1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

GoDaddy Versus HostGator (as a host)

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by CandleKeep, Dec 6, 2013.

1. davisgd

davisgd Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've had GoDaddy for around 2 years and have never had any problems with them. I host about 35 sites on there. I don't do e-mail support, I just call GoDaddy directly when there's an issue. I've never had to wait on hold for more than 5 minutes. They have always treated me with respect and solved my problems on the first call.

Which is the best? Well, I guess everyone is going to have a different answer to that. If there truly was a "best" solution, then we'd all be using it. It's pretty much like asking which is the best car maker, Ford or Chevy? Everyone will have a different answer based on their own experience.

davisgd, Dec 20, 2013 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see nothing wrong with HostGator for basic web hosting.

And the only time you should be contacting "Customer Support" is for Billing conerns.
    And the only time you should be contacting "Technical Support" is for technical errors with THEIR set up not YOUR lack of technical skills.

NetStar, Dec 20, 2013 IP
  3. TheAnimatorGuy

TheAnimatorGuy Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on your needs. Hostgator got awesome support, while it is in so high demands, that their servers might be overloaded from time to time. Never tried GoDaddy as a host though.

TheAnimatorGuy, Dec 21, 2013 IP
  4. Matthew J Trujillo

Matthew J Trujillo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I never nor do I recommend people to get a hosting account with GoDaddy, I've had several sites hosted from various places and GoDaddy IMO is not that great. HostGator does a great job with sites and has never seemed to give me any problems I would recommend them.

Matthew J Trujillo, Dec 25, 2013 IP
  5. steve1040

steve1040 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    steve1040, Dec 31, 2013 IP
    averyz likes this.
  6. Chad Eztraffic

Chad Eztraffic Member

Best Answers:
    Hostgator is better than Godaddy in this case. But they both suck in my opinion. Since Hostgator was sold to another company, I feel that my website is slower.

Chad Eztraffic, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  7. pia D'Alia

pia D'Alia Member

Best Answers:
    I have used both hosts. For me I think hostgator is still better than godaddy.

pia D'Alia, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  8. EPol83

EPol83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What I like most with hostgator is their cpanel platform. I use wordpress for a lot of my stuff and I have found using fantastico delux in hostgators cpanel I can simplify things a lot easier. I purchase all my domains from godaddy and set the nameservers to point to hostgator which is where I have most of my stuff online.

Talking about the merger you mentioned, Thank you! Its probably what explains a couple of hickups in the past couple of days. Things seem to be smooth and right back on track again...

EPol83, Jan 3, 2014 IP
  9. Laurens xtra

Laurens xtra Member

Best Answers:
    I have never used Godaddy but I used Hostgator for a year. I just moved away from hostgator vps, don't go there. They will mess you up with poor technical support.

Laurens xtra, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  10. The Content Bloke

The Content Bloke Peon

Best Answers:
    Godaddy is one of the worst hosts. Their control panel is confusing, server speed is glacial, and transferring a domain from them to another host is a nightmare.

Hostgator is much, much better. I've never had a problem with them. My website loads quickly on their servers, but then, I have a fairly small blog that doesn't get a ton of traffic.

The Content Bloke, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  11. harmonyinfotech

harmonyinfotech Active Member

Best Answers:
    HG is better than GD but lately HG is having some problems.

harmonyinfotech, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  12. nicoo

nicoo Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you want to get a site up quickly for a cheap price, with good and quick customer support, and easy payment methods, hostgator is the way to go.

nicoo, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  13. Snoopy240

Snoopy240 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used to use GoDaddy for Hosting but after a while I switched to Hostgator mainly because I started building more blogs online.

Hostgator is cheaper if you are going to build couple of blogs and I guess GoDaddy Hosting could be good if you are going to host only one domain.

Hope this helps! :cool:

Snoopy240, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  14. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

They are now owned by the same company as hostgator.......

sundaybrew, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  15. atrevido

atrevido Active Member

Best Answers:
    Although hostgator have had a few issues lately, i'd rather stick with them rather than joining godaddy. I have to deal with various hosts as we work with many clients with various hosting accounts as we develop wesbites. Godaddy in my opional are just awful, every time we have to deal with them they cost us hours. Hostgator are always happy to help even if it's not their job to. But i guess we're all going to have vearied experiences with each.
    Liquidweb are also very good in my experience.

atrevido, Jan 6, 2014 IP
    Snoopy240 likes this.
  16. Solution Finder Info

Solution Finder Info Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't expect from a famous fish tavern to serve you best quality meat. I mean, the guys are experts at serving excellent fish and not excellent meat. Likewise, Godaddy is an excellent choice for Domain names but not for hosting services. We picked up Godaddy as the host for our website and their server is slow and didn't have a satisfactory response when we tried it from different computers and different places. We plan to switch to Hostgator after our subscription ends (actually, a bit earlier than that).

Solution Finder Info, Jan 6, 2014 IP
  17. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you move your site from Godaddy and then call them and tell them you want a refund for hosting you will usually get refunded for the time you have not used. I make all my clients move their sites from Godaddy before I will work on them.

averyz, Jan 6, 2014 IP
  18. Gazi Ammar

Gazi Ammar Member

Best Answers:
    I have used both hosts for my websites. Really disappointed with HG lately, their supporting went down. But godaddy is ok with hosting. Anyone tried amazon or gogetspace.com ??

Gazi Ammar, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  19. jdef

jdef Member

Best Answers:
    Hey,I use Servinio dot com for a couple of months and I'm really happy with their support,are really fast ...never seen something like that,it is awesome.

jdef, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  20. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    GoDaddy industry wise is usually considered a domain name provider over a web hosting company. As others have pointed out GoDaddy offers their own control panel which isn't an industry standard and doesn't offer the flexibility and options of the panels like cPanel. Many times high quality mid-level hosting providers are overlooked. There are good providers who have all the cutting edge technology and customer services standards that go beyond the more well known big names. Look a bit deeper, past the paid directories certainly, and you will see that there are a number of good providers whose names come up too infrequently.

JPC-Sabrina, Jan 20, 2014 IP