1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can Googlebot analyse jQuery mousemove functions?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Silver89, Jan 9, 2014.

Basically I think one of my websites has been getting penalised for running a popunder.

There's two options for me, the first is to remove the popunder entirely but it converts highly so I'd rather not, the second is to somewhat modify the coding of the popunder.

At the moment the popunder works by mouse click on a link, if I were to change this to some sort of jQuery function which only fired if the user had moved their mouse then would the Googlebot be fooled into not knowing that it were a popunder?

The code also includes in it a line to open the window, I'm wondering if maybe Googlebot is picking up on that or just that some variables have popunder in their names?

Can Google really analyse javascript that thoroughly?

I suppose the only other option would be to make a jQuery popover which loaded via a fadeIn with a high z-index but I'm not sure that would convert so well...

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    Silver89, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It really wouldn't matter directly if Googlebot sees it or not, these days Google is all about measuring user experience. If users tend to not like it, that will tickle down to Google. Google can measure things like how long someone spent on your site by how quickly they return to search results after they clicked to your site.

If you get a large percentage of your users getting off your site quick, it can be a flag for Google.

digitalpoint, Jan 9, 2014 IP
    Silver89 likes this.
  3. Silver89

Silver89 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Okay thanks (wow a reply from the overlord of no one!)

The popunder was added in June 2012 and you can see from this graph what happened, I don't think at that time there were any Google algorithm updates? Penguin was later?

[​IMG]
    Click to view Large

Also if we look at the graph for bounce rate, pages/visit and average visit duration then they've pretty much stayed the same pre and post popunder? (June 2012)

[​IMG]
    Click to view Large

Seems purely the rankings that have suffered and I'm not sure that can solely been down to a popunder?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    Silver89, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, it wouldn't be just a pop-under in itself. But Google's algorithms the last couple years has been *very* geared towards measuring the quality of the site as perceived by end users. And it's going to be a lot of factors that only Google knows (more than simple things like page views, time on site, etc.)

What type of site is it? If it something that has a ton of content, but ultimately is light on "substance", those are the types of sites that took a big hit from Google in the last 6 months.

This is a pretty good resource for algorithm changes: http://moz.com/google-algorithm-change

5. Silver89

Silver89 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, that sites a html5/flash/shockwave gaming site so yes there's 40k+ pages but most have a description and a few user comments as the only unique content.

Maybe the pages that specifically compete in the rankings need more genuine content adding to help them along.

Thanks for that link, I'll take a look back and tie in the dates to see what possibly caused it.

Silver89, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are any of the games unique (like developed by you)? Google has really ratcheted down on sites that ultimately don't offer anything truly unique. They aren't banning them from the index or anything, but they are definitely boosting sites that *do* offer something unique and engaging for users.

Ultimately it's going to be a combination of a ton of things... The best you can do is just focus on making a unique site that end users love. Ultimately that's what Google wants in their search results now and in the foreseeable future, so it's better to focus on what Google is looking for (generally) than try to pinpoint individual ranking factors and focus on them. Those individual ranking factors change from day to do, but Google's ultimate goal is to return great/relevant sites to users.

7. Silver89

Silver89 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say 3-5% are unique, users can upload games but a lot are pretty low quality.

One thing actually, for a while there were adult category games (adult & hentai) linked to from the main page, it seems now a lot of our search queries are adult content related and that's certainly not ideal. We've since removed all links within the site to the adult content, added adult content filters and it's now only there from nofollow links that use images for the wording instead of text. Do you think that could have been a factor? The sites never received any penalties though and it still seems most analysis sites see us as a site with child related content.

There is a beta that's pretty much ready to go which is a lot better quality but I've been saving it in hope of rescuing the seo first, maybe that's not such a wise move? All links and website structure is the same in the beta but layout and code has changed.

Silver89, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If the new site is better for the user, I'd say go for it... it's not going to be an instant change in traffic, but again... Google is after long-term quality sites, so if users like the site better, you will tend to slowly rise up in Google's search rankings.

SEO really isn't about figuring out how to manipulate search engines anymore... now it's about just making the best site you can that users love.

Silver89 likes this.
  9. Silver89

Silver89 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well the old site is very dated: http://mostplays.com

and the new site is better functionality and look wise, makes use of pjax and flows much better... couple of things keeping it at beta stage atm though: http://beta.mostplays.com/

I think it's a big step up and hopefully the users and Google think so too!

The next stage is a mobile site as well now that we have mobile supported html5 games.

Thanks for that information, will help :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Silver89, Jan 10, 2014 IP