1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best platform for ecommerce site?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by caesar15, Jan 8, 2014.

Hai friends,

I would like to start an ecommerce strore. I am in a confusion to go with either prestashop or magento. Please suggest me.

caesar15, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  2. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For starters, with no previous experience, I would say PrestaShop is the better of the two choices - it does not require coding knowledge, has tons of free tutorials, modules, themes and is also backed up by a very helpful community.

Although Magento is still a giant in the eCommerce business, I would offer it only to people that have an idea of what they're doing. It is still a flexible and reliable option, but takes much more time to learn.

You can also check for OpenCart as a starter - very user-friendly and intuitive and you can get an e-shop up and running in no time.
    At the end of the day, whichever you choose, do spare some time to read helpful materials before you start, so your business can easily take-off ;)

Rado_ch, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  3. Alexisnicholson

Alexisnicholson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you compare all E-commerce platforms , each has unique feature you need to discuss a E-commerce expert regarding your requirement.

Alexisnicholson, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  4. Solid Commerce

Solid Commerce Member

Best Answers:
    Magento is great for a lot of reasons, but these definitely aren't the only two options.

As far as Magento goes, though...it's got a huge support community around it becasue it's free and open-sourced.

Mind you, none of this support actually comes from Magento. But it's very easy to find certified developers, forums, and message boards that can help you accomplish just about anything you'd like.

Volusion is another shopping cart, and it's typically easier to manage than Magento. It's been around for a while, and a lot of people use it. What's more is that you don't need to be quite a developer to use Volusion...rather, a designer is going to help you out more for this platform.

Yet another option is 3dcart. It's one of the cheaper options, which is why a lot of sellers really like it. On top of this, it's got a very modern API, which makes it very easy when it comes to integrating your shopping cart with other solutions.

Hope this helps! You're more than welcome to PM me if you want to talk about this further.

_ Sean

Solid Commerce, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  5. Reed Daw

Reed Daw Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Caesar,

I've personally used Volusion and thought it was really easy to set up. As solid commerce said the difference is that Magento is open source, which means you will have to do a bit more developing than an all in one ecommerce provider like Volusion.

I'd say try out Volusion and/or BigCommerce, they both offer free trials.

PM if you need more help.

Reed Daw, Jan 10, 2014 IP
  6. eric.wall.351

eric.wall.351 Member

Best Answers:
    If you know how to install open commenrce then that has wide range of modules in payment gateway that you can use to give your client a flexible options for making transactions on your eCommerce platform.

eric.wall.351, Jan 10, 2014 IP
  7. eric.wall.351

eric.wall.351 Member

Best Answers:
    Ah sorry opencart* not opencommerce

eric.wall.351, Jan 10, 2014 IP
  8. johnmark03

johnmark03 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are various e-commerce websites available over the internet, most of the sites have unique functionality which distinguishes that site from all the other sites.

johnmark03, Jan 11, 2014 IP
  9. turdi

turdi Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hi,

I would suggest to think a little bit of what you will do with your ecommerce suite.

One of the things you should think about is will you sell only in your store or will you also use the other platforms, like eBay, Amazon etc. Probably at some point of your buisness you will want to expand and sell on multiple platforms.

In this case I would strongly suggest using Magento. Yes it is a little bit more complicated to handle but commerce buisness isn't easy. it has some free and very power full plugins to sell easy on multiple platforms or even manage several stores from one back office.

So think hard and read a lot before you'll make a desission. Because it can cost you more later.

Hope it helps, good luck

turdi, Jan 11, 2014 IP
  10. john.peter

john.peter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for a custom solution with more social networking option, there are some social ecommerce scripts available. You can search Fantacy - fancy clone.

john.peter, Jan 11, 2014 IP
  11. Alto Pluma

Alto Pluma Member

Best Answers:
    The key is to start it right by selecting a product that would not be costly later on.

Magento is the best option for that since it's free and has many features that you may need for future
    updates. Also, it is continuously updated to stay ahead and competitive. Lastly, it is the trusted choice of many customers around the world market.

Alto Pluma, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  12. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand what's with all the people recommending Magento, because its "free". Well, so are all the open-source shopping carts out there - PrestaShop, OpenCart, ZenCart, osCommerce, TomatoCart and so on, and so on...

They key is that each has a paid version, coming with many additional features. So when a comparison is made, compare all the free versions and see which one incorporates all the needed features for YOUR particular project. But for a user that is "green" in website building and wants to start from scratch and learn a new script, I would definitely remove Magento from the picture. ;)

Rado_ch, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  13. caesar15

caesar15 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hai all,

Thanks for the reply guys. I choose to go with prestashop. Actually the store is for my friend I'm just developing the site for him.:cool: I want some extensions and plugins for my store. Like tagging the product as "new", "featured" and filter plugin. :):)

caesar15, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  14. swasa

swasa Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, Check out Zeuscart which has come with the new advanced features - Responsive Design built with Twitter Bootstrap framework, More user & seo friendly & you can create your store for physical as well as digital download products. Have a look at the online demo& download Zeuscart. http://zeuscart.com

swasa, Jan 29, 2014 IP