1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking to Sell Domains; Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by mrmins, Dec 31, 2013.

I thought these forums were the perfect place to do so; as I've been a member for a while now & have sporadically made posts, but when logging back in today have found that there are new rules that 3 members have to like my posts or something to that extent.

So I thought I'd go a different route & ask for feedback on a) where the best place would be to sell a domain if I couldn't do so here & b) if I'm asking for reasonable prices for my domains.

First domain is howtousetwitter.info

It has been around since 2012 & has had 8,299 unique visitors in 2013 in spite of limited to no promotion or updates. Unfortunately I just haven't had the time to update my websites. There are around a dozen or so posts with this website & can make someone quite a bit of money due to Twitter being a huge brand right now. The best way to make money would be with eBooks, HootSuite, etc. However due to the lack of content on this website I thought a good asking price would be $200 for it.

Second domain is sportsnewscenter.info

It has been around since 2010 & has had 4,870 unique visitors in 2013 in spite of limited to no promotion or updates. With a little bit of effort it could get back onto Google's first page for the search term "sports news" as it has been in the past when it was promoted. The best way to make money with this domain would be utilizing Clickbank, Commission Junction, etc. with promotion in your article. There is a lot of content with this website that drives traffic as all articles are in Google; so I'd be asking for $500 for it.

Third domain is studentloandebtsolution.com

It has been around since 2011 & has had 7,073 unique visitors in 2013 in spite of no updates or promotion since early 2012. The best way to make money with this website is using Simple Tuition & college related programs through Commission Junction that will pay a dollar or so for leads. There is more content here than the twitter site, but less than the sports news site. Since most of the topics have relatively decent search volume & limited competition promoting the website as a whole could lead you to monetary success rather quickly. I'd ask for $350 for it.

Final domain is educationalconsultantsnj.com

Only had this domain a few months; as I purchased it for a project that never came to fruition. It apparently has had over 164 unique visitors despite not even being complete. I think this would be a perfect parked domain for someone to grab some monetary value from. I'd likely just ask for whatever the transfer fee would be (likely $15) for it.

The first three domains would come with everything; as I'd have Host Gator provide a backup copy of everything for you. Luckily Host Gator has some great customer service so I'd work with them & potential buyers with any questions.

Any feedback based on what you see would be appreciated.

mrmins, Dec 31, 2013 IP
  2. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    as for places to sell:
    - there is the namepro's forums, and thats supposed to be a great place to sell domains (its free to list), but from my experience it sucks, with alot of threads there having only a handful of views, the chance of the right person seeing your domain for sale is low.
    - there is this forum (digitalpoint), but yes, you will need to be premium member, OR get the 3 likes to sell properly. These forums (compared to other forums) are the best as there are tools that verify that you own the site / domain and other forums dont have these features.
    - there is flippa... but flippa has some interesting fees.

I have bid on alot of sites, and DP forums sometimes seem to get a lower value for a sale then you might on a proper selling site such as flippa. But once you look at the fees for selling via flippa, (closing fee between 5% and 15%, listing fees between $9 and $250) you can quickly see that selling for lower on DP, might give more cash in your hand then if you sold via flippa.
    The other good thing with DP, is that being a premium member for $25, will let you list as many sites as you want whilever you are a premium member. OR just keep posting until you get 3 likes and then its free.

as for site valuation... Everyone likes to buy sites that have income, and this is going to heavily influence the sale. I have seen some sites that had spent big $$$ on custom coding, and content, and they are lucky to get $50. It is just something to be prepared for. IF someone can see the potential the site has, or if someone is starting a site in a similar niche, then they can see the value in your domain, and your content, and will likely offer you a reasonable amount, but alot of people will simply be looking at its current income, and be making an offer based on that.
    I am not saying this as I want to lowball you, but you need to mentally prepare yourself and something to consider before spending on selling fees.

matt_62, Dec 31, 2013 IP
  3. chriswriter

chriswriter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I know namapros have a side domain/website selling site aimed to be flippa competence and have heard price there is way too much better than pricing obtained through the forum itself.

Can't remember the name of such site though, but I guess you can find a link somewhere in namepros.

chriswriter, Jan 1, 2014 IP
  4. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @matt_62:
    Sometimes it's not the marketplace, but actually the domain(s) that aren't attracting the interest of investors. A genuinely great domain will not only attract offers from investors in any marketplace, but it will also generate offers directly through the domain(s) whois contact info. without being listed anywhere for sale. Like with anything though, it takes lots of research to figure out the target market, target audience, key statistics that boost value, how to market / advertise a listing to get the most views, how to present the domain for sale so it attracts more interest, etc.. Keep in mind that listing a domain anywhere for sale is only the first step. That's the easy part.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    scorpionagency, Jan 2, 2014 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your .info domains aren't worth anything. Let them expire. Your .com domains are worth the registration fee to someone looking for that exact domain which is still unlikely. Basically you have crap and won't make a dime. Sorry.

NetStar, Jan 3, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I agree entirely. Why would I buy a .info when I could get the .biz or .us or whatever? The .info domains are not a good speculative investment. The .com domains above are not really impressive, either. It is late in the business to be buying domains as an investment, anyway.

jrbiz, Jan 3, 2014 IP
  7. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Buying domains with the hope to sell for a profit is a business of yesterday. You will only make a profit if you are LUCKY enough to register a single word or common short phrase domain with a mainstream TLD.

CheapAirFlights4Everyone.com is NOT a valuable domain name. Why? Because it's long and undesirable. It's also easy to replicate with swapping out words. LowCostFlights4Everyone. CheapAirFlights4All. CheapFlights4You. Etc.

<InsertAnyWordHere>.info is also completely easy to replicate. .info's aren't branded like .com or even .net's are. There is no benefit from going with a .info over a .to, .am, .ws, .web, .co or .whatever.

Owning a domain name that is 2 years old or even 8 years old does NOT add value to the domain name. Domains aren't wine or champagne. If you have a 20 year old domain name you may be able to find an idiot who will buy it just to have it. But there isn't a value assigned to such a "vintage" domain name. They aren't antiques.

Having a domain name with 8k unique visitors per year doesn't increase it's value. 8,000 visitors per year is 20 ppl per day. It will make the domain name more attractive to sell but will not increase it's value. 8k per year is VERY low volume.

You can assign WHATEVER value you want to your domain names. But I'm telling you right now, even asking the cost for registration will pose a challenge to sell those domain names. I would place a bet that you won't sell a single one.

NetStar, Jan 3, 2014 IP
  8. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    info......yeah, they are not that nice of a domain for anyone ;( Let them expire and buy some .coms if you can, see the coupon thread here for good deals

sundaybrew, Jan 3, 2014 IP
  9. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I hate to say it..But you .INFO's are worthless. These are not end-user type domains that you would flip. The only use for "howtousetwitter" is to develop it and do something yourself, hoping that Twitter doesn't come and take it from you.

If you want domains that you would flip to end users you need to searching for names like "ChicagoPlumber" or "ChampionTechnologies". Just google the two and see how many similar companies fit these domains. These are the kinds you need to be getting!

FPForum, Jan 4, 2014 IP