1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Strange Back-linking Strategy Discovered

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by TrueVapor, Dec 22, 2013.

So I was looking at some websites back-links and I discovered something pretty strange. I kept coming across pages with articles on them and the articles may have had links in them but there was always a list of about 3 links at the bottom. The strange thing is that the articles were on sites that had no reason to have the article on them. For example there was a supposed small towing business website that had a "quitting smoking" article on it with links to different websites.

have you guys seen stuff like this? Are SEO companies making strange pages like this just to give their clients back links?

TrueVapor, Dec 22, 2013 IP
  2. spyindiaankur

spyindiaankur Active Member

Best Answers:
    I too have seen such kind of unrelated articles and back links on sites that have no connection with that kind of article and linking site. Many people do such kind of silly things to just get back links and the sites who allow those articles and links either charge money or just trying to increase traffic anyhow. There is no benefit of creating such back links and search engines may also penalize that linking website.

spyindiaankur, Dec 22, 2013 IP
  3. TrueVapor

TrueVapor Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know, The sites that are doing this are ranking high in the search engines. I think google is trying to prevent it, but it still seems to work for some. I guess it kind of like having a private blog network, I wish I had one but if I put all the time and effort into sites to just get links from I could never put time into my main site.

TrueVapor, Dec 22, 2013 IP
  4. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    It might work for some, at the moment, but Google could release an algo update tomorrow and destroy their entire business.
    These kinds of tactics are always being fought by Google, but people STILL take the easy options and risk it all anyway. If I had a $ for everyone I warned about duplicate content before Panda was rolled out, I could have retired a week after it did. Instead, I had plenty of those who ignored the warning emailing me days after it hit them asking me what to do to fix their site and get their traffic back... Hence the business I am now in, creating unique text for businesses and affiliates :)

Conran, Dec 23, 2013 IP
  5. baybay

baybay Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    not all backlinks to a websites are found on relevant sites. while relevancy is a very important ranking signals it doesnt mean that sites wont have links from pages like the ones you have seen.

baybay, Dec 23, 2013 IP
  6. tycho

tycho Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, these are typical blog network style links.
    Relevancy isn't an issue when link building. It's all about the link juice of the link.

tycho, Dec 26, 2013 IP
  7. Lue Hang

Lue Hang Member

Best Answers:
    Relevancy is a big issue when it comes to link building. You can still rank with out it, but if you want to compete big then you'll have to turn your tables a bit.

Lue Hang, Dec 26, 2013 IP
  8. tycho

tycho Member

Best Answers:
    Wrong, relevancy still isn't a big factor when building links. I can show you thousand of sites that use blog networks and paid links from completely irrelevant sites that rank well. Its about the quality of the link, not the relevancy.

tycho, Dec 27, 2013 IP
  9. Lue Hang

Lue Hang Member

Best Answers:
    If you haven't notice, Google is looking into this stuff. Of course you may still rank for keywords but you won't stay up in the search engines for long, at least not for years. I have done this and I too have seen many sites that have ranked without relevancy, but in the mere future, Google will hit you hard. I agree that quality is an important factor, and to build the BEST quality, you need relevancy. Look around more and you will see what I meant, read the posts in warrior forum or check out some of the courses this year on SEO.

Lue Hang, Dec 27, 2013 IP
    Conran likes this.
  10. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some of those site might just be dropped domains people turn into zombie sites to try to keep pr then sell links on them.

I get emails all the time with people trying to buy links on my websites, most of the links that want to place are not even relevant. I wont put non-relevant links on my sites.

averyz, Dec 27, 2013 IP
  11. tycho

tycho Member

Best Answers:
    Sure thing buddy! The best part is people like you make my life a whole heck of a lot easier. While you are focusing on building "relevant" backlinks and overlooking valuable backlinks I'm ranking my sites and dominating in the SERPs.
    If you think Google can scale backlink analysis based on relevancy you are crazy. Think about that for a minute, analyzing and determining relevancy for trillions of backlinks on top of their normal algorithmic computations.
    Google's goal is to make their algorithm only as effective as it needs to be to keep the SERP results relevent. What you are proposing is a datacenter alone worth of computational power to analyze links to that degree for something that even then won't change the SERPs enough.
    I've probably ranked more websites in my life than you have created.

tycho, Dec 31, 2013 IP
  12. TrueVapor

TrueVapor Member

Best Answers:
    Link relevancy..

I noticed on these strange link pages they would have a HI title with keywords about the website but the text was all jibberish. Maybe just a title with keywords make it relevant.

I don't think relevancy plays a huge role though.

TrueVapor, Jan 1, 2014 IP
  13. tycho

tycho Member

Best Answers:
    More like anchor text relevancy, not link relevancy.
    Take a look at the SAPE network and sites that are ranking because of it. These are links from russian websites about russian wives to english websites about dog training. These dog training websites are ranking really well and don't have a single "relevant" link. Kinda throws the relevancy thing out the window.

tycho, Jan 1, 2014 IP
  14. pia D'Alia

pia D'Alia Member

Best Answers:
    Is this a part of Black hat seo ?

pia D'Alia, Jan 1, 2014 IP
  15. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    According to google new guidelines putting more than 1 llinkin articles its spamming!

John Dave, Jan 1, 2014 IP
  16. pia D'Alia

pia D'Alia Member

Best Answers:
    thank you for sharing this..

pia D'Alia, Jan 1, 2014 IP