1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Could chargeback occur after six months?

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by Penicillin, Oct 22, 2013.

Hi,
    There's a customer who purchased from my website 7 months ago, before I approve the transaction, I requested a copy of the card and ID, and to see his face by webcam, and he did what I asked, everything matched.
    So I approved the transaction and sent item digitally to him, and he said "thank you".
    The transaction wasn't suspicious, but I do that to all transactions to prevent chargeback, and so far I have zero chargback since I started my business three years ago.
    Today he talked to me and claimed that he did not receive his order, and he asked for refund or delivery.
    I have all receipts and a proof of digital delivery, depending on the nature of the item, it cannot be re-deliver.
    I guess he's trying to pull a scam, or he doesn't remember his order exactly.
    I also cannot issue a refund since it's more than 120 days.

Can he dispute this transaction since it happened 7 months ago?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Penicillin, Oct 22, 2013 IP
  2. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    no, 180 days since its passed,

creditcards allow a max of 180 days to dispute, most allow 90 days

secondly, the cost might not be financial terms as much as reputation , -ve blogpost = lots of lost business which you wont' even know that you lost.

for ex take a look at this - http://crankedcodeisafraud.blogspot.in/

if its a digital delivery, you can just send him the chatlog etc. usually he will remember it, if he's trying to pull of a fraud , he can't so move on. notify paypal about it over the phone, usually they will be able to guide you what to do .

competent123, Oct 22, 2013 IP
  3. Penicillin

Penicillin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nice answer, thanks.
    I lost chatlog, it was seven months ago, I only keep last three months chatlogs.
    I have all receipts and proof of deliver, I offered to send them to him, he refused.
    I asked him why now? he said I was on the hospital.
    Actually it was not PayPal payment, it was credit card payment through payment gateway (Authorize.net).

Penicillin, Oct 22, 2013 IP
  4. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    competent123, Oct 22, 2013 IP
  5. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on what he tells his bank. I've seen retrieval requests more than 2 years past the transaction date. If there was any ambiguity or guarantee that would extend what a person could consider the date the transaction was finalized, it would extend the chargeback deadline by that amount. In your case it sounds like a scam but you'd be amazed at how long past the transaction date I've seen a cardholder convince their bank to do a retrieval or issue a chargeback.

jestep, Oct 24, 2013 IP
  6. Nico617

Nico617 Peon

Best Answers:

Exactly what I was going to point out. I've seen some CB's come through for a penny auction client of mine after insane amounts of time has passed. There will always be exceptions to the rules...

Nico617, Jan 10, 2014 IP
  7. seofriend

seofriend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it can happen

seofriend, Jan 11, 2014 IP
  8. infanteria

infanteria Active Member

Best Answers:
    usually 40 days, 6 months - OMG, of course no

infanteria, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  9. Canadiangoldstien

Canadiangoldstien Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Chargeback typically occurs within 30 days from purchase. After this time has passed chargeback tyipcally dosn't happen for the merchant. I say typical because that is what usually happens, however exceptions can be made under certain circumstances.

Canadiangoldstien, Jan 14, 2014 IP
  10. magicworld11

magicworld11 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No! don't worry and carry on with your business as their is no way of chargeback now.

magicworld11, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  11. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    For PayPal it is 45 days I think so, but I am not sure if he can chargeback from his credit card.

ash1ey82, Feb 2, 2014 IP