1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's Your Competitve Advantage?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Gary Chesnut, Jan 6, 2014.

I'm always thinking about ways to improve my business and one thing I think about regularly is my competitive advantage over the competition. In today's ever expanding global marketplace, it's crucial to have a competitive advantage. So my question/thought for the day is... what's your competitive advantage? What sets you apart from the competition? Do you have one?

Gary Chesnut, Jan 6, 2014 IP
    Suckerpunch likes this.
  2. wwstewart

wwstewart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow. That's a really great question, and it's something that everyone needs to think about.

Although it's not something that my "competition" doesn't necessarily have, I like to think that I have an ability to look at some kind of business model and see it for more than just what it appears to be. I suppose an example of this would be this: if you go to any affiliate website, you'll see someone selling something, like an ebook on, I don't know, making money online or something. Some people see this and say "this guy is selling me something that will teach me how to make money online!". What I see is someone who isn't just teaching, but they are creating products, using an affiliate delivery system, building authority, and thereby building referrals. It's not just as simple as someone selling a product. It's an entire business system. The difference is that I've figured out is that there are systems, and systems are key.

Sorry if that sounds convoluted...

wwstewart, Jan 6, 2014 IP
    Gary Chesnut likes this.
  3. Gary Chesnut

Gary Chesnut Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand what you're saying. I think that we think alike. I analyze things and see why certain things are being done rather than just looking at it at face value.
    If I see a big time marketer selling a product, naturally I look at what the product is but I also look at things like how they are marketing their product, how the product
    is packaged to create more sales, what are they doing to get affiliates....and so forth. When creating an online income, there's so much more than just throwing up a
    website or creating an ebook to sell. Anyone can do that. But paying attention to the details and going the extra mile to implement them will separate the successful marketer
    from the struggling marketer.

Gary Chesnut, Jan 6, 2014 IP
    wwstewart likes this.
  4. Snoopy240

Snoopy240 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Gary!

Good topic here!

I personally think that the best Advantage you can have with your competitors will be on how creative you are with your work.

I believe what sets apart an individual and makes him stand out from the crowd is their Creativity and the ability to create something very unique, and very, very valuable and delivered in a way not too many has before. I would say that creativity with value is what can really put you ahead of any competition if you are willing to take risks and do something no one is doing or at least not too many are doing.

I use my imagination when I'm building my blogs, my content, my videos, my logos, my marketing strategy, more than I ever thought I would doing this online. Your creativity will pretty much come from your Imagination - so it is important to keep an active mind and learn how to take the best advantage of your imagination and try to manifest it as much as possible.

Just my 2cents Gary!

Nice question for the marketers here!

:cool:

Snoopy240, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    wwstewart and Gary Chesnut like this.
  5. Lightsaber

Lightsaber Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Gary, I totally agree about going the extra mile part. Unless there is some patented cutting edge technology, almost every product and services have their competitors. I am in the servicing industry, and 2 key elements that sets us apart is over-delivering and communication. Communication may sound simplistic but many fail to deliver on fundamentals such as this. It takes some experience to understand what the clients want even if they themselves can't articulate it.

Lightsaber, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    wwstewart likes this.
  6. Gary Chesnut

Best Answers:
    Great points Freddy and Lightsaber! Being creative and over-delivering are two things many fail to do.

Oftentimes it doesn't take much to have an advantage because many people aren't willing to do that
    extra little bit to separate themselves from the pack.

Little things like what has already been mentioned as well as giving great customer service/support or
    giving your customer something of value for free when they aren't expecting it or even a simple email
    asking if they need help. With so many people getting bombarded with "buy this and buy that" emails,
    the last thing they expect is an email offering free help from a successful marketer.

When you give extra value to someone and help them not expecting anything in return from them, they
    take notice because they know your not in it just to make a buck.

Of course everyone wants to make some money but sometimes it's nice just knowing you helped someone.

