1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I make money on blogs

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Mem700X, Jan 6, 2014.

I have been running wordpress blogs for quite some time but my weak point has always been how to earn money from them. I know content is VERY important but how exactly can you maximize your earnings? For example, if I have a sports blog I have google adsense up. How do you make good money from that? Is there any other good ways of making money from it?

Who has had success?

Mem700X, Jan 6, 2014 IP
  2. Numenorean7

Numenorean7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How many unique visitors visit your blog daily?

Numenorean7, Jan 6, 2014 IP
  3. Lightsaber

Lightsaber Member

Best Answers:
    • Keep on improving your traffic. Keep finding ways to become closer to an authoritative site. I know you're up against the big dogs like ESPN, but I'm sure you have your own niche and unique selling proposition. Check out blogs such as social triggers for some tips on growing a blog.
    • One quick way you can probably drive traffic is get a breaking news, and start a topic on that in some related forum with a link to your site as a source. Something like that will probably spur a long discussion in the board.
    • Sign up for cj.com or some similar sites to begin promoting sports merchandise or with Zappos for sports equipment and apparel.
    • If your traffic is good enough, you can approach some college kinds sites similar to college humor, and get them to advertise on your site (that's a whole different topic)
    Hope that helps

Lightsaber, Jan 6, 2014 IP
  4. Gary Chesnut

Gary Chesnut Active Member

Best Answers:
    Besides adsense, you can monetize your blog with :
    • Affiliate links - Promoting someone else's product
    • Email List - So you can market to them after they have left your site
    • Create a product - Ebooks, videos, audio
    • Coaching/Consulting
    • Offer advertising on your site.
    Those are just a few ideas. The most important, you already mentioned....content.
    Provide great content that helps and informs your site's visitors!
    If you are providing great content, your visitors will return and also tell others about
    your site.

Gary Chesnut, Jan 6, 2014 IP
  5. OnTilt

OnTilt Peon

Best Answers:
    It's hard to say exactly which way to go since the query is very general.

I'd say that your best bet (got it?) for a sport blog is to search online for well known bookmakers who offers an affiliate program. I see on your signature website that you already offer sport predictions so why not point them in the right direction to make a bet as well? Even if your predictions are good most of them will end up losing whatever they deposit anyway.

Register, start driving traffic there and earn 25-50% of whatever your lead loses for a lifetime. That's a good deal for you!

OnTilt, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  6. Mem700X

Mem700X Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My sites are sports news only. Not betting site.

Mem700X, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  7. MrOnlineMoney

MrOnlineMoney Member

Best Answers:
    -You could use adsense
    -You could promote an affiliate product (something sports related) (Workout type products would probably work good too)
    -You could sell ad space

That's about all I can think of for a sports news blog.

MrOnlineMoney, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  8. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    You might have to brainstorm to come up with an idea of how to create an entirely new sports niche not already heavily market-saturated. That's a competive business, but if you have a passion for it and stay committed to your audience, your readers will notice.

Alyssa Lochmore, Jan 7, 2014 IP
  9. Stuart Walker

Stuart Walker Member

Best Answers:
    Google Adsense is only really profitable if you have high CPC or lots of traffic.

Selling banner ad space privately will likely make you more money if you want to just go the ad route but affiliate marketing is likely to be the most profitable for most blogs.

Search out relevant affiliate programs or products on Amazon, Clickbank, Ebay, ShareASale, CJ.com or other programs and work them into your content and emails.

Best thing to do is to actually recommend products you have used and can vouch for. Review them, show people how to use them and get the most out of them, how it can benefit them etc.

Stuart Walker, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  10. OM.SEOExpert

OM.SEOExpert Banned

Best Answers:
    You can earn by following ways:
    1. Buy Banner Ads
    2. Buy Affiliate links
    3. Buy Blogroll Links
    4. Buy Guest Post
    5. Google Adsense
    6. Publish News for big Sports Company

OM.SEOExpert, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  11. EPol83

EPol83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, one of the main benefits of having a blog it getting picked up with the search engines and getting organic search traffic.
    You need to do keyword research using the google keyword planner or some other tool and build content around those keywords keeping in consideration your on-page SEO. The other side of the coin is you need to product backlinks to your blog.

Be consistant with adding content as well as with your off-page SEO and over time you will build organic traffic from the search engines. You monitize with testing banners and placements.

Add a opt in form giving away something and monitize that funnel to produce both front end and back end sales for you.

You can run amazon ads on it as well. Just sign up to become an amazon associate

Really its all about testing your own page! What works for me might not necessarily work for you!

Hope I helped,

Ethan

EPol83, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  12. Gary Chesnut

Gary Chesnut Active Member

Best Answers:
    Epol gave some great pointers...especially....test, test, test to see
    what is working for you. Then continue building upon that.

Gary Chesnut, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  13. mrgadget

mrgadget Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Make sure your site's content is unique, otherwise adsense will soon ban your account.
    About income with adsense, it depends on a lot of factors, like: your Click-through-rate (CTR) (theme, content, position to put ads, etc) and Cost per click (CPC) (you'd hardly earn much with low-paid keywords.
    Good luck!

mrgadget, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  14. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You could sign up as an Amazon Associate and sell Sports related Goods.

Adsense could be another way.

Another way would be to sell customized T-shirts through TeeSpring

Ethan Alvin, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  15. MarketerRon

MarketerRon Member

Best Answers:
    You could use affiliate banners or links to products. Simply write a review on the product or products and include the affiliate links.

MarketerRon, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  16. Eugene_K.

Eugene_K. Member

Best Answers:
    Playing with adsense on wordpress website is kind of like gambling where you can suddenly lose everything.

I'd say - set up ad server (or sign up with ad network that runs one) or go on buysellads and look up for direct advertisers.
    Oh, and stay with cpm networks just for the sake of it :)

Eugene_K., Jan 9, 2014 IP
  17. gambler53

gambler53 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    She's right. But it also might take more than that. You might need to hire a professional consultant or perhaps a kind-hearted friend with some business savvy can sit down with you and brainstorm ideas based on your goals. Any activity that gets your site visitors active really helps.

gambler53, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  18. LeadMaster

LeadMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    All of the options mentioned are great to try. When it comes to affiliate products it is ideal to really build a connection with your audience so they understand you are an expert in your sector, sports. Then you can write a blog recommending a particular product that is available through affiliate options and visitors have a higher tendency of purchasing the product since it was recommended by you.

LeadMaster, Jan 10, 2014 IP
  19. jacob.baby

jacob.baby Member

Best Answers:
    You can even consider setting up an advertising networking website, using some easy and efficient tools like Inout Adserver www.inoutscripts.com. Anyway if you cannot get advertisers, it is of no use.

jacob.baby, Jan 10, 2014 IP
  20. Aviator Wayer

Aviator Wayer Banned

Best Answers:
    Google Adsense is the best option in my opinion and write long-tail keyword articles.

Aviator Wayer, Jan 11, 2014 IP