 hours then go out to run, hike, swim, bike, etc then come back and work 3-4 hours and at 5pm I am done working for the day. mon-fri I am in work mode other then that I do not take calls and do not care about work.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    averyz, Feb 13, 2014 IP
    pitdark16 likes this.
  9. Angela Hall

Angela Hall Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'd like to try to time blocking or time chunking technique because winging it isn't working. Too easy to get distracted.

Angela Hall, Feb 15, 2014 IP