Gary Chesnut, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch, wwstewart and Snoopy240 like this.
  7. wwstewart

Best Answers:
    The best part is that this is a great way to make a buck.

wwstewart, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    Snoopy240 likes this.
  8. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    It's more about how you sell your competitive advantage than the advantage you have. Once you know how to convey that you can fill a specific client need, they will come running to you.

Alyssa Lochmore, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    wwstewart and Snoopy240 like this.
  9. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Spot on, this is the one that works for us, lets call it "The Personal Touch". And it doesn't go to the extent
    of just being polite, helpful and knowledgeable (although even with just those 3, you are already ahead of many
    in the hosting business :) ).

Applying "The Personal Touch" is always understanding who you have in front of you, the client, not just a
    random account number. Its asking the right questions and getting to the core of the issue, so you can offer
    the best solution for it. Its realizing each customer's individual need and acting accordingly, offering not just
    a product that can satisfy it, but sometimes a simple piece of advice, recommendation, even an encouraging
    word of their progress.

The Personal Touch is something that seems like the simplest thing and yet most seem to fail in its deliverance :)

Rado_ch, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  10. Gary Chesnut

Best Answers:

Great points Rado! Our customers are real people with real problems and it's our job to help them solve the problem
    they are facing. So often in Internet Marketing, we get caught up in the Analytics (numbers) but it's paramount to
    remember all those numbers represent real people with real wants, needs, desires, challenges and emotions.

Gary Chesnut, Jan 7, 2014 IP
    wwstewart likes this.
  11. Stuart Walker

Stuart Walker Member

Best Answers:
    The content I provide upfront and for free is better than what most people charge for.

Stuart Walker, Jan 8, 2014 IP
    wwstewart likes this.
  12. EPol83

EPol83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Gary, is that a trick question? Id have to agree with Stuart in that I see so many sites giving away simple basic content that really anyone can find anywhere if they did a little searching. I guess you can say I try to seperate myself by making myself unique in the way I present my very useful content!

Great question,

Have a great year,
    Ethan

EPol83, Jan 8, 2014 IP
    wwstewart likes this.
  13. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Tenacity. You can knock me down 25 times, I will still get up and get going. I think it's essential to any venture.

qwikad.com, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  14. Gary Chesnut

Best Answers:
    Hi Ethan,
    Not trying to trip anyone up :)
    Just trying to get everyone thinking about how they can separate themselves from their
    competition in a positive way.
    Whether it's an online business or a traditional business, there are many ways to gain a
    competitive advantage...it just takes a little creativity or going the "extra mile".
    There's been a lot of good answers so far......so hopefully this thread is helping someone :)

Gary Chesnut, Jan 8, 2014 IP
    wwstewart likes this.
  15. wwstewart

Best Answers:
    I'm really enjoying reading the responses in this thread. Thanks, Gary.

wwstewart, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My competitive advantage is that I am a problem solver who happens to have stellar communication skills/training. When an issue arises I attempt get to the core of the matter quickly, while all the while staying in constant communication with the client.
    One has to know what to say, how to say it, and when to say it. Also learning to bite one's lip when necessary doesn't hurt either. Discretion is the better part of valor, no?;)

Spoiltdiva, Jan 9, 2014 IP
    wwstewart, ryan_uk and Snoopy240 like this.
  17. gambler53

gambler53 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, but I think Gary and Fred also make some valid points. In order to advance your brand, you need it all. You need to show your abilities and your creativity. However, giving away free product does help, but don't give your clients so much they won't buy. You can use your "Personal Touch" as well -- that creativity you have to find a way to convey your products and services are unique from your competitors.

gambler53, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  18. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    It's helped me, as I need all the help I can get. ;)

Alyssa Lochmore, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  19. Gary Chesnut

Best Answers:
    Hi Alyssa,
    If I can help in any way, let me know.

Gary Chesnut, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  20. riyadabc

riyadabc Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    without marketing it is not impossible to get traffic in a blog or a website. and forum is one of the great source of getting backlink by which we can get more traffic. Thanks Gray for your nice marketing website. I learnt many thing from your site. Thanks

riyadabc, Jan 17, 2014 IP