1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Basic HTML & CSS Tutorials

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by HuggyStudios, Jan 16, 2014.

I've just started a new blog on my portfolio where I will be posting web development blogs every week. I'm starting from right at the beginning and trying not to be too "techy" using laymen terms.

This is the first time I've ever tried to do something like this so if you think there's any where I can improve let me know.

Planned tutorials:
    HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery and PHP + MySQL.

First tutorial: http://glenhughes.me/creating-your-first-hand-coded-web-page/

HuggyStudios, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You should probably explain keywords and numbered headings better. "Most prominent on the page" really has nothing to do with a H1's meaning, apart from it being the heading under which EVERYTHING on the page is a subsection.

Would also be nice if the page actually followed accessibility norms -- the fixed metric (px) fonts, non-elastic non-fluid layout, and illegible color contrasts in a lot of spots really works against it. The inaccessible markup, non-semantic markup, and script-tard nonsense isn't helping much either.

Seriously, with code like this:
    <div id="crayon-52d83011b4e38512958210" class="crayon-syntax crayon-theme-classic crayon-font-monaco crayon-os-pc print-yes notranslate" data-settings=" minimize scroll-mouseover" style=" margin-top: 12px; margin-bottom: 12px; float: none; clear: both; font-size: 12px !important; line-height: 15px !important;">

Throw it out and start over.

deathshadow, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  3. xtmx

xtmx Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that's the wordpress theme he's using.

To the OP, personally I like having more content on one page. I'd suggest a tutorial 2x-3x longer (people are visiting your site to learn something that they probably don't know anything about. They're willing and wanting more information than, for the sake of argument, an article about a new baby panda).

TBH though, this niche is pretty saturated already. You'll need to find a way to stand out.

xtmx, Jan 16, 2014 IP
    HuggyStudios likes this.
  4. HuggyStudios

HuggyStudios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The tutorials are aimed at at someone with 0 experience within web development so I don't really want to over complicate things at first and slowly build up the level of tutorials.

With regards to the WordPress theme it's just a free one I downloaded and modified a little to get the portfolio up and running. When I have some time (which is rare) I will hand code a new layout. Also you don't need to flame people so much, and try to keep on topic Mr Death Shadow.

Yes I agree more content would of been better. I'm going to link every single tutorial together as a step by step so at first it does seem a little vague but that will get better with time. Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks for the post. Yes that's what I intend to do for the next tutorial with creating an actual layout.

HuggyStudios, Jan 17, 2014 IP